Log In Sign Up

Wow, um, thanks, MIL.


Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 10,900
I got an email from my MIL this morning saying that "a special friend and colleague of mine" has a pile of used baby crap - sorry, wait, no, she's calling "a bunch of baby stuff for me to pass along to you".

She wants to come drop it off at my office tomorrow morning. Ew. That's totally going to start my day off wrong!

It just grates on my nerves - I've got 8 wks left in this pregnancy, and now, suddenly, she wants to make a contribution. Granted, it's a pile of someone else's used garbage, but it's so convenient that she waited until we had bought the carseat, and stroller, and play pen, and swing, and crib, and change table... and NOW she's all "Oooh, I want to help you guys out!" Um, no, actually, I don't think you do, cause if you did, you would have. I wish she could just be honest about it!

The other part that bugs me is that she has told me about 9 million times how her office mate is due the same day as me. She tells me all about this woman's symptoms, and what she thinks/feels/craves/whatever. Fine, that's nice, do you have any idea whatsoever how MY pregnancy is going? No, of course you don't.

I know she's going to say to her office mate "Here, go through all this stuff and pick out whatever you would like. I'll give the leftovers to Jilly."

I'm just rolling my eyes so freakin' hard they're bouncing across the table... Every word that comes out of her mouth is insincere and self absorbed. And I have to see her, tomorrow, FIRST THING. Ick.

** Updated!

The 80s are back, and they're in a box in my baby's room.

Items included in the Box O' Crap From MIL:

a stained corduroy Snugli, looks to be from about 1986
a stained nursing shirt (yes, stained. With someone else's milk.)
two dirty bibs
a homemade baby sling
a baby bathtub
a black maternity skirt (office clothing)

Items kept from the Box O' Crap From MIL:

the bathtub
the bibs
the skirt

Why Not Keep The Rest?
Because I already have a baby sling. I'm giving birth in 7.5 wks, for goodness sakes, I bought a sling. And, sorry, but homemade does not automatically give me the rush of "certified safe" that I can get from non-homemade.

I am not wearing someone else's used stained clothes. The bibs just end up getting slimy and dirty, so I'm not concerned about those, but I'm not wearing someone else's breastmilk. I've got enough of my own, thanks, and I am sure to ruin my own clothing.

I couldn't figure out which end was which on the stained cordury tan Snugli, so I'm not exactly confident about strapping my child into it. Also, I already have a sling and a carseat, three bouncy chairs, and will get a baby backpack that fits both me and DH when the kiddo is big enough. I am not going to use the 1986 Snugli.

There you go, updated! Now DH needs to confirm with MIL that it's okay for the Box O' Crap to head over to the Salvation Army... I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
MommyMee's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 625
Hey, at least you get used baby crap from someone who has birthed a baby in the last decade. My MIL wants to give me all of my DH's old baby things from 1976. Also she'll spend several hundred dollars on CPAP machine for DH but not a dime on my baby shower or the baby. Hey! She's a rich garbage picker, maybe I'll get an old dresser drawer picked from her neighbor's trash that she's spray painted silver and converted into a changing table!!! Well at least someone knows how you feel! Try and have a good day even if she does rear her ugly head!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,541
Yikes! So sorry! Here's to hoping there's something usable in there. If not, you could always donate things that are in good shape but you don't want to a pregnancy resource center or Good Will. If there is a lot, you could have a garage sale and make some money for new baby things that you still want. And duplicates of some things can come in handy if you go stay with your parents occasionally. We have a pack n play, portable high chair, baby monitor, stroller, towels and wash cloths, spoons, and toys at my parents. Cuts down on the packing. Be sure to tell us what's in your haul...I'm dying of curiosity!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM
lunachik22's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 733
Yuck to having to see her first thing in the morning!!

Let us know what you get...you never know...maybe you could take back some of your baby gear and save a buck.
__________________
Chrissy






Reply With Quote
  #5  
March 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Jax's Avatar
Jax Jax is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pekin, Il
Posts: 3,671
Send a message via AIM to Jax
ugh. Morning is much too early to have to contend with motherinlawness.

(oh wait.. every time of the day is too early to be around a mil.. but the first waking hours of the day are always especially blah)

I do hope you didn't kill her. And I do hope she didn't let her beloved co-worker have first dibs of her only current contribution to her grandchild's life. -sigh-
__________________



myspace
Reply With Quote
  #6  
March 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,541
Jilly, Jilly! Update please! Did she bring the stuff? If so what was it? Don't leave us hanging...........
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
March 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 10,900
LOL, I'm sorry girls, I haven't even gone through it yet. It's all still sitting in the back of my car, I think I saw a baby bathtub in there (which I needed actually, so hopefully it's in good shape) but I will try to check out the rest of it tonight.

I didn't go through it all because I got some fairly bad news at my doctor's appt yesterday - it turns out my baby's growth has slowed down, so I was sent to the hospital for an ultrasound and a bunch of testing.

The baby's belly is measuring small - right now s/he should be measuring around 32wks and instead is measuring around 30wks. The brain, heart, diaphragm and skeletal stuff look fine but we would like the baby to be fatter. I had a non stress test as well and the baby kicked major butt on that, the nurse said if it was a term baby after a test like that they'd have passed him/her with flying colors.

We aren't sure why the baby's growth has slowed. There is a 90% chance that I just make small babies, an 8% chance that my high blood pressure has something to do with the placenta not cooperating (although it looked okay on the Doppler) and a 2% chance that there is something more serious. I have to see a maternal-fetal specialist in the next few days and have another ultrasound to see if the growth has stopped completely or if it has just slowed down.

So needless to say I was pretty upset yesterday and totally forgot about the MIL stuff... I will have to look at it tonight when I get home, hopefully while eating a cheeseburger that makes this baby nice and fat.

Will let you know what I find out!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
March 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,541
Oh I'm sorry! I know you must be beyond concerned. The MIL stuff is sure to be the least on your mind. My thoughts and prayers are with and hopefully all your tests will come back good and there will be no cause for concern. Please keep us informed as to how you and your LO are doing!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0