Another... interesting... tale.

Forum: Inlaws

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Inlaws LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
Mmk, so Grandmother-in-law watches Libby for me while I work. She's doing it free of charge for the moment (not forever) and overall, she is the one that I like the MOST in the family (but she still drives me INSANE).

So she is what I'd like to call an extreme christian. I am a christian. I love my God and I'd like to think I have a decent relationship with Him. I value my religion and respect those that tend to follow the rules that it has set out. What I DON'T respect is completely closed-minded views, judging people, not taking the bible for what it is.

So I went to pick Libby up the other day, and the election race was on. It was saying how Hilary was winning. Mind you, I shouldn't have said a word. I should have just listened and shut up. I REALLY REALLY shouldn't have said anything.. BUT.. I did. She was going on and on about John (as they are very republican.. which is fine by me. I am too, though with a more liberal view than most). I said "I really hope that Obama gets the democratic vote." Ohhh that was a mistake.

She shook her head in disgrace. She went on and on and on about how he wasn't christian. I said "Acutally, he's a born again christian.." mistake numero two. She said "Well, he can claim that ALL he wants but it's just to get votes." Whatever. Fine. But if you're going to say that, then any politician could EASILY be lying about their religious beliefs. I, however, did not vocalize that point. I learn quickly. haha.

Sooo she continues on with THIS little tid bit..

"He's from overseas, ya know? (apparently no one told her that you can't be born out of the country and become president) Those 911 terrorists didn't throw their attack together overnight. It's all of those towelheads. They plan and plan and plan. That's what this run for Presidency is. He's planning something huge and he's apart of something much bigger than just him. I think he's been planning it for twenty years. (why twenty years? Who knows.)"

I am trying not to laugh to the very BEST of my ability.. but I'm not doing a very good job. I had to cough into my hand SEVERAL times. I know the corners of my mouth were twitching. Apparently she didn't notice.

"I think he's the antichrist. Make that I'm SURE he's the antichrist.. you mark my word."

I mumble something about being late and practically RUN out of the door. Ooooh my.

and the completely unrelated and not NEARLY as humerous.. two other things that got under my skin. I went to pick her up one day and she said "Oh, let me just get her blanket out of the laundry.. it smelled like dog and I couldn't STAND it anymore" and she wrinkled up her nose. I don't even let me dogs on the same LEVEL of the house where we keep the baby stuff. They don't think we should have animals at all. Whatever. They also think I'm a terrible wife and that I never clean or do anything but sit around all day.

and then..

When Libby is lying in my lap/on the couch next to my lap, I grab her around her wrists or by the hands and pull her up into the sitting position on my lap. I ALWAYS do it, and so does my mom. Her feet never even leave my lap/the couch. It's not like I'm holding her up for ten minutes. EVery time that I do it, Libby gets the BIGGEST grin.

Well I did it when I was over there, and she said "Hm." and waited for a moment or two. I could tell she was just sitting there contemplating how to passive aggressively tell me that I shouldn't do that.

Finally she came up with "Once I lifted Doug (her son that's in his 40's) up like that when he was a little boy and his arm came right out of the socket!"

I just smiled and said "Oh, my mom and I pick libby up like that ALL the time and she just LOVES it."

I'm always so polite, but I'm done taking her STUPID advice. I don't even believe for a SECOND that she picked doug up like that.. she just made the story up so that she wouldn't look bad/ridiculous for telling me not to do it. Whateva.

Thanks for enduring all of my whininess and my random "/"s. I had a lot of /'s in this.. haha.

myspace
March 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ah yes. Politics and religion are two things I've learned to be very careful about even in my own family. We're all Christians too, DH is even a youth pastor, but we have some very conservative Christians in our family who say some ridiculous things about politics and even which version of the Bible we should use. I just stay as far away from it as I can! I think it's hilarious, though, that just because his name is Barak Obama, she assumes that he's foreign and a muslim! Older people are so set in their ways though, they come up with some silly stuff. I've also been told over and over not to pick up Samuel by his arms for the same reason. And actually my nephew's elbow did dislocate when his dad did that but he picked him up by one arm and I think he may have been swinging him and he was like 3 (more weight). I don't think what you are doing with Libby will hurt her at all, especially since some of her weight is still supported by the lap/couch. Again, older people have ideas. Hugs for putting up with it all!

March 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Responses:

1. I am rolling on the floor laughing about Obama being a terrorist. Seriously, that's FUNNY.

2. I think you definitely did the right thing about the arms comment - I don't blame you one bit for being annoyed though, that would really tick me off too!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search