what would you do?

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By summer70

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you see a problem with how an inlaw is acting do you think its approprate for you to speak up or should you just talk to DH and have him speak up?

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
October 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Super Mommy
It depends on how the action makes me feel. I have a tense relationship with my MIL plus we live several states away. SO, if I hear or see her doing something with my children that I have a very strong reaction to I may get my husband to handle her. My strong reactions result in confrontations usually. If it is just something I am not comfortable with I will try to handle it myself in a respectful manner. However, she is dense about everything when she wants her way and my husband typically has to be sent in to reinforce everything I said/say. Which still doesn't go well but atleast he is the one having to confront her not me.
November 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran
i wish there was a right answer to this... as my family i can easily talk to them with any issues and that inclues there SO... but my SIL was liing with me i had issues with her so i talked to my bf about his sister as it seemed like she was always avoiding him well everytime i talked to him n he talked to her it seemed to make matters worse as he was then hated and then we were both the bad guys. either way its a lose lose situation for us when it comes to that with some people
December 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
Well since my DH NEVER stands up to his mother. It is usually me that has to say something and then she plays like she had no idea and she was so sorry so that it makes me look like the bully. I never have problems with my FIL or step MIL but if I did I would probably get DH to talk to them because they already think I am over the top and don't let my kids get dirty enough or eat enough sugar..things like that..LOL
December 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
acj0890's Avatar Veteran
I make my husband deal with his mom because she is crazy and always plays the innocent act. He is afraid I will snap at her and say something I shouldn't (and I can't say that he is wrong about that. . .) However, he isn't very good at confronting her and getting mad when he should, so I'm in a no-win situation it seems. I've already flown off the handle with her once, and I'd rather not be the one to look like the b**** again when I really didn't do anything.
January 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
It is most appropriate for your husband to speak up. This is not because there is anything wrong with you speaking up, this is because it will be most effective for him to be the one to speak up. He needs to deal with his family and you, yours. This removes any accusations that you are just an outsider. You are already the one who married in, so it is best to not put yourself in the middle of their family dynamics.
OatmealKisses likes this.
April 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
In most cases, your DH should speak to them since they are his parents. I have had my DH speak to his father about inappropriate, offensive things his father has said to me a few times.

However, if it is regarding your children, then I think either one of you can speak up. My DH and I don't have children yet, so it's not an issue for us. I really believe, though, that you should be able to speak up any time if your in laws are doing or saying something to your children that you do not agree with.
May 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran
Dh and I usually discuss it and decide the best approach is.
October 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
MrsEskimo's Avatar Member
I usually keep my trap shut. LOL I didn't get along with them in the past so now I try not to rock the boat and just ask hubby to have a word.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search