Any opinions on my results?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies. Just trying to get some opinions on my results. Trying to make sense of why I feel like crap again.

1-08
TSH = 6.0869
FT4 = 12.7

2-08 (started me on low dose on synthroid)
TSH = 7
FT4 = 12.4

4-08
TSH = 4.0
FT4 = 17
FT3 = 4.5

went on birth control pill, started to feel really tired again

5-08
TSH = 3.18
FT4 = 19.2
FT3 = 4.77

dr. was happy with results. said bcp couldn't interfere with synthroid.

Not satisfied I seeked opinion of naturopath, started on supplements, and requested my bloodwork 1 last time in October by my regular dr.

10-08
TSH = 2.6
FT4 = 16.1

-------------------------------------
my regular dr. still wouldn't listen to me, nor would she work along with my naturopath so I found a dr. who would.

5-09
TSH = 5
FT4 = 15.5
FT3 = 4.65

my dr. increased my dosage. I was feeling good

11-09 I went off bcp (started to become TIRED all the time, and not sleeping well at all)

2-10
TSH = 2.3
FT4 = 16.9
FT3 = 3.7

my dr. looked at the results and said that everything is fine, #'s where they need to be, that his only suggestion would be for me to join weight watchers and lose some weight.

not a satisfactory answer to me. while I do realize that I need to lose weight, and I'm sure that would help with the fatigue, I WAS feeling better before when I was at the same weight and I remember what I felt like BEFORE being diagnosed (extreme tired, not sleeping, constipated, cold, depressed).

any thoughts on my results?
March 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, you may want to bump up your dose just to see if that makes you feel better. Your TSH looks fairly good though it is at the upper end of normal (0.3-3.0) but everyone is different & while I may feel good at a TSH of 2 you may feel better at a TSH of 1 so that is my initial thoughts.

That being said though, FT3 & FT4 are really better indicators of what your thyroid is actually doing & with that... you say your FT4 was 16.9... are you sure? I only ask b/c the normal range at my lab indicates that normal is 0.61-1.76 so that number seems a bit off to me. What's the normal range according to the lab report, do you know?

Your FT3 looks good... normal according to my lab is 2.3-4.2.

What meds are you taking? Synthroid? You might consider switching to Armour or Nature-throid?

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
April 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
If you're feeling tired it's most likely because you're only supplementing with T4. You can either add a T3 supplement or switch to Armour or Nature-Throid which either one contains both the T4 and T3. I always felt my best with my TSH under 2. I could NEVER lose weight when I was on Synthroid only. It wasn't until I switched to Armour, that I actually lost weight. You TSH should be closest to 0 as possible without going under. The free T4 and free T3 needs to be on the highest end of normal without going over. How you feel will always be the best indicator.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What else are you taking in addition to synthroid?? What supplements are you on?

you mentioned naturopath and supplements, but not what exactly. Have you been tested for your reverse T3 also. The ratio of T3/rT3 can also show you alot. If you have high rT3, your system is putting on the brakes essentially, which can cause you to still have the tired/ low metabolism/ lack of weight loss issue regardless of your T4.

As for supplements, low iron can mimic hypothyroid symptoms. Some other supplements to look into are iodine, magnesium, potassium.
Thyroid Regulation: Online References For Health Concerns
Depends on which articles you read. The most common are the iodine and iron.

but also:
Vitamin D: http://www.goodhormonehealth.com/VitaminD.pdf

Just some ideas!
April 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofapeanut View Post
What else are you taking in addition to synthroid?? What supplements are you on?

you mentioned naturopath and supplements, but not what exactly. Have you been tested for your reverse T3 also. The ratio of T3/rT3 can also show you alot. If you have high rT3, your system is putting on the brakes essentially, which can cause you to still have the tired/ low metabolism/ lack of weight loss issue regardless of your T4.

As for supplements, low iron can mimic hypothyroid symptoms. Some other supplements to look into are iodine, magnesium, potassium.

but also:

Just some ideas!
ITA!! I am also one who likes to test the rT3. The combo of FT3, FT4 and rT3 show the whole picture.

Another common problem (if you have Hashi's, autoimmune hypothyroidism) is chronic fatigue. I find myself on some days royally dragging for no reason. Avoid foods with soy in it whenever possible. I LOVE sushi but I know that I will pay for it later because I dip it in soy sauce.... makes me very tired.

April 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-: Hampton6 :-) View Post
Another common problem (if you have Hashi's, autoimmune hypothyroidism) is chronic fatigue. I find myself on some days royally dragging for no reason. Avoid foods with soy in it whenever possible. I LOVE sushi but I know that I will pay for it later because I dip it in soy sauce.... makes me very tired.
Not to thread jack! But have you had your iron levels checked?? And not just hemoglobin either, but actual ferritin?? I was SHOCKED how low my stored iron levels were AND I was on supplements. I was flirting with anemia! They kept switching me until we found something that my body absorbs and I'm doing so much better. (although, still pregnant and tired! )
April 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Not to thread jack! But have you had your iron levels checked?? And not just hemoglobin either, but actual ferritin?? I was SHOCKED how low my stored iron levels were AND I was on supplements. I was flirting with anemia! They kept switching me until we found something that my body absorbs and I'm doing so much better. (although, still pregnant and tired! )
Just so we don't *thread jack*, I'm starting a new topic on this... I have questions.

Rick Warren

April 5th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Yep, all is well.

April 11th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:

but also:

Just some ideas!
Along with my synthroid I am taking a multi-vitamin (womens 1 a day but will be switching to a pre-natal vitamin), omega 3, olive leaf extract, and calcium magnesium.

I don't think I've heard of rT3. I'll have to check into that.
April 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
Well, you may want to bump up your dose just to see if that makes you feel better. Your TSH looks fairly good though it is at the upper end of normal (0.3-3.0) but everyone is different & while I may feel good at a TSH of 2 you may feel better at a TSH of 1 so that is my initial thoughts.

That being said though, FT3 & FT4 are really better indicators of what your thyroid is actually doing & with that... you say your FT4 was 16.9... are you sure? I only ask b/c the normal range at my lab indicates that normal is 0.61-1.76 so that number seems a bit off to me. What's the normal range according to the lab report, do you know?

Your FT3 looks good... normal according to my lab is 2.3-4.2.

What meds are you taking? Synthroid? You might consider switching to Armour or Nature-throid?
My dr. won't bump up my dose because he says my levels are fine.

On my last lab it says my FT4 is 16.9 and the normal range is 13-23 (not sure if it's different here in canada).
April 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
The last time I had a full panel of blood work where everything was tested was June 2009

Ferritin was 94 (normal range 10 to 75)
Iron was 14.5 (normal range 7 to 30)
April 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-: Hampton6 :-) View Post
If you're feeling tired it's most likely because you're only supplementing with T4. You can either add a T3 supplement or switch to Armour or Nature-Throid which either one contains both the T4 and T3. I always felt my best with my TSH under 2. I could NEVER lose weight when I was on Synthroid only. It wasn't until I switched to Armour, that I actually lost weight. You TSH should be closest to 0 as possible without going under. The free T4 and free T3 needs to be on the highest end of normal without going over. How you feel will always be the best indicator.
I've heard that many people don't feel better just on synthroid for that exact reason that you only get T4 and not T3. I'll have to ask my dr. about Armour or Nature-Throid. I'm not sure if either is available here in canada, and then I guess the cost of it would be my next question. But if it worked better I'd be willing to pay the price.

I only wish that my family dr. would listen to me when I tell him that I feel off. But since the levels come back normal to him I should be feeling just dandy. SO incredibly frustrating. It shouldn't have to feel like such a battle to have your dr. help you and really listen to you.

I wonder if I wasn't overweight if he'd take me more seriously and wouldn't just attribute everything to my weight.

I started seeing my dr. who practices chinese medicine. She started me on supplements (omega 3, olive leaf extract, calcium magnesium) as well as gave me some guidelines as to what I should/shouldn't eat to help me lose some weight. We also did acupuncture.

She also discovered that my Estradiol on my last full lab shows very low (post menopausal phase). I was however on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo at that time so I'm going for another panel of bloodwork to see if it has changed since coming off it the end of November. It will be good to know since me and my dh want to start ttc in August, and if it's still low like that it could cause problems getting pregnant.

Anyone feel exhausted and emotional just from trying to get answers and dr.'s to listen to you. I feel like I'm always having to try to learn what everything means with my bloodwork, do my own research, follow up to make sure they are doing what they said they would, push push push for them to listen to me and not think I'm crazy.
April 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.klynn View Post
I've heard that many people don't feel better just on synthroid for that exact reason that you only get T4 and not T3. I'll have to ask my dr. about Armour or Nature-Throid. I'm not sure if either is available here in canada, and then I guess the cost of it would be my next question. But if it worked better I'd be willing to pay the price.
Armour is manufactured in Canada as far as I know. It's very cheap too. I pay like $8-10 for a 30 day supply.

April 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:

Anyone feel exhausted and emotional just from trying to get answers and dr.'s to listen to you. I feel like I'm always having to try to learn what everything means with my bloodwork, do my own research, follow up to make sure they are doing what they said they would, push push push for them to listen to me and not think I'm crazy.
Totally!! I've had Hashi's for 7yrs now and it took me my 4th/5th dr before I found the right one! It's insane.

April 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Super Mommy
I was looking up the Armour & Nature Throid because I had heard that there was a shortage of the Armour. Now I read that you can get it here in Canada but that they changed the way they make it and people are complaining that it isn't working as well and that is why people are switching over to the Nature Throid.

Any knowledge on this??

I'm going to see my dr. in a few weeks in regards to getting my hormones tested again, and I'd love to talk to him about it at that time. Just wanna make sure I'm well informed first.
April 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
I was looking up the Armour & Nature Throid because I had heard that there was a shortage of the Armour. Now I read that you can get it here in Canada but that they changed the way they make it and people are complaining that it isn't working as well and that is why people are switching over to the Nature Throid.

Any knowledge on this??

I'm going to see my dr. in a few weeks in regards to getting my hormones tested again, and I'd love to talk to him about it at that time. Just wanna make sure I'm well informed first.
Yes, the new formula of Armour also didn't work well for me. It wasn't until I switched to Nature-Throid did I realize how bad I was feeling before. I feel totally awesome now! No symptoms! I feel like I used to feel when I was on the old Armour formula. It's a shame they had to mess with a good thing.

April 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vitamin D, some people, especially those with thyroid problems are SEVERELY deficient and need to supplement with HUGE doses. I take about 1500 units a day, that is a lot more than the 400-800 RDA. I feel better since starting it.

What types of foods do you eat? I seriously felt like garbage and could not lose weight, even though I was a mad woman with strict diet and exercise. Then I changed my diet, I quit following the advice of my registered dietician and lost weight for the first time in 4 years. In 4 years I lost about 42 pounds, 36 of those pounds i have lost since August 2009. My energy is through the roof. I am 'that person' in the afternoon, and drive everyone else crazy when they are on their after lunch food induced coma.

Finally, have they checked your adrenals? Similar symptoms, different treatment.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Vitamin D, some people, especially those with thyroid problems are SEVERELY deficient and need to supplement with HUGE doses. I take about 1500 units a day, that is a lot more than the 400-800 RDA. I feel better since starting it.
This is me but my OB took me off the large dose of Vit D even though he knows I'm deficient b/c he says it's too much TTC. So while TTC my thyroid dr has said to get out in the sun for at least 10 mins a day (but I don't really do that). I need to though.

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search