Thyroid problems? Lots of questions X posted on ttc boards

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, someone posted to me about my temps being on the low side and that could indicate thyroid problems. So of course, I consulted doctor google. Well, I will start with I have 2 children with type 1 diabetes. This is an autoimmune disorder as is hashimotos thyroiditis. I know that if you have one autoimmune disorder you are at risk for another as my boys are checked every year for thyroid problems and both of them on one occasion or the other has had their thryoid levels off. I think it is definitely possible that this could cause a higher risk for me for thyroid problems. Well anyways, after my google search I found this on just about every symptom list and it really, really struck a nerve with me.

It listed cold intolerance as a symptom. I have had cold urticaria which I of course self diagnosed a couple years ago. I have had it since I was a kid, but it got better, but has gotten way worse the last couple years. (I break out in hives in the cold and really bad hives sometimes too.) Anyhow, this has made me seriously think I want this checked. I know I am grabbing at straws here, but anyone with thyroid problems want to respond with their symptoms? I mean did you have really noticeable symptoms? How did you figure out that there was a problem?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say ask your doc to do a full thyroid panel - make sure you get free T3 & free T4, as well as antibodies for both Hashi's and Grave's. I actually have antibodies for both, but so far I've only been measuring as hyperthyroid. I have no bothersome symptoms (extreme fatigue) unless my T3 & T4 are off; otherwise, I feel fine, even when my TSH is off-the-charts-low.
I didn't know I had a thyroid problem until it showed up on some routine bloodwork during my second pregnancy. My TSH was extremely low but I felt fine.
One symptom I've noticed is premature grey hair. It runs in my family, and I started noticing a few greys in college, but suddenly after my second pregnancy it got really bad so I started coloring it, and now my roots are almost completely grey. I don't know what it would look like if I didn't color it. I don't think this sudden grey is due to genetics because it happened so quickly, plus I'm only 32 and I know my parents were not this grey at 32. I've read that grey hair can be associated with autoimmune disease, but not everyone has it as a symptom.
November 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey, Teresa!!! I was dx as part of fertility b/w. My biggest problem was that I couldn't get pg. Other minor symptoms for me were fatigue, weight gain, the inability to lose weight no matter how hard I worked out, being cold all the time, the lack of my outer eyebrow. Other symptoms include constipation, hair falling out... I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. I do know unfortunately thyroid problems can cause m/c's.

I agree with Rachel... if you strongly suspect you have it make sure you get Free T3, Free T4, & TSH checked. Most dr's only test TSH but the Free's are really more indicative of what your thyroid is doing. For example, with medication, my TSH was normal but my hair kept falling out. My dr refused to test Free T3 or even prescribe a form of T3 so I had to do a bit of dr searching. I did finally get my Free T3 checked & lo & behold it was low so I added T3 to the mix & my hair quit falling out. But like I said, it can be hard to get a dr to check your Free's.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting a copy of your lab report so you can see the numbers for yourself b/c the normal range for TSH is now 0.3-3.0 but most labs still use the outdated range of 0.5-5.0 so your dr could very well say you're normal with a TSH of 4.0 but with the new levels that's hypo, especially if you are having the hypo symptoms. We have a lot of informational links above... feel free to browse through them.

Oh, here's something else you could try but of course it really only works if your thyroid is enlarged & it is very possible that you can be hypo & NOT have an enlarged thyroid. How to Do a Thyroid Neck Self-Check I did this neck check after being dx but before my first dr's appt & found my thyroid was enlarged. If it is enlarged, don't freak out (like I did ), it just points to hypo & isn't necessarily serious (mine wasn't anyway). One of the best books to read on the subject is... Amazon.com: Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know (Revised Edition) (9780060740955): Mary J. Shomon: Books

HTHs some!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
Hey, Teresa!!! I was dx as part of fertility b/w. My biggest problem was that I couldn't get pg. Other minor symptoms for me were fatigue, weight gain, the inability to lose weight no matter how hard I worked out, being cold all the time, the lack of my outer eyebrow. Other symptoms include constipation, hair falling out... I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. I do know unfortunately thyroid problems can cause m/c's.

I agree with Rachel... if you strongly suspect you have it make sure you get Free T3, Free T4, & TSH checked. Most dr's only test TSH but the Free's are really more indicative of what your thyroid is doing. For example, with medication, my TSH was normal but my hair kept falling out. My dr refused to test Free T3 or even prescribe a form of T3 so I had to do a bit of dr searching. I did finally get my Free T3 checked & lo & behold it was low so I added T3 to the mix & my hair quit falling out. But like I said, it can be hard to get a dr to check your Free's.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting a copy of your lab report so you can see the numbers for yourself b/c the normal range for TSH is now 0.3-3.0 but most labs still use the outdated range of 0.5-5.0 so your dr could very well say you're normal with a TSH of 4.0 but with the new levels that's hypo, especially if you are having the hypo symptoms. We have a lot of informational links above... feel free to browse through them.

Oh, here's something else you could try but of course it really only works if your thyroid is enlarged & it is very possible that you can be hypo & NOT have an enlarged thyroid. How to Do a Thyroid Neck Self-Check I did this neck check after being dx but before my first dr's appt & found my thyroid was enlarged. If it is enlarged, don't freak out (like I did ), it just points to hypo & isn't necessarily serious (mine wasn't anyway). One of the best books to read on the subject is... Amazon.com: Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know (Revised Edition) (9780060740955): Mary J. Shomon: Books

HTHs some!
Hey Teresa!!!! ITA with Amanda. It certainly won't hurt to have a panel done. Please KUP!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search