What to do??? I need some opinions…

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
My in-laws are having Thanksgiving Friday in Asheville, NC. It will be about a 3 hr drive for us one way… I’m very worried about taking my 5 week old son. I’ve heard that the pressure change can hurt his ears and I’m not sure how he would do having to be in the car for 6 or more hours in one day… My in-laws really want us to go and keep saying they will be mad if we don’t… I just don’t think it’s a good idea… I want to do what is best for my baby… What do some of you think????
November 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
mom2nate
When it comes down to it you just have to do what's right/best for YOU. If you decide not to go and they do get mad then they'll get over it. Do what makes you comfortable and what's best for you and your little one and if they can't accept that then it's their problem. They just need to see that you're doing what's best for your son. Maybe try telling them that you just don't think he should be in his car seat for that long of a drive or suggest changing plans and hosting it at your house...make them drive to you? Good luck!
November 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ditto. They'll get over it, and if they don't, that's their problem. You have a new baby and if they can't accept that the baby comes first, tough. Can't they come see you, and if they have other people coming, can't they make it the next weekend or something?

November 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had a similar situation last Christmas..my daughter was 3 weeks old and my MIL wanted us to drive a couple hours away to do Christmas...before Delaney came DH told her that we were staying in town for Christmas and if they wanted to see us they could come to our house...well she decided she didnt want to do Christmas here. They were annoyed that we werent bringing the baby there for everyone to see...but I didnt want to drive all that way in the freezing cold and have them pass around my newborn! They got over it...Im sure if you do what you think is right for your baby..they will know that and hopefully get over it fast!

November 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Stand your ground and don't let them manipulate you. Your decision wont win you a popularity contest, but do whats best for baby.

My ILs want to take my dd to their daughters house ( so my SIL) on the Saturday and Sunday night after Christmas. They always make these plans and always assume its ok. But I'm going to tell them no BECAUSE 1) I don't want them driving around with my dd on a holiday weekend, there are lots of drunks and they are kind of bad drivers themselves to boot, 2) If they want to spend the extra time with dd they can just stay at our house. We seriously just moved into a much larger house so that we would have room for two kids and those ahole ILs when they visit. There is tons of room, SIL could stay here, but they don't want to do that because none of them like me, 3) MIL and SIL fight constantly and I have made no secret that I don't like dd to be exposed to that. It sickens me.

ANYWAY If you let them win this one they will expect it everytime. So just say no.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search