Leaving a job....what to say to boss....

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to give my notice at my job [I found another position that better suits our needs]. Its a daycare, I'm really nervous because I "heard" if anybody give their notice they'll be fired on the spot. While 2 people have given notices but one was close with the boss people, the other is only PT. They could replace me easily, I'm sure. No worries really...but I know they'd be ticked off because of who I associate with at work [the "trouble" group...long story short those of us who will not tolerate crap]. Anyways, I don't want to neccesary say I found a new job. I don't think thats appropriate. But my priorities have changed since August. I see DD for an hour and half MAX during the weekdays. Maybe 3 hours since I spend majority of the day doing school work, I couldn't do during the week. I know they don't understand that. The new position I'd be able to see her all day long, I wouldn't have 1 on 1 time with her..but still. Anywhere is better then where we are at now. I just don't know what to say to them when I give them my notice [which is very general - this will be my last day for DD and I, we thank you blah blah blah].

ADVICE!

I've got to be back at work in an hour [1250 EST], so any advice before then is welcomed!
February 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You really don't have to give them too many specifics, other than to say something along the lines of I appreciate the oppurtunity you have given me working here, however due to personal circumstances (changes in personal circumstances something like that), i will nolonger be able to continue. My last day will be such and such. Make sure its 2 weeks, so you don't get in trouble for not giving 2 weeks notice. Thank them again for the oppurtunity. Some employers require written notice of your 2 weeks, so maybe bring a typed and signed letter and you could say Due to changes in my personal circumstances, I unfortunately have to give you my two weeks notice and hand them the letter. Say my last day will be such and such.

HTH.
February 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, I do have something typed out. I will not be able to give a full two weeks [a week and half though] due to when the new place wants/needs me to start by [they really needed me to start this week...but they said by the 26th they'll wait til]. So, yeah. I've read someinfo onlin e, I feel comfortable. I kn ow they'll ask a lot of questions...but IDK. I just know its "time" to move on.
February 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How did things go?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search