Children and Yard Work

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
kannee's Avatar Veteran
We've got a 12 yr old boy that I have help me with simple yard work, but I honestly believe I'd save about an hour if I did it all myself.

We've got a pretty big yard and I use a riding mower, but there's one little area I can't get to so I have him use the push mower to do it. He rarely does it well, so now I have him come get me when he "thinks" he's done. Of course, I end up having to point out all the areas he missed.

Then he cuts some more and comes and gets me. Samething happens... and so it continues until he finally finishes.

Now you have to remember that I'm usually still doing the front yard so I have to stop, walk way-way back in the back yard each time. What a PITA!

That's followed by a couple of very simple, 5-10 minutes things to do with many, many, many breaks in between which means those things can last another hour or so with me having to stop and check on them when he "thinks" he's done.

If I don't have him outside, all he'll want to do is sloth around his room watching tv. No self-respecting father can do that now, can he?

So I waste an hour of time walking back and forth checking on the little punk when I could be zipping around the yard for a little while and then in the house slothing around my own tv.

The things we do for our kids.
August 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
manoguitar's Avatar Regular
Yeah, but he's a "good helper"...lol If you didn't have him help you, he would grow up not knowing how to take care of a yard/house very well. I hate letting my daughter (2 in October) just sit there in front of the TV, but when you just need to get something done right then, that you can't possibly have them "help" with, you do what you have to do.

Yard work is fun isn't it?
August 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM
FFWRX's Avatar Regular
I think its good for them to have chores like that. I was push and riding my parents 1.5 acre yard when I was 12 and 13.
August 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
kannee's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I think its good for them to have chores like that. I was push and riding my parents 1.5 acre yard when I was 12 and 13.[/b]
Exactly the same here, but a little younger. If my parents were working in the yard, I was in the yard.

Jeez, we went out in the car one day last winter and he complained he didn't have heated seats in the rear. WTH?!?! Spoiled little punks.

He is a good kid, tho.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search