Is your house a dumping ground?

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I came home from my baby shower today to find three very old, very dirty boxes of Christmas lights and decorations set INSIDE the baby's pack-n-play. (it's Sam's, but it has clean sheets in it and I've been putting together my hospital stuff).

I'm like where did this crap come from. MIL brought it from her friend's house 3 hours away. He doesn't want it anymore, so she figured since they were here at Christmas and we didn't have a lot of decorations, that we needed some.

Truth is, I have FOUR boxes of my own stuff at my parents' house in Michigan. We don't have it here because we just don't plain have room. Also, we have a 3.5 year old that likes to mess with stuff, climb and just generally not leave crap alone. (typical pre-schooler behavior, but MIL forgets that)

But EVERY.SINGLE.TIME someone doesn't want something, my MIL thinks it belongs at my house.

I don't know how to stop it!

January 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's not cool! Thankfully my ILs live too far away to do that. They have to take a plane to get here. Although, we do have a lot of their old furniture but that was welcome because we didn't really have anything of our own then. We inherited a couch, 2 chairs, a stool, 3 end tables, a coffee table, a sofa table, 4 bookshelves, a desk, some lamps, a canopy bed frame, a dryer, even a car at one point. But nothing since we don't live near them any more.

January 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd GoodWill it and say it was broken or make some excuse. DH hates doing that but they dump some real crap on us. It goes to charity.

"We already have one just like it"
"there were pieces broken and we were afriad it'd hurt the baby"
"Dh was (insert some way of using it here) and it broke"
"my (insert name of person she'll never see their house) could really use it and wanted it, so I passed it on"
I've gotten quite creative with some of my reasons that she doesn't see it in my house...

Or I throw it in the attic never to be seen again...

They always give us nasty stuff. but I'm kinda a neat freak and hate having junk placed in my home... if I want just I'll go out and buy it.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
THEY live 1200 miles away....her frriend lives 3 hours away. When we moved down here I got a quote from a mover based on a one bedroom apartment. Then she decided that we needed to clean her garage out of furniture......wound up doubling hte quote because we'd nearly tripled the weight of hte load.

January 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What the heck? That's just weird! It always seems like everyone thinks we need their old stuff also and guilts us about not taking it. But at least they don't just drop it off. I would definitely goodwill it. Someone else who needs it can use it. And I would definitely say something because who knows what they will drop off next time.
January 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1200 miles!!! How can it possibly be worth it to haul the stuff to you! Sheesh! Good luck on that one....just haul it to the thrift store or have a garage sale.

January 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My MIL offers us stuff constantly - we used to take her up on it when we first got an apartment because, well, we had nothing. lol. Now that we've been together forever and have a house, we're pretty much set... But she still insists we take their old stuff. I don't get mad, I know she means well, but it's still kind of annoying. For awhile I started saying we didn't need it, but then she'd just hold onto it and assume one of the younger children would one day want it. She holds onto EVERYTHING. Their house is clutter, clutter, clutter! I hate clutter, so this drives me nuts. Eventually I just started taking stuff and dropping it off at goodwill, simply to help HER out and get stuff out of the house! lol. I know for a fact neither of DH's younger siblings will ever want this stuff (they've said so). They've never said anything to me about not seeing this stuff in the house, so luckily I don't have to come up with excuses. She just hates to see anything thrown out... Well, I do too - which is why there's goodwill. There's always someone that genuinely has a need for these things. I just don't need five coffee tables and 800 cookbooks.

Oh, and DH has just informed me that MIL has been holding onto his crib so we can use it for our children... I bluntly told him no. He got a little bit upset about it, but I flat out told him that I have this perfect little picture in my mind about how I want our child's nurseries to look and I will not back down simply to make someone feel good. Tough. I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of being a b!tch here, but I don't care. It's going to be my first baby and I want what I want. If I'm going to carry it for nine months and go through labor I think I get a few luxuries! hahaha. I agreed to at the very least look at it, just in case it's similar to what I have in mind... But something tells me it won't be.

Sorry this got so long. I just really hate clutter!
January 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
emjay's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Oh, and DH has just informed me that MIL has been holding onto his crib so we can use it for our children... I bluntly told him no. He got a little bit upset about it, but I flat out told him that I have this perfect little picture in my mind about how I want our child's nurseries to look and I will not back down simply to make someone feel good. Tough. I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of being a b!tch here, but I don't care. It's going to be my first baby and I want what I want. If I'm going to carry it for nine months and go through labor I think I get a few luxuries! hahaha. I agreed to at the very least look at it, just in case it's similar to what I have in mind... But something tells me it won't be.

Sorry this got so long. I just really hate clutter![/b]
Well, there is a very good chance that the crib is not safe anymore. My crib, which I loved and wanted, was not legal anymore because of the slot sizes or something like that....so there is a good chance that crib is unacceptable.

Good luck.

February 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry this got so long. I just really hate clutter![/b]
Well, there is a very good chance that the crib is not safe anymore. My crib, which I loved and wanted, was not legal anymore because of the slot sizes or something like that....so there is a good chance that crib is unacceptable.

Good luck.
[/b]
definite big fat ditto on the safety of hte crib.

February 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
JustBreathe
Quote:
Oh, and DH has just informed me that MIL has been holding onto his crib so we can use it for our children... I bluntly told him no. He got a little bit upset about it,[/b]
haha Lauren! My MIL too! She has sooooooooo much of Mike's stuff "For us!"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search