What do you.....

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
love about your IL's?

What irritates you most about them?

July 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
*Bry*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
love about your IL's?

What irritates you most about them?[/b]
Lately there isn't too much that I like about them...I don't even know where to get started in all of this..LOL~~~

They are just rude; the things they do or should I say "don't do" are rude!!!!!!
They only see their new grandaughter once a month if that and then they act towards everyone else like they are the grandparents of the year...
They never offer help to us when it is plain to see we need it..our basement flooded and they knew it but never offered to help us out (and mind you they live 5 mins away) we didn't have hot water for like 2 days and no washer/dryer, you'd think they would offer to help since we have a baby but nope
When I had Jaden I had a C section like so many other mommies and they never even offered any help to us whatsoever. I mean our neighbors were smart enough to at least make us a meal so we didn't have to cook for a weekend (a huge thing of Lasanga!!)
I mean my inlaws just don't think
I'll send them an email (my MIL) and ask "Please let me know what time Christmas dinner will be so I can make plans" (I have a 13 year old son from a previous marriage who goes to his Dad's house too on Holidays, etc) And she won't reply or answer me until dh finally just asks her. Or she will say "5" and things are never ready at "5" it's more like 6 or 7
Ummm what else....???? Oh they call dh and they only call him when they need or want something other than that they never call here..but they will call and expect dh to drop everything and run over (which he usually does which makes me irrate!!!)
They never "plan" for anything...
They just think they can come over here at whatever time they want at the end of the day...like 7 or 8 at night, that's too late for me...
They will call 5 mins before they want to come over
They HATE the fact that since we had the baby we ask that they and everyone else calls first before visiting us
They hate this
When Jaden was smaller we asked that everyone wash their hands before holding Jaden...(we continued to do this up until 2 weeks or so ago but now we let it slide) and my inlaws --especially MIL flat out defies us on this...One week she went to grab Jaden and I said "Can U wash your hands?" And she got mad, got up and said "I just did before I left the house." Whatever..if you wanna hold her and care enough about your grandaughter you will wash your hands.
The very next weekend she came over and did the same thing again..dh said "wash your hands." And the funny part was FIL was in the kitchen washing "his" hands so MIL didn't see this and remember she too was supposed to wash her hands?
We asked MIL not to come to the hospital when I had Jaden until later...we wanted to have some moments together (hubby, jaden, and I) and she got mad and said she would come when she wanted to
Nice huh? I think this is where a lot of my issues started with them she did not respect us enough to respect our wishes...
And the fact that I had to lay in recovery trying as hard as I could to move my legs (i had a spinal) so I could get out of recovery quicker before she got there is down right ridiculous. And ladies I did..I tried so hard to get out of recovery fast so that I could get to my room and see my baby girl with my husband before she got there...
DH complains about them too but then when they come around and be nice then he forgets everything and is all nicey nice with them which bugs me
I can tell my MIL is fake and two faced...
They went for almost 8 weeks without seeing Jaden just not to long ago..
I used to update them by email and let them know how she is doing..cuz I send these updates to many others as well but I have since quit because if they want to know they can pick up the phone and call and ask. I'm done letting them take the easy way out.
I am not one for the phone anymore, it's easier for me to type 1 email and send it to family and friends..faster that way too..
Hubby should call them and give them updates once and awhile but he doesn't..because he has been disgusted with them as well..but when something comes up he jumps..Like...he went to a funeral visitation with his dad yesterday for a co worker, he was at his parents house and they invited us for dinner, for pizza hut pizza..he tells me and gets mad at me cuz I don't wanna go..then we get into a huge fight over it and eventually i end up going but let me tell you if they could not tell something was wrong with me then they are blind.
this is really becoming an issue between dh and I...
So come everyone tell what your peeves are..and how you and your mate deal with it!
I could tell so much more...but I got to run for now!

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow yet we forget that he is someone today."

M&M's ROCK!
July 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Not much irritates me anymore about my IL's except something that sticks in my head is when Cody was born. The day we brought him home from the hospital, we stopped over there and it was feeding time. I was still right then having a problem with my milk coming in so we decided to give him a bottle. My MIL went into the kitchen to heat it up for him & my FIL rushed right into the kitchen, shooed my MIL out of the way and said "she has a hungry baby to feed, I have a hungry cat to feed and Sam has been part of this family for years."
I could go on and on about my older BIL though. He is such a jerk. On Thanksgiving right after Cody was born, him and his wife came over to my ILs just for a little bit. His wife was holding Cody & he was giving my DH a lecture about kids being a big responsibility, he needed to grow up, etc. HELLLLLLOOO?! My Dh has been a "dad" longer than his brother because he has been raising my older 2 kids since they were really young.
When I was pregnant with Cody, we announced the name for the baby and word spread like widfire. So a few weeks later they got a dog and named him...you guessed it: Cody. We were like OK WHATEVER. So at Christmas Cody was sick and my DH had to go to the 24 hour pharmacy and pick up some medicine for him. While he was gone his brother and his wife were talking and all of a sudden I hear something about "letting Cody out." I snapped my head around because as a parent you do that when you hear your childs name. My BIL looked at me and said "the dog was here first." So I said "ya but you could easily change the dog's name, my son's name is legal.: Also, my DH's nephew was so confused because he could not understand how his cousin could have the same name as his dog. But we know his brother waited until my DH wasn't there because he doesn't have the guts to say anything like that around my DH.

I love my IL's because even though in the beginning they were not happy about my DH being with a woman with kids already, they now accept my older 2 children as their grandchildren. All 6 of the grandchildren are treated the same.
My MIL bought our home with cash because we were trying to get back on our feet and we are paying her back. if it was not for her, we would not have our home.
My IL's will watch the kids if needed, such as for work, when I had to travel to Florida twice last year, my DH's company Christmas party, celebrations for our birthdays, etc.
My MIL loves to take the kids school shopping. It's not something to ask her to do but she wants to do it. DH's brother is such a snob they won't let her do anything like that for his kids so I am the nice guy. Hey, a grandparents job is to spoil the kids. My grandma used to take us school shopping too.
My MIL is there to talk to about anything. She knows a marriage can be rough, she has been married 42 years so sometimes DH or I have called her for advice.
My MIL does not actually meddle and when she does a little bit, I know it is with the best intentions. Something that irked me was her finding stuff on the 'net abot autism and how we needed to go totally organic. But I know she meant well. When my DH had his TIA (mini stroke), she got information off the 'net about it so I could understand it more.
My MIL always makes it a point to even remember my birthday by sending a card through the mail. I don't expect a gift from her so just knowing she was thinking of me makes me feel really good.

So that is about my ILs.

July 24th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Veteran
Oh where do I begin? First of all I can't think of anything I like about them. Nothing.
Now for the stuff I don't like Mil is a control freak, and since I don't bow down like a dog who's been whipped (like everybody else does) she hates me. Which is fine with me, that way I don't have to talk to her much!
Her and my sil (dh's biological mom) won't tell him anything about his biological dad, not even his name.
Well, other than bad mouthing him. "he wanted me to have an abortion" Well, along time ago mil told me the story of how she had made the appointment to have the abortion. She was supposed to go the next day, and Mil was taking her. Fil is the only one who talked her out of that! So, don't give me that story about him being such a bad person if you were gonna do it too!!! They bounced him between siblings for a couple of years before they settled down.
Ok enough about that, I just get mad when I think about it!
I'll write more later about when I had my son... all hell broke loose
July 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM
littleangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to littleangel
Quote:
love about your IL's?

My FIL and step MIL, I like them enough they don't do much that irritates me, but then again they don't do much for me to love either. they are nice when we are around and that is really the only time I have anything to do with them. When DH is not deployed (which he is right now) his father will call him about 1 time a month and will talk to me for a few minutes if I answer the phone.
Now my MIL and her husband (I don't even call him family I jsut cannto stand him at all)...where oh where do I start...
let's see here I started having problems with my MIL the day we got married. We just went to the court house and she drove 8 hours to be there, which I thought at first was nice. Then after we got married and were walking out to the cars to go to dinner DH was gone with his mom. She said later that she does not get to see him much and saw a little bit of time to have him to herself! Hello we just got married!!!! That was 4 years ago. So since then I will hear all about how wonderful her son is, which most of the time he is, but he can be a pain in the a** but I don't dare tell her. i am too white for her, i am too fat for her (I weigh about what I should so I don't think i am fat) I need a boob job, now where does she get off telling me that! and what is she doing looking at me like that?
But When I had Rebekah DH was getting ready to deploy to Iraq in just a couple weeks. She came to visit and I did not want her here. DH did not understand because his dad had been here for a few days before hand I did not have a problem with this (they stayed in a hotel though and gave us our space) His mom and her husband and his grandmother stay in our house. She is all over my DH taking up the very last few days I have with him. i am spending all my time up stairs because I was nursing the baby and she was being very rude about it trying to make me feel like I was abusing my baby for feeding her this way. Then while upstairs I could hear them talking about me. DH was running around trying to get ready to leave. Made me feel so unwelcome in my house...made the 2 big thing in our lives something about her rather than about us. Then trying to talk to her...forget. She is right and I am wrong. i am the one who made her feel unwelcome, oh well. though i did tell her I was sorry she felt that way i would never want someone coming to our hosue and feel like that. What did I get nothing! Then I start to talk to DH about everything. He was hoping that things would get solved without him getting involved. i am mad at him as well but nothing I can really do until he gets home. I told her since she wanted to be here when he gets home (after an 8 month deployment and he left when the baby was 2 weeks old) that she wanted to be here! I told her she could come to the airport but was not welcome in my house, after a week or so maybe. So DH wrote her and told he would not know for sure for awhile and that I would probably only get about 6 hour notice. She wrote him from what he told me "you do not have to make excusses for your wife"!!!!! WTH. He was pretty upset about that.
So anyways I decided I would not talk to her anymore. but stupid me being the nice wife I am call his mom the other day. She acts like she does not even care what is going on with either of her grand kids. Then just is slient. So I get off the phone with her. I send out e-mails to update family every couple weeks to every month and send out lots of pictures, she used to respond, not anymore. DH told me to stop sending anything to her, but I feel like she should get them since she is the grandma. Whatever. only problem is she is his mom so I have to be nice, but it is getting harder and harder each and every day. We are going to see them in Oct after he gets home. I am trying very hard to find a way to tell him we can stay at his dads house or a hotel not her house, but I feel if I tell him what I want it will cause even more problems. So anyways I hate her. She thinks she is right no one else. She thinks my DH should kiss the ground she walks on or something and only worry about her. At time I feel like I am fighting another women like girlfriend or someting) She will call when he is home after midnight because she is high (yes she smokes pot) or drunk and "needs" to hear his voice. he has gotten to where he will not pick up and will tell her not to call after 9 pm. She will not call the house when he is home, only his cell. When will she see his is married and has his own problems!!! OK well that is longer than I thought it would be...and the sad part is I could go on and on and on.....But really i am starting to really fear that when he comes home this could start some big problems for DH and I.

July 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Meegan
There isn't much I do like about them. DH is blind, of course and thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But he is slowly seeing the way his mom manipulates the family, and tries to control everyone. She has 4 sons, no girls, and she thinks of anyone who marries into the family as competition. It is almost incestuous! She gets her way with just about everyone, except me. I won't put up with her crap. And now that I have given her a grandchild, she watches what she says, because she knows if she pisses me off enough, she won't see him. I know it's terrible, but seriously she made my engagement a living nightmare. She changed my flowers, food, rehearsal dinner, you name it, she changed it. She even wore a tiara on MY wedding day....sick huh? And when she danced with DH for the mother son dance, she clutched him for dear life and bawled her eyes out. Way to make me feel welcome to the family. And my FIL is a moron. He called me by DH's ex girlfriends name at our rehearsal dinner, in front of everyone. And he has a huge mouth and is a terrible gossip. He has already told everyone in the family that DH and I are trying for another baby, which is total crap. But he has to be center of attention, just like MIL.
July 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
love about your IL's?

My FIL and step MIL, I like them enough they don't do much that irritates me, but then again they don't do much for me to love either. they are nice when we are around and that is really the only time I have anything to do with them. When DH is not deployed (which he is right now) his father will call him about 1 time a month and will talk to me for a few minutes if I answer the phone.
Now my MIL and her husband (I don't even call him family I jsut cannto stand him at all)...where oh where do I start...
let's see here I started having problems with my MIL the day we got married. We just went to the court house and she drove 8 hours to be there, which I thought at first was nice. Then after we got married and were walking out to the cars to go to dinner DH was gone with his mom. She said later that she does not get to see him much and saw a little bit of time to have him to herself! Hello we just got married!!!! That was 4 years ago. So since then I will hear all about how wonderful her son is, which most of the time he is, but he can be a pain in the a** but I don't dare tell her. i am too white for her, i am too fat for her (I weigh about what I should so I don't think i am fat) I need a boob job, now where does she get off telling me that! and what is she doing looking at me like that?
But When I had Rebekah DH was getting ready to deploy to Iraq in just a couple weeks. She came to visit and I did not want her here. DH did not understand because his dad had been here for a few days before hand I did not have a problem with this (they stayed in a hotel though and gave us our space) His mom and her husband and his grandmother stay in our house. She is all over my DH taking up the very last few days I have with him. i am spending all my time up stairs because I was nursing the baby and she was being very rude about it trying to make me feel like I was abusing my baby for feeding her this way. Then while upstairs I could hear them talking about me. DH was running around trying to get ready to leave. Made me feel so unwelcome in my house...made the 2 big thing in our lives something about her rather than about us. Then trying to talk to her...forget. She is right and I am wrong. i am the one who made her feel unwelcome, oh well. though i did tell her I was sorry she felt that way i would never want someone coming to our hosue and feel like that. What did I get nothing! Then I start to talk to DH about everything. He was hoping that things would get solved without him getting involved. i am mad at him as well but nothing I can really do until he gets home. I told her since she wanted to be here when he gets home (after an 8 month deployment and he left when the baby was 2 weeks old) that she wanted to be here! I told her she could come to the airport but was not welcome in my house, after a week or so maybe. So DH wrote her and told he would not know for sure for awhile and that I would probably only get about 6 hour notice. She wrote him from what he told me "you do not have to make excusses for your wife"!!!!! WTH. He was pretty upset about that.
So anyways I decided I would not talk to her anymore. but stupid me being the nice wife I am call his mom the other day. She acts like she does not even care what is going on with either of her grand kids. Then just is slient. So I get off the phone with her. I send out e-mails to update family every couple weeks to every month and send out lots of pictures, she used to respond, not anymore. DH told me to stop sending anything to her, but I feel like she should get them since she is the grandma. Whatever. only problem is she is his mom so I have to be nice, but it is getting harder and harder each and every day. We are going to see them in Oct after he gets home. I am trying very hard to find a way to tell him we can stay at his dads house or a hotel not her house, but I feel if I tell him what I want it will cause even more problems. So anyways I hate her. She thinks she is right no one else. She thinks my DH should kiss the ground she walks on or something and only worry about her. At time I feel like I am fighting another women like girlfriend or someting) She will call when he is home after midnight because she is high (yes she smokes pot) or drunk and "needs" to hear his voice. he has gotten to where he will not pick up and will tell her not to call after 9 pm. She will not call the house when he is home, only his cell. When will she see his is married and has his own problems!!! OK well that is longer than I thought it would be...and the sad part is I could go on and on and on.....But really i am starting to really fear that when he comes home this could start some big problems for DH and I.
[/b]
Did you quit sending her the updates in emails?
I did on my end with my MIL
LOL
Although I slipped today I sent her a few pics of Jaden...
Only because oh I don't know I wanted her to see how cute she was and what she misses out on since she never freaking calls and hardly visits her?
LOL

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow yet we forget that he is someone today."

M&M's ROCK!
July 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
littleangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to littleangel
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
love about your IL's?

[/b]
LOL
Only because oh I don't know I wanted her to see how cute she was and what she misses out on since she never freaking calls and hardly visits her?
LOL
[/b]
Today i sent out an update on Tori's first day of 1st grade with pictures and guess who was NOT on the list. DH said for me to stop so i did. Now I do have a photobucket account going that I post TONS of pictures for him on so since all our families do have the password, she can go look. But she will tell him what cute girls we have and what not and thanks for the pictures! Hello he is not taking them nor is he the one taking time out to send them to her!!!! I am done with her for the time being!
I cannot beleive they don't come and see Jaden more...and she is so cute how can they stay away?!

July 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HollyF @ Jul 24 2006, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
love about your IL's?

[/b]
LOL
LOL
[/b][/quote]
Today i sent out an update on Tori's first day of 1st grade with pictures and guess who was NOT on the list. DH said for me to stop so i did. Now I do have a photobucket account going that I post TONS of pictures for him on so since all our families do have the password, she can go look. But she will tell him what cute girls we have and what not and thanks for the pictures! Hello he is not taking them nor is he the one taking time out to send them to her!!!! I am done with her for the time being!
I cannot beleive they don't come and see Jaden more...and she is so cute how can they stay away?!
[/b][/quote]
Good for you for not sending them an update. Be strong..now if I can be strong too!!!! The way I look at it for me is: I'm making it to easy for my inlaws!!!! I'm not making them "have" to call & see how she is doing, etc. So I'm done with it all. And don't you hate when they tell the dh 'thanks' --etc when they have to clearly know it's us doing these things? I mail out the b day cards, etc. but guess who they say thanks to? DH !!!! It's my writing on the cards for God's sakes! And my in laws don't really even ever say thanks...on Fathers Day FIL actually told hubby thanks for the fathers day card but that's the first time in awhile --anyway I'm the one who signed the card and mailed it...Arfff!!!!
Be strong!!!!!

M&M's ROCK!
July 25th, 2006, 05:03 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
Though Brandon's father looked down on me before even meeting me, I met him with an open mind. He seemed to be very nice and open to me, but soon after having our daughter he went back to his usual hateful self. There are so many things I cannot stand about both of his parents:

-They are SO judgemental.
-They're nosey. They go through DF's phone to see what we're talking about.
-They're controlling. They didn't want DF seeing me so they tried to have his car taken away.
-They tried to tell me how to take care of myself while pregnant, and feel the need to bash my parenting. I OMG give my daughter a pacifier when she needs the extra comfort sucking, and it's just so, so wrong. (Although there's nothing wrong with allowing their 2.5 year old child drink coffee from a bottle, run around screaming BANGBANG with toy guns and chew gum..)
-They're not brave enough to tell me how they feel about me to my face. They badmouth me to DF and act sweet as pie when they're around me, except for when they're nitpicking my parenting.
-They think that because they claim to be Christians (yes, throwing things at your spouse and abusing her children is something all Christians should do.) Brandon and I need to be too. They pray that "Brandon won't accept my evil ways" because we're both atheists.
-Brandon's father is jealous of my relationship with Brandon. Pat does nothing but spend all of his time telling Brandon what a failure he is, what a horrid person I am and how crappy our lives are going to be together. Brandon and I have an amazing relationship and he's told Brandon that I'm "taking Brandon away from him".

I really could go on and on but I'll spare you all!

July 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there is anything I like about my IL's. SIL is ok at times and in small amounts but since she is nearly a carbon copy of her mother...

It really irritates me when they critise our choices. We choose to have a child while I was still a student. It means I get to be a SAHM for two years before I finish and that is a bad thing apparently. We choose to get married younger than they were and start a family younger than they did and that is also apperently a bad thing.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Kirin&#39;sMommy's Avatar Veteran
What i love about my MIL well let see she is very good with my daughter I have to say that.

BUT it really irritates me for some reason it like she has to buy her love she is always buying her things and my daughter gets so confused that she thinks that things I bought her my MIL bought her. Also my MIL get very upset very easy like if she cant find something she start screaming and yellin and throwing things around it very crazy. She has recently gotten remarried too. Dh dad passed away about 6 1/2 years ago. So her new husband thinks he is stepping into the roll has my FIL and that really bug Dh and I because I was with Dh when his dad passed away so He'll always be my FIL.
July 28th, 2006, 08:02 AM
** Mandy **
love about your IL's? they would be there for us whenever we needed them

What irritates you most about them? they forget sometimes that they aren't the parents of our child (or our future children which they already talk about and assume we are having).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search