Rant about anniversary and MIL birthday

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
June 6th is our first wedding anniversary so DH was planning to do something special with just us. I was thinking dinner and maybe a movie since we are planning a trip to see my family and pick up some baby stuff later in the month. We were going to just spend the whole day together because time together has been limited since he was put on first shift at his job and I am on second shift at mine. Friday and Saturday nights (after I come home from work) are the only times we have been able to spend together. I managed to get the day off work so I was thinking that it would be all romantic and fun. . . our last anniversary as just us and not as the parents of a LO.
Anyhow, I get a call three days ago from SIL who tells me that MIL's BF has planned a cookout for MIL's birthday on Saturday (her birthday is Friday 6/5) and that we are supposed to be there by noon. I say that it will be our first wedding anniversary, but was told in a roundabout way that since BIL is on the road as an OTR trucker, our presence was expected.
Okay, so I am a soft touch. I figured we could drop in, give her a present, have a hamburger, go and look at some baby stuff then finish with dinner and a movie. I agree to make an appearance at her function with DH.
Well, yesterday, DH tells me that his mother called to talk to him about Saturday. She said that since we would probably be too full from the appetizers, lunch and dessert that we should just plan on going to a late movie. I suppose this has turned into an all day event like Memorial Day Eve did (we were there from 11 am until 9 pm).
I am more irritated at myself than anyone. I mean it is our anniversary and DH would have told his mother and sister that we were not going to be able to make it if I had told him to, but I am chronically nice (ugh, I hate that trait sometimes). Since MIL is a cancer survivor and this is her first birthday since the divorce and her first one with her new bf & the first one in her new house, I am willing to put our plans on hold until Tuesday (my next day off work) when DH has promised to dedicate the entire afternoon and evening to making up for the postponement of our anniversary celebration.
Thanks for letting me vent.

June 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That really stinks! I would have probably done the same thing though because I'm too nice too! I hope that you have a pleasant day today and that you have a great anniversery celebration on Tues! Hugs!

June 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh being nice can suck at times I always say I am not going to do this or that but then usually give in to my mil. I hope it was a good day today and that you have a fantastic celebration on Tuesday!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search