We live with his parents.....

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran
So, we've been living here since august of 2009. I'm so ready to get out and get back into my own place. We are here to get caught up with our debt and save money to buy a new house. Here's the rundown..... his mom never cleans after herself. The house is sucha disaster all the time and I spend majority of my time off work cleaning up after 4 adults and 4 kids. Its a decent sized house too. We do her traditions at christmas. mine get pushed to the side.

my fiance and i have 4 kids, he has a son from his first marriage and I have 2 boys from my first and we have one togther. TJ (fiance's first born) gets away with everything with the inlaws, where as my children don't. They are quick to get onto my 18 month old before they do the 5 yr old. Its so annoying.... I asked my fiance what we were going to do about christmas once we do move out and he had the nerve to say that his parents would just have to spend the night with us on Christmas eve! I'm so frustrated at this situation. i just wanna scream. I want my time with my kids and fiance before the rest of the family shows up. I will not have them staying the night with us christmas eve. I want to do my thing ya know. She even takes over my kids birthdays, Buys them a cake and does it all. Its my kids ya know. she bought the baby his first christmas outfit and was lke he has to wear this. I'm just so annoyed because she keeps stepping on my toes as their mother. what do I do ladies? any advice?
January 31st, 2011, 09:00 PM
I too have a severely overly dominating MIL and I feel your pain! We are living with my in laws for similar reasons as you and I am about ready to move into our camp tent. I too have to clean up after everyone or I get yelled at for not pulling my weight. I also get accused of doing nothing because I work a job that has non traditional hours so they never see me get up at the crack of dawn to go to work. They see me "sleeping in" (never mind I didn't get to go to bed until 1-2am). I have also felt the pain of the holidays and lack of inclusion especially since my family lives on the other side of the country. But the worst is that my sister in law (who is the favorite "do no wrong" child over my DH) had the first grandchild (my MIL acted like it was the second coming of Christ) and since we don't have our first yet, my SIL got to decide how I spent my holiday this year.

We are still in the process of TTC our first child so she isn't doing anything to kids yet, but my SIL had to yell at her several times to get her to back off of sicking her nose into the raising of my nephew. And she treats my DH like he's 15 and has tried to muscle me out of my wife job for our entire marriage. My MIL doesn't comprehend someone asking nicely but she breaks into tears at the drop of a hat making you feel like the bad guy for yelling at her to let you take care of your own family. For this reason, my SIL has all but cut them out of her family's life altogether and honestly my DH and I are convinced as soon as we move out we will have to as well.

It took my DH a long time to understand what my MIL was doing and how it made me feel, I was even considering moving 3,000 miles away and in with my mom. But now that he does understand, he backs me up and stands up to his parents as much as he can. I can't tell you how much better I have felt just knowing it's me and him against them instead of me feeling like I had come in and ruined their perfect family. Honestly I'm not sure if there is much else to be done until you move out. You can say something, but you do risk making a tough situation much worse. We feel like we can't say much of anything because they are letting us live there and they can choose to discontinue that arrangement. I can tell you that her behavior probably won't get any better even when you do move out.

What we have done for Christmas is put up a tree in our bedroom and put all our presents for me and my DH under it and before we leave for anywhere else or go into the main part of the house we sit on the floor and do our own Christmas in their before they even know we're up. We went to our own Church's eve service and if they had some tradition planned when we had planned ours we just apologized that we couldn't make it to their thing and did our thing.

As far as the kids Birthdays are concerned, something my SIL has done is to preempt her mother as much as possible. Example being, she has let her mom know before her mom has a chance to plan anything when the birthday party will be and where and that she is welcome to come at the time the party is set to start and no she doesn't need to bring anything other than a present, the cake is already ordered. She will even give her an invitation. She has her own home so that is easier for her to do, but maybe there is a friend who would let you "borrow" their house so that she has to go somewhere and can't butt in as easy. No one solution is going to work for everyone so I don't know if any of this is helpful, but Big You're not alone!
February 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Veteran
hey there, my MIL is annoying in a different way, we dont live with her (thank god) but she still manages to annoy me. her daughter had a son a year before i had my daughter and because her daughter didnt have a baby daddy my MIL kinda helped raise him, so she has him every second weekend and never has any time to spend with just my daughter, she is always rude to me and is very out spoken about her opinions and only lets Nicole she certain members of her family because she don't like them. my problem is that she doesn't treat both her grandchildren equally and trys to dictate who my daughter sees etc. she also has no problem yelling and swearing at me (in my house with my daughter in it) like she owns me.

maybe someone needs to invent a replacement agency for in laws lol
February 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
**Nicole**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok so i know what you mean fully...i moved in with my OH and inlaws in 2007. we had are 1st June 2008. they were pushy(yes both mil and fil) they always came in to are space because that's were their grandchild was. did not matter if we were dtd or i was getting dress after a shower or even trying to feed my child..(bfing). with Christmas for two year i had to spend it with his family because there was a big fight blah blah well last year i told him we are going to my mothers who lives 3 hours away and we are not coming back for 2 weeks. then this year we moved into our own place (omg i was so happy ) on dec 1 and i told them that on Christmas that they are not welcome at our place till noon because we needed to do our family thing and if they did not like it well they dont have to come.

for the whole kids from a different dad thing well there is no way that will change. no matter how hard you try they are not her "real grandchildren" and she is going to show that to you and them even if it hurts you guys...and for that i am sorry and i am sure she is missing out on something great with you 2 children...her lose

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search