is there a difference between synthroid and the generic levothyroxine?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was diagnosed with hypo in November. my tsh was 6 something. they put me right on levothyroxine 50 mcg's. i was tested about 8 weeks after i started it and my tsh was down to 2.3, so it seems to be working....

my mother is on synthroid and she is annoyed they didnt put me on that. is there really a difference? also, the natural form wasnt even brought up as an option for me... should i be pursuing that road?

TIA for any information you have
February 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You definately should be on name-brand & not generic. See my post here... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...rand-name.html (generic vs brand name?).

As far as Synthroid vs natural... most dr's prescribe Synthroid first (which if you are going to take a T4 only drug, Levothroid is the EXACT same stuff & cheaper) & won't touch the natural stuff. Most patients really have to seek out a dr willing to prescribe natural stuff but I am so glad I made the switch. Synthroid is T4 only & it just wasn't doing it for me. I needed the additional T3 which the natural stuff provides. You can also get T3 through a compounding pharmacy but that is kinda expensive.

If I were you I'd find a GOOD thyroid dr... someone who knows better than to prescribe generics. I would also make sure the dr is willing to test Free T3 & Free T4 along with TSH (most dr's (especially endo's) won't). I highly recommend reading Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary J. Shomon. It's a must read for all hypo patients IMHO. You can also start your dr search here... Thyroid Top Doctors -- Best Thyroid Doctors in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon. Actually it took me a year & this site to find a decent dr. Actually I wish I would have used this site to find my dr first... woulda saved me a lot of time.

I remember you from the PL board & am so sorry about your loss but can I ask, are you guys thinking of TTC again? If you are there is a lot of other information I can give you too... that's why I ask.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
February 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thank you so much for all the information! thankfully my doc tests for tsh, free t4 and t3, but i am going to ask her about the generic and the natural method. she is a DO so maybe she will be open to it.

and yes, as soon as my cycle straightens out we are going to ttc again! any info you have regarding it will be greatly appreciated
February 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DO's tend to be more open-minded! Actually my last thyroid dr was a DO but she admittedly didn't know much about thyroid issues... I knew more than she did but she was willing to test more than TSH & was willing to prescribe T3. My DO though won't treat pg women so make sure your's will. She said that once I got pg, it was up to the OB to continue my thyroid treatment & I just wasn't comfortable with that since it was my OB who referred me out of his office to have my thyroid treated to begin with.

When TTC, you should aim to get your *frees* at the upper end of normal. When you do get pg be sure to have your thyroid checked at least every 6 weeks during pg. Also, if you have difficulty getting pg, get your progesterone checked. Several of us hypo ladies have a progesterone defect as well. I have one even though by all outward appearances, you wouldn't know it... my charts look GREAT & I have a normal LP of 12 days & even have O pain every month. I had to use Clomid to finally conceive & have since been referred to an RE & will likely be using injectables before the end of the year. Right now we're on a MA break though so really this is good for me... I have been much less stressed & hopefully when we start MA again I'll be refreshed & will be ready to tackle all that stress once again.

GL & KUP!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
February 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I ditto everything Amanda said. I'm not an advocate for T4 only supplementation. When we were TTC Oliver, my RE always wanted my TSH closest to 1 as possible and my FT3 and FT4 at the high end of normal like Amanda said. GL hun!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

February 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Jen1409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jen1409
I got put on the generic after being on Synthroid and my hypo symptoms came back so I finally got my regular Dr to put me back on Synthroid because my endo refused too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search