thyroid levels & pregnancy ?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
3and_justme's Avatar super special mommy
so with my pregnancy my levels have dropped dramatically, usually I am around a 4.4 i'm down to a 1.7 & a 1.9... I am exhausted, my hair is falling out, my skin is dry & itchy & I am gaining lots weight - way more than I did w/my other 2 pregnancies - & I had a thyroid issue w/my last baby... the ob doc dont want to change my dosage, my family doc only wants me to increase 1extra pill - 1 time a week-which sounds stupid to me - so like one day a week I'll be energized & the rest of the week exhausted - ugh!! Then my aunt tells me today that if my level is to low it effects the babys mental developement??? what do you girls know about this - how does the level effect a developing baby - I am 22weeks preg now & i almost lost my daughter w/my previous pregnancy & I dont want to take any chances of something happenin to this lil boy in my belly --- thanks for the help girls ~ Kim

November 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
~LaNa~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that if the TSH is too high it can affect baby's mental development.I dont think ur TSH's high tho.Even if it stayed 4.4 as it was at the beginning,its not high enough to cause any damage.
At least its what i was told.Before i got pregnant i've never had problems with my thyroid.Now my TSH's bit high.It was around 4 and then dropped at 3.29.The last time i tested it was 4.2 again and my doctor gave me 50 mg of Synthroid instead of the 25 i was previously taking.
Are u taking something?
I think ur fine.All the symptoms ur having might be due to the pregnancy and have nothing to do with ur thyroid function.
Dont worry,nothing will happen to ur lil boy.
November 20th, 2009, 05:35 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

im sorry I have no advice, Ive only just been diagnosed so have never had a pg with a thyroid issue. hopefully the other girls can help
November 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My advice would be to get your free T3 and free T4 checked. It seems that those numbers are more important than the TSH. The only times I ever really have any bothersome hyper or hypo symptoms are when the free T's are out of wack; I can have an extremely low TSH and feel fine as long as the free T's are within normal range.
I'm a bit different because I'm hyperthyroid, but here's my story. During my second pregnancy, my TSH was low the entire time but my free T's were fine, so my endocrinologist didn't put me on any meds. The baby turned out great. This time, my TSH was much lower and my T's were a bit high, so she put me on an antithyroid. She adjusts my medication if the T's go up or down, but there is no way she can get my TSH normal without making my T's go too high. So far the baby seems fine, and my doc is not worried about the low TSH. Also, when you get treated for free T's that are too high or too low during pregnancy, the doctor will aim for high normal or low normal and not aim for a number smack in the middle of normal - studies show that when you are pregnant it is best for the baby if you just aim for high or low normal. I guess because that way you are taking the minimal amount of medication needed.
If your OB or family doc won't do a thyroid panel that includes free T3 and free T4, then insist that they do or switch doctors. Good luck!!
November 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
3and_justme's Avatar super special mommy
well I use to be hyperactive & was diagnosed w/Graves diease.. they damaged my thyroid w/radation & now I am hypoactive and take 125mcg of levonthroid (generic synthroid).... they had only done the ths in october and the level was 2.9 & now in nov they did the tsh and it was down to a 1.79 and the t4 is an 1.0 --- so you can tell this is a hugh drop from my normal tsh of a 4.4... I am just tired of feeling exhausted & tied of losing all my hair!! it should be getting thicker w/the prenatal vitamins not be losing it all - eeck! I just called and asked why the t3 wasnt done also - waitin on an answer - i wonder what each means & how the effect/differ?

November 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
~LaNa~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im new in this as well, but i can tell u that u dont have reason to worry about the well being of ur baby.He's making his own thyroid hormone and its not like ur numbers r way too high or way too low to harm him.
I really dont have any other advice. The ladies here said that adding t3 supplement helps a lot as well , but i've never tried it coz my t3 hasnt been checked by now.
Maybe ur getting too much t4 which lowers ur tsh but there might be a problem with the t4-t3 transformation which's causing ur symptoms.This i believe can be addressed by adding Armor.If im wrong pls correct me.
November 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
My advice would be to get your free T3 and free T4 checked. It seems that those numbers are more important than the TSH. The only times I ever really have any bothersome hyper or hypo symptoms are when the free T's are out of wack; I can have an extremely low TSH and feel fine as long as the free T's are within normal range.
I'm a bit different because I'm hyperthyroid, but here's my story. During my second pregnancy, my TSH was low the entire time but my free T's were fine, so my endocrinologist didn't put me on any meds. The baby turned out great. This time, my TSH was much lower and my T's were a bit high, so she put me on an antithyroid. She adjusts my medication if the T's go up or down, but there is no way she can get my TSH normal without making my T's go too high. So far the baby seems fine, and my doc is not worried about the low TSH. Also, when you get treated for free T's that are too high or too low during pregnancy, the doctor will aim for high normal or low normal and not aim for a number smack in the middle of normal - studies show that when you are pregnant it is best for the baby if you just aim for high or low normal. I guess because that way you are taking the minimal amount of medication needed.
If your OB or family doc won't do a thyroid panel that includes free T3 and free T4, then insist that they do or switch doctors. Good luck!!
Ditto! A great resource to help you understand how it all fits together is Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon. I highly recommend it to anyone who is hypo regardless of how you came to become hypo. Actually, according to the book, you really shouldn't be taking generic thyroid meds at all (Drugs, - FAQs, Diagnosis: Hypothyroidism -- Six Questions to Ask Your Doctor / Answers to Some Common Questions).

Actually during pg your TSH typically goes up, not down which is odd how yours is just the opposite.

BTW,

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
ITA w/ Amanda!!! Unless your levels are WAY off, I wouldn't worry a whole lot. The baby is more likely to have issues with hyper than hypo.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

December 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a pretty good explanation here of the T3 issues: http://www.custommedicine.com.au/blo...-t3-dominance/

I had an issue in my first trimester where myT3 and rT3 ratio was such that it was evident that rT3 was preventing my body from absorbing T3. My ratio is out of whack. To which my doctor upped my T3 supplement and lowered my T4 way down. I have "reverse T3 dominance" or wilson's syndrome. Which until I started seeing this new doctor, I never knew I had. I am also on iodine and iron supplements.

I don't know how many of the symptoms are amplified by pregnancy, but I can tell you that my hair was falling out bad before we upped my T3 and I felt terrible. My hair isn't falling out anymore and I'm not even taking a nap now My skin is literally clearing up ( I had terrible problems on my arms from they hypothyroid condition).

Just thought I'd throw that out there for you.
December 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have hypothyroidism and had it before I was preggo, my TSH was 5.4 but on levothyroxine my levels went down to 1.2 you want it lower, so thats good. I don't know much about T3 T4 and such so I can't tell you anything there. They checked them regularly while I was preggo with my daughter. I have to go in for blood test soon because I am on birthcontrol and my hair is shedding and skin is super dry and itchy and I am super tired, my pills said they can keep the thyroxine from absorbing into your system properly so they may have to up my dose.

December 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have hypothyroidism and had it before I was preggo, my TSH was 5.4 but on levothyroxine my levels went down to 1.2 you want it lower, so thats good. I don't know much about T3 T4 and such so I can't tell you anything there. They checked them regularly while I was preggo with my daughter. I have to go in for blood test soon because I am on birthcontrol and my hair is shedding and skin is super dry and itchy and I am super tired, my pills said they can keep the thyroxine from absorbing into your system properly so they may have to up my dose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search