How do you feel at your IL's family get togethers??

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
They treat me like I have been in the family for years and years. Depending on what kind of get together it is depends on how comfortable I am at it. My family is spread out all over the United States, so we have never been very close other than phone calls. KWIM??

August 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
** Mandy **
They are OK. Mostly I am treated as if I have always been a part of the family. The only thing is that when that family gets together they tend to seperate by gender which I don't like. Why can't we all hang out together? It is one uncle who always seems to be at the center of this. For some reason he doesn't talk to me or any of the other women there really. I don't know what he issue is.

August 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They don't do anything. They sit on the couch and watch the news and <strike>talk</strike> gossip about the neighbors. If I suggest doing anything (even going for a walk or playing a game), I get looked at like I have 2 heads. So as long as I sit and be quiet, all is well.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
August 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
my granparent in laws treat me great when we get together.. My inlaws on they other hand make me feel worthless
August 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
babysmith's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are all nice to me, I dont like getting toegther with them cause i dont feel comfortable, I know my mil tells them what problems we have with each other and everything... one time my bil came out and told me how he felt about how I treated his mother, i told him he doesn't know what he is talking about if he was there then he would understand what my problem is...
August 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
littleangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to littleangel
On my FIL's side he has a HUGE family but everyone is really nice. Though I think they last way too long and I get bored. But the whole family Aunts, Uncle, cousins just everyone is together when DH goes home at least once, we are the only ones that don't live right there. So it is nice that in 1 day he can visit with everyone.
His mom's side I usually feel pretty left out. DH tried to include me but I jsut don't feel right like everything I say and do is wrong.

August 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Shaney3401's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shaney3401
THEY TREAT ME HORRIBLE!!!! They all ignore me and talk about me. I usually stay with the kids. I hat ehis family more than I can put into words. The actlike they are the best people in the world but all they do is put down other people. When they have no room to talk.

August 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
I don't go to any gatherings if the MIL and her mom are there. I refuse. I cannot stand those women and can't figure out how anyone else can.
August 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I am fine at family gatherings as long as his brother leaves the snide comments. But it's something that happens almost every time.

I usually help with food prep and other things.

August 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Super Mommy
I am not a really sociable person. So I usually just sit there counting down until I can go home.
September 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
A thought that always crosses my mind whenever I am around them...

"Man, I thought my family was nuts!"

They are very into board games, sitting around playing instruments while singing and talking about the pros and cons of homemade salad dressing...just not what I'm used to...

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
September 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
midnightfairy's Avatar Regular
i'd rather be scrubbing the deep dark innards of my toilet with a toothbrush and no gloves.

my SIL monopolizes the conversation, excludes me, and everyone thinks she's great. i don't get it.
September 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel like I want to go home...lol
September 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
MinnesotaMommy
Depends on which side and who, but usually very uncomfortable.
September 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am usually fine at the IL's gatherings as long as it is all of DH's family there. I love his Aunt that lives here and all of his cousins and their spouses. I hate going over to my MIL's when it is just them and us. She uses that time to pick about everything and to tell us what to do. Then when she is around the rest of her family she takes charge and acts like she is Camille's mom. When we go to Texas to see the whole family, now that's another story. I usually get along with most of them and we are fine if my MIL didn't make the trip with us. One time, we went to Texas for his family reunion. What a joke. Me, my DH, his older cousin and his awesome uncle sat outside and drank beer while the rest of them were inside being stupid.

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search