Never ever ever never...

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
...marry a man who works with his parents.

My MIL puts DH down on a daily basis at work and so he always comes home in a bad mood. He hardly talks to his dad and when he does its usually a fight about the factory. They also expect him to do overtime for no extra pay, be called in on the weekends when the place should be closed and this also gives his mother full access to what DH earns. This then leads to my MIL again putting DH down, usually by saying that we were stupid for wanting kids now as in her eyes we can't afford it, even though she has no idea of what I earn.

It also means that any family problems are bought up at work and no work gets done. He would quit and get another job but he stands to inherit the buisness when his dad retires (that's never gonna happen though).

aarrgh! I really don't like my MIL. Can you tell? She doesn't like me either. Why? Because years ago when DH and I first started dating she asked if I wanted to go antique shopping with her and I said no as I have no interest in them. She also thinks that I am only after DH for his money (um hello, she knows how much he earns, there is no way I am after him for his money), because we moved in together 8 weeks after we started dating.

Its nice to know I have somewhere to vent about them to others who go through similar things with their in-laws or as I like to call them out-laws.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
So sorry this is all going on for you 2.
A few years ago my MIL wanted my DH to work with her, though she didn't own the company. But it would have just been a bad situation and since she was the book keeper, she would have had full access to his earnings and everything, plus back then we still were not getting along too much so she told DH if he got the job there she wanted to be the sole beneficiary to his 401K and everything. But DH said NO because he knows it would have caused friction in our marriage and even though he makes crap money for what he does as an EMT, he would have made less money installing cabinets/counters. And his heart is in EMS.

But this is good advice for anyone who is thinking of working with their parents (remember your parents are DH's IL's and sometimes the shoe is also on the other foot) or their DH is thinking of going to work for his parents.

July 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Meegan
Wow that's terrible, so sorry that is happening!!! Thankfully DH doesn't work with his parents, but his dad is unemployed and get social security, so he has nothing better to do than call DH at work all day long.
July 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Hmm maybe he should get a hobby. My FIL has been retired since the early '90s and he finds stuff to fill his day besides bugging his grown kids, especially at work.
Now we are not the first kids he calls when he needs something because the 4 others live in the same city as him and we live 20 minutes away. But if the other kids are not available, he will call my DH or me which is fine.
We buy him computer games, books (on his favorite subjects such as sports, buffalos, Native American stuff, etc.) and DVDs so he has stuff to fill his time when it comes time for Christmas, his birthday or Father's Day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search