Affection?

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I have always wondered how affection in one person's family differs from affection in the other's. Meaning, is your family more affectionate or is your DH's towards each other?

July 25th, 2006, 02:03 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Min'es definatly more affectionate then DH's. Hugs, kissess all round whenever we see each other but in DH's family a "hello" is all you get. My grandparents always held hands when they were out together, I also always held onto Pa whenever we were out together. (used to get weird looks as I got older though) Oddly enough DH is very affectionate. He always holds my hand when were out and often gives kisses and hugs in public too.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 25th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
My DH's family is NOT affectionate at all. I have never seen them hug, kiss or even tell each other they love them. My DH is also very affectionate towards me and the kids, which I was worried about his family life impacting him being affectionate towards them. But he has told me that all his life he has never felt loved and he does not want his children feeling that way

Only time I have ever gotten a hug from my MIL was when I gave birth to our son. She was waiting in my room because I had a c-section and as soon as they wheeled me back into the room, she gave me a hug and told me how beautiful he was. My FIL gave me a hug once and it was when I was a little intoxicated on my birthday and he told DH & I that I needed to get drunk more often because I was so much fun

My family has always been affectionate. Every time I talk to my parents and sisters and other family members we tell each other how much we love them. We are always hugging. I instill that on my kids too. They get hugs and kisses when it is time for bed, when they go to school in the morning and I repeatedly tell them all day long how much I love them.

My younger DS is developmentally delayed and he has a little ritual when he either goes to bed or leaves. He kisses us, hugs us, says "I love you", blows us a kiss and says either "nite nite" or "bye-bye." It is too cute!

July 25th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Meegan
Opposite, infact. My family is not affectionate at all. We don't really say I love you, though we know that we love each other. And my family doesn't butt in either. DH's family says I love you a million times a day (it gets so annoying) and they think that they belong in everyone's business, no matter what is going on. They think everything has to be a family affair. When we chose our sons name, we didn't want to tell anyone. They said we didn't have the right to do that, because I was bringing someone into THEIR family.
July 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
*Bry*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have always wondered how affection in one person's family differs from affection in the other's. Meaning, is your family more affectionate or is your DH's towards each other?[/b]
I know exactly what you're talking about...
DH's family is huggy and kissy and my family was never that way
I know that sounds strange about my inlaws given everything I've already told U guys but they are more kissy and huggy. Like when U leave you give hugs...
Also my husband thinks there is nothing wrong with just walking in his parents house without knocking. I on the other hand don't like this because I would not want someone doing it to me. Maybe I'm sitting here in my undies? Ya know...?

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow yet we forget that he is someone today."

M&M's ROCK!
July 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Kirin'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
Well I think my family is more affectionate then dhs family. Well my family greets you with a hug and a kiss on the cheek and his family doesnt even do that you lucky if you get Hi lol his family is really nice I love them like they are my own all his aunts and uncle are really fun to be around.
July 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
** Mandy **
Both families are generally unaffectionate around each other except for hugs when coming or going. Andy and I are generally the same way in public but we do have a habit of kissing one another when leaving and saying "I love you." We also say I love you before going to sleep at night and hanging up the phone after talking to each other. Come to think of it, DH and his parents do say I love you before hanging up the phone after talking to each other but my family usually doesn't.

July 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM
MinnesotaMommy
My immediate family is more affectionate then his. But his aunts are very affectionate.
July 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM
littleangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to littleangel
mine is less than DH's as far as hugging and stuff goes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search