Grandparents rights

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jennifer*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone ! Just wanting to ask a question ... I have been having issues with my MIL since the day my son was born seven year's ago . My husband was deployed and we got in a fight over her smoking near my son . Anyway we have never been able to get along since . I was at her house once when he was 2 I think and he having a fit so I told him if he didnt stop we would leave . She basically picks him up and throw's him at me , she then say's f**king take him (keep in mind she is a Teacher ) However she never does this in front of my husband or anyone else . After I had my daughter she basically ignore's her ... We all went to Disney and for some strange reason she wanted to watch a movie well my Daughter at the age of 1 wouldnt stop crying so we had to leave ... she walks out and in front of both kids say's I am very worried he's not going to like her when she's older . Weird stuff like that she sent my daughter and baby doll for her birthday that had no hair ... However my son she will spend 3,000 dollars on in a drop of hat for whatever he need's .

A month ago my husband's sister who is just like her mom send's a email saying she heard I wouldnt allow her parent's down the summer ... Which I never said ! She then goes on to say it's no big surprise and ask what I am hidding ?!?!? She then say's she feel's bad for our children... It has been no stop drama with the family for year's so we have cut all ties . The thing I am worried about is her going for Grandparents rights ??! She has saved all the email's I have sent her ... nothing bad basically just saying I don't want her around my son . I don't think she would have much ground but I am worried if something ever happens to him what she would say or do ? She is Teacher and carries herself well ... Just a very crazy person . Any advice ?
June 14th, 2012, 10:04 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How about hiding a tape recorder on yourself and paying her a visit. Maybe you will catch her doing/saying something.
The Kimber likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
BY LAW you can record any conversation you want and NOT tell the other party AS LONG AS you do not use it in CRIMINAL COURT. To use it in criminal court you must make them aware of the recording as you do it. i would know, I have done this many times.

June 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe it is different in the USA, but I have never heard of any such thing as 'Grandparent 's Rights' in Canada. If you as a parent choose to not allow your children to see their grandparents, it may be heartbreaking for the grandparents, but I do not believe there is anything they can do about it. It does sound like there are some major issues, and if anything were to ever come of it, I would suggest some family counseling. By doing that you may be able to mend the problems, and allow your children a relationship with them (even if you don't go, but your husband takes the kids), but there would be a good chance your inlaws would refuse, and that would be your 'leg to stand on' refusing to let them see your kids, in the event there was a legal fight.
June 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Regular
In California, the grandparents have to show that they have had a relationship with the child and that it's in the best interest of the child to continue the relationship. Google your state and the words "grandparents rights" and I'm sure you'll find something that shows the guidelines used in your state.

Hopefully she won't take it that far. You could always try changing your phone numbers or file harassment charges if she won't leave you alone.
July 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of grandparent's rights but that just sounds ridiculous. Unless a grandparent has actually been raising a child in the place of the parents I see no reason they should have any rights. My father will never even meet our children if I have anything to do with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search