Sibling "Thunder Stealing"

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone!!

This is my first time posting and I could really use some advice from other mothers!
My DH and I have been together for 9 years this September, married for 2 years this June, and this is our first pregnancy. We are both over the moon!!!

Last week, I took a HPT which was positive and then confirmed my pregnancy with my GP. She puts my due date around December 30th and I have my first ultrasound booked with my OB on May 28th.

My DH and I have not told anyone yet and plan on keeping a lid on it until after the ultrasound. We live in a different province than our parents and it is really important for us to tell them in person when we visit in June, instead of over the phone.

Now my brother and SIL just announced to their parents and siblings that they are expecting and are also due the end of December. I am very excited for them [this is also their first pregnancy ] but I feel like their "early" announcement has really stolen our thunder.

I know this was not their intention -- and I know 2 grandchildren due at the same time is going to make my parents ecstatic -- but I really feel like our announcement will be less special because we're waiting to tell everyone and they beat us to the punch, so to speak

Can any one advise on how to make our announcement as equally as exciting as theirs?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Laura612; May 18th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
June 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the moral of the story here is that you can't control anyone else's actions, so you need to make the most of this. Once you announce your brother and sister in law may feel like you are stealing their thunder because they just announced their pregnancy and all of a sudden you guys come in and take that attention away (that they might have thought they would get for the whole 9 months + after the baby's born.

I would Just accept the fact that you will both be sharing the 'thunder' however look at it as bonding time with your sister in law, you can share pregnancy 'war stories' and get really excited for each other.. and depending on where they live know your children will have a relative their own age to play with at family functions etc.

Why not come up with a cute and creative way to announce your pregnancy, a video, a gift opening, putting a bun in your oven and having them find it etc... at least this way you'll have the feeling of still being special while sharing your 'moment'

Tags
first pregnancy , pregnancy announcement , pregnant sibling

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search