Nighttime:Do you REALLY not hear the baby?????

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Regular
With my first child whos now three, my husband had a million excuses why he didn't get up at night,. First it was "I cant hear her crying" which to me means "I choose to ignore the ear piercing screams 5 ft. away from me so my wife can handle it." Then he got clever and said "You are breastfeeding, whats the point of me getting up when I cant feed her?" which to me means "You are the one feeding her, YOU get up from a dead exhausted sleep and stumble across the room while I stay in bed under the warm covers."
I have another one due in 2 days,and I have to hire a babysitter to come sit at my house at night (WHILE HE'S HERE!) to feed baby while Im working overnights..when I should be getting MY rest.
How many of you guys PRETENDED not to hear the baby cry when you KNEW your wife/gf was exhausted? How do I make him see?
O yea..he can hear his phone ring. He can hear the tv come on AND GO OFF if he's sleeping. He hears the door. He can hear me quietly ask him to scoot over in the middle of the night. BUT HE CANT HEAR THE SCREAMS????
November 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Mommy2LeiahandOwen's Avatar Veteran
HI, I know exactly how you feel, my second child was born a mnth ago and my fiance at first would always hear him cry at night and would get up with him, but now that it has set in and he is older he seems to just ignore his cries until I get up and get him. It is really annoying that they put it all on us... it also annoys me that they use the excuse "Oh i have been at work all day" I sit and think well I have been looking after the a 3 year old and a 1mnth old all day and yet u expect me to get up with them at night too...

So I know how you feel. What I am starting to do is, if its his turn to get up with the baby I will wake him up and tell him to get baby as you are tooo tired etc

November 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Regular
Quote:
HI, I know exactly how you feel, my second child was born a mnth ago and my fiance at first would always hear him cry at night and would get up with him, but now that it has set in and he is older he seems to just ignore his cries until I get up and get him. It is really annoying that they put it all on us... it also annoys me that they use the excuse "Oh i have been at work all day" I sit and think well I have been looking after the a 3 year old and a 1mnth old all day and yet u expect me to get up with them at night too...

So I know how you feel. What I am starting to do is, if its his turn to get up with the baby I will wake him up and tell him to get baby as you are tooo tired etc[/b]

My husband has been helpful pretty much. My lil girl was born a couple days ago ansd hes been supportvie. Thankfully the delivery was very easy and im in no pain. Except for the breast engorgement thing...OOOOWWWW! Anyways, he gets up and gets me water and pillows and stuff if i wake him up.
November 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Shaney3401's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shaney3401
This topic really makes me laugh. My son is now a little over 3 weeks old and the "I can't hear him excuse" is the one he chose to use too!!! We all know it's a bunch of bologni!!! I'm lucky though Colin usually sleeps pretty well, but when he does wake up Robert(dad) gets a pillow to the face or a smack on the back to get up and feed him.

November 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Mommy2jnd's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2jnd
My kids are 2 and 11 months, and my fiance NEVER got up with either. Not ONE time. And he also said he couldn't hear them. Even though, if I didn't hear them at first, I got a strange nudge to wake me up. Huh.

November 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
It's been a long time since we had babies in our house, but I recall that my wife would wake up at the slightest noise from the babies, long before I'd hear a thing; I honestly think that moms are biologically tuned to that wavelength a lot more than dads are! However, the boss lady made sure I shared the pain; for about half of those late-night feedings she'd whack me in the head with a pillow and ask me to change a diaper and bring the baby to her for feeding!
November 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Regular
bea's always going on about that. I agree with DLY on this!
December 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Veteran
Well I have to say my fiance DOES help whenever he can. Some nights he works all night so I am used to gettin up with Noella but when hes home he lets me sleep and he deals with it. Its pretty good because in the mornings I sleep later and hes up with her watching tv. I like that a lot

January 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
~.Sally.~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think that women are more tuned into the small noises a baby makes. My DH did not hear our little one and he had the baby monitor on his side. One night I heard her crying and he was laid in the nursery on the floor in a sleeping bag with the baby monitor next to his head and he was fast asleep.
He has been great, I just think he was not tuned into her noise, he does hear her better now she is older.

Glad to hear your husband is helping you out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search