Iron levels???

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, tell me what you know. I actually have had my Ferritin checked a long time ago but the dr didn't say much about it. It was 52 in May of 2008 & according to the lab normal is 10-154 so I am obviously on the low end of normal. Of course that was in 2008 so I may be better/worse now. Plus I guess my dr's aren't *that* knowledgeable on supplements b/c I know my OB took me off several supplements (magnesium, B12, D, & fish oil) b/c a pre-natal is "all I need". Anyway, so I stopped it all (b/c I am trying desperately to conceive (though I'm on a MA break till July)) & now only take a prenatal. Honestly I was at the low end of normal for the B12 & magnesium tests & was taking the supplements to "increase my energy" but I never felt any different on them verses coming off them. So could iron help? How low is flirting with anemia???

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
April 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Mine has only been low during pg. It was like 50 as well. Outside of pg, I have been fine.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so according to my natural doctor, a healthy level for iron for women is between 50-150, but he would really like to see that number much closer to 100 (for me! ).

When I was first tested in August, I believe I was in the 20's. I'd have to dig out my results (preggo brain). At the end of my first trimester, I had gone up to the 30's on a prenatal AND a separate iron supplement (ferrogel forte I believe it was called).

Well, I had some problems in Dec/Jan with heart rate and palpitations so he ran my full bloodwork again and my iron was lower than August. Which, because I was pregnant, I had reached the point where my blood quantity had doubled and the cellular content had not quite caught up. Even my hemoglobin was very low. This whole time I'm taking the supplements. So he switched me to Sevate 21/7. I'm doing much better on it. I was literally sleeping the entire day away. I had missed several days of work because of it. I haven't gotten my ferritin re checked quite yet, I have an order to get it here shortly. My hemoglobin is up to 11 now though.

You're right though, 50 is the low end of "ok". And one of my problems was my periods were always so heavy. He said that this could be due to the iron being so low, then when your periods are heavy like that, your iron cannot build up either. But I had progestrone checked and I'm fine (which is the other culprit for heavy periods).

I'm not sure why they told you to stop taking your other supplements!? Mg is VERY important for hypothyroidism. I found out the hard way. I actually had to double my supplement when I was having those issues with my heart rate. Here Mg plays an incredibly important roll that I didn't know the half of. And vit D doesn't hurt either! I'm not sure what prenatal you're on, but mine are typically what "baby" needs the most and not what MOMMY needs. I feel like a pill popper anymore, but the more I see my bloodwork and how the supplements are changing the way I feel, the more regimented I am about making sure I get them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search