Armour shortage? Is this true?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Veteran
A pharmacist at my Target told me this week that Armour is on a nation-wide back-order. She said that many people on Armour are having to switch to Synthroid as they run out of Armour, until new Armour can be manufactured. She said she didn't know exactly what the hold up was, "maybe" the swine flu had caused the backup in production. Anyone out there with Armour having this problem?
September 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not me but I've heard some of the higher doses were on backorder. My dr told me that he hasn't heard of any shortages in the state of AL & if there is any though that we can switch to Naturethroid & not Synthroid! *whew* I've been on Armour since Dec of last year & haven't had a problem yet! I think it's probably more rumor than anything but IDK!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
September 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Veteran
Hmm, that is interesting. I like the sounds of that, esp. since I have decided that I want to go the route of trying to get switched to Armour. My pharmacist did say there was some generic of Armour available, but she said it was something like...."westhryoid"? Hmm, not sure if I heard her correctly, but that is what it sounded like.
September 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Yes... here the Rite Aid told me they had my 90mg of Armour on back order and they have no idea when it will be in. I have to call around.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

September 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM
purplepieguy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not sure as I'm not on Armour. I'm taking Synthroid.
September 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Veteran
Ladies, thanks for the replies. Stacey, did you end up finding it when you called around? I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to find it, but just going to require calling multiple pharmacies, which means a little more work, ya know?
September 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Some around here are back-ordered. Usually 60 & 90.
September 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies, I don't mean to just butt in...but I just found this board. I have been battling hypothryoidism since my daughter was born in December. My doctor and my pharmacist both told me that Armour is no longer being made and once the supplies run out there will be no more. My doctor has already switched me to what they feel acts most like armour (but I can't think of the name right off the bat).

September 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM
Veteran
Blah...I guess it must depend on the location in our country and the dosage. Shellito1012, sorry that you are dealing with hypo - my story is similar to yours, since I was diagnosed with that after the birth of my daughter as well. I'm glad to hear that there is a good alternative to armour available. I might look into that. Again, ladies, thanks for the replies. I go for blood work this week to check my new dosage of 112 of Synthroid that I have been on for 8 weeks now. Then I have the consult two weeks later, and it's at that consult that I am wanting to switch meds. We'll see what happens.
September 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck View Post
Ladies, thanks for the replies. Stacey, did you end up finding it when you called around? I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to find it, but just going to require calling multiple pharmacies, which means a little more work, ya know?
CVS right down the street had plenty. I got a 90 day supply.... so I should be fine.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

September 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Regular
I was put on Levothyroxine. I just went to see my doctor yesterday for my pre-conception appt and I asked her about name brand meds and armour, she told me that armour does have a shortage...so it didn't sound too good for that one.
September 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Veteran
Cool, Stacey - I'm glad you were able to find some at CVS. MoonBeam33, thanks for your reply. I originally started on Levothyroxine, too. As I read everyone's replies, it seems like it depends on your geographical location, your dosage, and your pharmacy. Good to know - this really helps to know!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search