Weight loss with hypo?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2010, 07:08 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Has anyone tried diet pills like Alli or suppressants like slim shots with Hypo?
I've read that you shouldn't take anything with your meds, but spacing it out is an option.

I'm so sick of not being able to lose this 30lbs of baby weight (my thyroid blew out from pregnancy). I feel like crap about myself. I make good food choices, I don't exercise alot but I'm active with my toddler. I don't get it. I used to have a hard time keeping weight on. Now I can't lose a pound to save my life.

Are there any helpful options when you have hypo that anyone knows of? I want to ask my Endo this month but I'm not sure what to ask about.

January 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't & have always been leery of any kind of diet pills though Alli has peaked my interest so they have obviously done some wonderful marketing!

I do know for a fact though that typically if you are taking T4 only & your Free T3 is low that it can affect weight loss. My first suggestion is to make sure that both your Free T4 & Free T3 are in normal range. Most endo's only test TSH & won't supplement w/ any form of T3... I know mine didn't but there are a few out there that will so maybe yours is one of them!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
January 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Thanks so much! I will definitely ask! I want a clear picture because my thyroid as my doctor put it is 'fried' - totally non functional. It would make sense to test every element of the condition rather than just the main one.

January 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard that a diet high in fiber and low in bad carbs is supposed to help. I am trying to figure it out myself as I have barely lossed any weight since I had my daughter. Of course I just had my meds adjusted a week ago and am just now starting to feel a change in energy and so I am guilty of loading myself up with sugar and no excersize at all... lol! shame on me! But I am going to start tomorrow. Mary Shomon says breakfast is the key to firing up your metabolisim too so I am going to start eating breakfast. Good luck to you.

January 13th, 2010, 03:08 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just remembered that Mary Shomon actually has a thyroid diet book... Amazon.com: The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss (9780060524449): Mary J. Shomon: Books

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
February 10th, 2010, 10:53 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What has been helping me is that I switched to a vegan diet (mostly vegetarian would prob. work too) and I take B-12 and a prenatal. I take my thyroid meds in the AM, an hour before breakfast, I take my B-12(I let it dissolve under tongue) one to two hours after breakfast and I take my prenatal around 3 or dinner time.
I read that people with hypothyroidism do not have enough B-12 and vitamin A.
With that said, I have lost 15lbs in 17 days and I currently have a TSH in the 30s. Hopefully when my TSH is normal again (for me that would be 1 or less) then I suspect my weight will drop really nicely.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013
February 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that I struggle with weight loss. I am not overweight, my diet is fairly simple and clean (limited grains, dairy free) and I am extremely active (run 25-30 miles per week and play 2 90 min. soccer games a week), but about 10 lbs heavier than my preference. I have had Hashimoto for 3 years, but my levels really went out of wack w/my pregnancy and m/c last summer. I have been adjusting meds since then, so I am hoping that once the T3 comes up - I can lose a couple of the pounds.

Previously, once my TSH and T3 fell inline, the weight fell off like water.
February 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have hypo and I have lost 34 pounds since the last baby. I just made sure I ate better and not eating out and switched to water. I try not to eat to much sugar foods like cookies and cakes. I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies and I cut down on how much meat I eat. I didn't eliminate it from my diet just modified it and cut it down by half and upped the veggies. I also do at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week and that has made a big difference. I can see it in my face and in my body.
I keep track of what I eat through myfitnesspal. Good luck

February 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
I do know for a fact though that typically if you are taking T4 only & your Free T3 is low that it can affect weight loss. My first suggestion is to make sure that both your Free T4 & Free T3 are in normal range. Most endo's only test TSH & won't supplement w/ any form of T3... I know mine didn't but there are a few out there that will so maybe yours is one of them!
Ever since I started taking Nature-Throid my levels have been awesome and I'm dropping the weight! Of course, I am BFing so that's an added bonus.... however I'm not exercising, so I bet that if I was, it would be even better! I suggest getting your levels checked. Your TSH should be under 2, FT3 and FT4 at the high end of normal for them to be optimal!

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14)lost at 16w- 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6"
~WTTC until fall of 2014~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search