Just a little rant

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 07:51 AM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday DH tells me that his mom told him she wanted to set up a once a week get together for the 3 of us. Oh joy! We already spend a lot of time with his family (IMO) at least once every week/two weeks. I said that, and he said, "but not just to see her"...yeah cuz that's what I want to do! (NOT) I often have to force myself to go to these family get-togethers! And I know there's a selfish reason behind her idea because that is how she is, one of the following:
- I am pregnant (her 4th grandchild) and she wants to make sure she's secured a way to see our baby a lot (and I don't even want her around our baby much to begin with!)
- She is looking for a way to score some free meals/errands that DH will pay for (she is very dependent on others and expects her kids to pay her way all the time)

UGH. Nothing has been decided yet, but I CANNOT do this. If we just sit around her crammed and messy apartment, I am bored to death, all there is to do is watch tv. If she comes to our house, we are feeding her, and sitting around bored watching tv (and I'm pregnant, I do not want to play hostess, I hate doing it to begin with!) Anything else costs money and we don't even do things by ourselves because we are trying to cut costs and save money.

Also, it already feels like there aren't enough days/hours in a week to just relax and have time to ourselves, on top of other chores/errands that need doing.

I just wish we could move far away from ALL family so we don't have to deal with these things!

March 31st, 2010, 09:21 AM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I am sorry that you have to go through that. I completely feel your pain in the sense of moving away. The difference is you want to be away so that you are not close enough to visit, but I am not wanting to be here period and live with my in-laws. I hate every second of it. I am hoping that my husband gets an answer here soon.
March 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, your situation is definitely worse than mine...I always feel bad complaining when I know it could be so much worse. I'm sorry you have to go through all that, I hope things get sorted soon!

April 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG1385 View Post
Yesterday DH tells me that his mom told him she wanted to set up a once a week get together for the 3 of us.
That's nice that MIL wants to. That doesn't mean you have to do it, does it?

Does DH want to see his mommy once a week? If you already see the ILs once every week or two, that means you see the ILs at least 2-3 times a month. That's a lot, if you ask me. You're pregnant. You should be getting your rest!

Jenn
April 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Veteran
I think you should encourage your husband to see his mother and let them bond alone. If she's coming to your place, then go out and leave them home alone. Can't you just chat on the phone adn then have to go to the bathroom so it is a short chat? Also get a honeydew list so your husband can get to his mom right after he works on your list.
April 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I don't think HE particularly cares if it's just the three of us versus the whole family. Seeing her is seeing her. It's no different! And as for seeing the whole family, I've been trying to back off of that as it is, why would I want to add more on??

We did end up having her for supper on Saturday. But we still never fully agreed on anything, so if it comes up again this weekend I'll put my foot down and say once a week is too much!

I wouldn't necessarily care if he went to see her on his own, but then I know she would likely rope him into taking her grocery shopping and PAYING for everything. I don't think that would satisfy her, though. Not so much that she wants to see ME, but that I'm carrying her grandchild and wants to be part of it all, blah!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search