Money & the In-laws

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
This post has a couple of parts to it. Have you ever had to borrow money from your ILs or your own parents during the course of being together? And does your ILs try to interfere with your finances? Just wondering because sometimes finances play a big role in parents relationships with grown children.

July 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Never really had to borrow from my parents but my MIL bought our house for us and we have been paying her back monthly. It's worked pretty good so far. Some months we can give her more, some less. But if we can't give her as much, we tell her in advance and she is understanding.

July 25th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Veteran
The ONLY time we asked to borrow money from dh's family I got sooo mad. He needed a biopsy under his tongue and we didn't get paid for a few days, so he called his mom and asked if she had $30 we could borrow. Just for a few days. Nope. She supposedly didn't have it. But we went for a visit later THAT DAY, and she had the nerve to ask us if we could go get her lottery tickets for her!!! She had $20 sitting on the table for the lottery. But she couldn't spare any so her son could get a much needed test done!!! Luckily my parents gave me the money and all turned out fine.
July 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM
MinnesotaMommy
Borrowed from my parents, but never his parents. My parents like to stick their noses in sometimes.
July 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Meegan
We have had to borrow from my inlaws before, but we paid them back right away so they couldn't hold it over our heads. But they won a huge lawsuit right before our wedding, so they started throwing money around, paid for a few things, and our honeymoon, and to this day still tell everyone about it. MIL goes around at parties saying how she could have gone to Hawaii herself, but she sent us instead. What a freak. Has to be center of attention!
July 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've borrowed from both set of parents, and they have both borrowed from us.......... but we don't allow them to get nosey in our finances.
July 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
asianmama
hubby borrowed money from his grandma before we met--we still havent paid her back, we borrowed money from his uncle, his mom, his dad-step mom. we dont borrow money from my family because a they wont give it to us when we ask b they dont think hubby is good enough for me c they want us to learn the hard way. d they are giving us tough love...

we are gonna pay his family back as soon as all of credit cards get paid off and closed.

hubby borrowed money from his grandma before we met--we still havent paid her back, we borrowed money from his uncle, his mom, his dad-step mom. we dont borrow money from my family because a they wont give it to us when we ask b they dont think hubby is good enough for me c they want us to learn the hard way. d they are giving us tough love...

we are gonna pay his family back as soon as all of credit cards get paid off and closed.
July 25th, 2006, 06:57 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never has to borrow money from IL's or my parents luckily. Money was borrowed from the IL's buisness however when DH needed a new car. They offered it, we didn't ask. Its a tax right-off for them.

Do my IL's try to interfere with our finaces? Oh yeah. DH works with his folks and so they know exactly how much he earns. His mother also believes it is her right to ask about what I earn. DH is always have arguments with his folks over it. MIL often tells him that he doesn't earn enough to support a wife and child and yet fights tooth and nail to stop even a standard yearly pay rise.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Super Mommy
Yes. Dh lost his job June 15th and his mother and grandmother have helped us out TREMENDOUSLY. They have forked over more than $1000 and STILL try to give us money even though dh starts his new job on Monday.

They always ask from time to time (they do this to everyone) if everything is going ok moneywise and to just ask if we ever get in a bind. Other than that, they stay out of it.

EXCEPT his little sister (11mths younger than dh). She is always trying to tell us how to save money and how we should budget our income and what we should do and what is best. It drives me NUTS!!!

*I* know how to budget thank you very much. But not EVERYONE can live by the 15% for this bracket and 30% for that bracket yadda ya yadda ya....*rolls eyes*
July 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
** Mandy **
The only thing we have had to have someone get involved with money wise is my dad needed to co-sign on DH and I's first lease because we had full time jobs but hadn't started them yet. It actually didn't cause any problems at all which is nice. Oh, my dad has also always done my taxes and started doing DH's as well when we got married four years ago. He has also helped DH start two companies. He is a corporate attorney so he is good with contracts and stuff like that. It has worked out really well.

We haven't had to ask for money from the inlaws but they actually have given us some. They gave us some to help us buy our first house and since MIL's mother died a couple years ago she has given us some chunks of that money a few times (once it was for DH to take college classes for his masters and another was just before Ally was born - I was off work for 12 weeks unpaid). Amazingly this hasn't caused any issues either. I'm kinda surprised they haven't been all over us about what specifically the money has been used for but I guess they trust that we are good with it.

July 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
My parents have helped us out in many ways... We are now leaving with them until we get back on our feet... Having both babies back to back drained us financially.. We help out with bills... And I know I am at least $50 to $100 behind on paying my parents.. And they will ask for it.. I will give them $20 here and there and they are fine ... They know we are trying to make it on his paycheck.. Well his mom is different..
She pays the insurance on our jeep. Well she paid it on the 25th when it was due.. And that night she was bugging us about it... Charles told her that we didn't get paid until Friday (today).. So we go over there and she was saulking.... He asked why and she said we needed to pay her.. I told him that was bull.. I could see if we kept her waiting a week or 2... But 3 freaking days.... And he doesn't wanna tick her off.. Because she will yank the jeep from us... That is how big of a witch she is..
July 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM
*Bry*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This post has a couple of parts to it. Have you ever had to borrow money from your ILs or your own parents during the course of being together? And does your ILs try to interfere with your finances? Just wondering because sometimes finances play a big role in parents relationships with grown children.[/b]
Yes --when we bought our house they took out a small loan for us for the closing costs and for other small things we needed. We made payments at first but then hubby lost his job. Since then it's been up and down as far as us making monthly payments. We usually give them part of our income tax checks. DH talked to his Mom one time on the phone & she said not to worry about it to pay them when we could so that's what we do and I know she complains about us behind our backs.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow yet we forget that he is someone today."

M&M's ROCK!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search