What do they teach their kids?

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Veteran
So my BIL and DF think it's funny that they taught their nephew to say "Boobies" and go around pointing at their uncles and say "So and so's boobies!" and make stupid comments like that.
The MIL got the little girl to say "My Guli hurts" which is their term for private parts and the little boy says Penis and things like that.

My big fear is that the family is going to think that it's funny to try and teach my little girl that. I come from a fairly conservative family. I never said technical terms for things. it was always my chest hurts or I would tell my mom if I had a problem 'down there' I would never announce to the whole room 'my Guli hurts'

But I digress. My biggest rant is that my little neice will point to the baby's bottle and say " THIS ISN'T LIKE MY MILK! THIS MILK COMES FROM YOSHIE'S BOOBIES!" and then she puts her doll's mouth up to her breasts and says "I'M FEEDING THE BABY LIKE YOSHIE"

My SIL says that she picked that up on her own. But I don't think so...

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuiUMME/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
They are so freaking inconsiderate. I would not give them a chance to have them teach her that. Don't leave them alone with her, and if they try to do it in front of you, tell Brookelynn "We don't say rude things." And walk away. That is what I had to do with FIL when he always tried having Reed stick out his tongue and stuff like that.

Want me to come give them a piece of my mind?
August 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! I would have a fit if anyone taught my son those words. I hate the fact that he somehow picked up the word butt. I would prefer behind. I agree, don't leave her alone with them and call them on it if they try to teach her to be crude. I would totally say something like, "We don't say things like that, it's very unladylike."

August 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
mom2nate
Uh yeah never leave her alone with them.....my mom has a daycare and a set of siblings that she has does the same thing with dolls. Both Hailey and Holly take the dolls and put them up to their chest and "feed" them. Hailey, the oldest who at the time was like 3 or 4 walked in on me in the bathroom during "aunt flo" and said "You had a baby!" I said what and she proceeded to tell me that her mom told her that when you have babies you bleed afterwards. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, other than ok out of the bathroom now. When Holly sees you change a diaper on a little boy she will say "his penis isn't as big as my brother's."....What comes out of their mouths is awful and shocking considering their ages. It's amazing to me what some parents will tell their kids.
August 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Veteran
Wow, that is crude! That would bother me too. Just put your foot down and tell them you don't want your daughter using that kind of language.
August 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Veteran
I've threatened DF with his life about teaching Brookelynn those words but he still thinks it's funny. Guys A little girl mentioning penis' would have gotten my attention or the bleeding after having a baby. Some parents tell their kids WAY too much!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuiUMME/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At least that little girl will grow up knowing THE best way to feed a baby For the other stuff, I would bark at the parents about trying to teach my kid silliness and limit time spent together.

I wont get into my IL's kids.....ones on a one way street to jail (hes 15) and another me and my boyfriend fear will grow up to be seriously screwed in the head......

August 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sonya77's Avatar Hip Rockin' Mama
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would much rather my daughter say "vulva", "vagina", "penis" and "breasts" than go around calling things silly names like "hoo-hah", "va-jay-jay" and "that thing". Body parts have proper names, let's use them!! Our bodies are not shameful objects to be whispered about.

There are obviously some manner issues with the OP's nieces and nephews, but it's not the words they are using!

August 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Veteran
My big problem is her knowing the words and saying them in public. My neice once went to Olive Garden and got up on the table, raised her shirt up over her head and yelled "My Boobies!" Her mom and them laughed it off. I find that horribly offensive.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I never can recall knowing the technical terms for my anatomy until I was a lot older. I just didn't care to know about it. Or my mom said those are you're private parts. or down there. Why rush teaching them things they really don't need to know?

</a>
August 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
mom2nate
That's exactly right! I know the kids in my mom's daycare know waaaaaay more than I knew in jr. high! She's having trouble with an 8 yr. old and 9 yr. old constantly talking about french kissing and having sex.....which I think is totally ridiculous. To each their own, but in my opinion little kids should be little kids and not know so much at such a young age.
August 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Veteran
I agree with you! And what I'm kinda mad about is that the kids that are so "mature" and know all this knowledge will be teaching my kid about stuff she doesn't need to know about. I would be wary of those kids talking about kissing and such. It's a not okay for the 8 and 9 year olds to teach the 4 and 5 year olds what sex is.

</a>
August 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would much rather my daughter say "vulva", "vagina", "penis" and "breasts" than go around calling things silly names like "hoo-hah", "va-jay-jay" and "that thing". Body parts have proper names.......[/b]

I totally agree with you on this one. My kids know the proper names for their body parts but use them modestly. They would never, ever say them out loud in public though. My children are taught privacy and to respect their own bodies. They also know that their "vagina" and "penis" are private parts. I just personally feel like they should use the proper names not slang. A couple of friends and I had this conversation the other day. They all thought I was in the wrong for teaching them these words but on taught her son to call his penis a "winky" this is silly to me. To each their own though.

As for the breastfeeding, when Brynna (2) was born, my DSD (5 at the time) would pretend to breastfeed her baby dolls. I certainly did not teach her this, she just picked it up because that is how her sister ate.

As for a child knowing that a woman bleeds after having a baby is WAY too much info, IMO!

As a mother, you definitely have a right to decide what your daughter will and will not be taught by anyone including your ILs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search