Prenatals and thyroid medication

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I guess I'm grasping at straws, trying to figure out what's wrong with me and why I lost 2 babies in less than 6 months...Last night I was looking things up and found that you should never take your prenatal's with your thyroid medication because the iron in the prenatal's will stop your body from absorbing your thyroid hormones...I didn't know that...I've taken both together forever not thinking anything of if...I also don't take my thyroid med's on an empty stomach, esp in the first trimester of pregnancy since having an empty stomach makes me ill...I'm so mad at myself thinking that it could be my fault that my babies died...I'm also so worried that now that I have no thyroid that I'll never be able to have another baby...Is there anyone out there with no thyroid that went on to carry a baby?

April 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
First, don't blame yourself!!! *HUGS* Those little things won't have such a huge impact to cause you to lose your babies. I'm SO sorry for your losses. Levels during pg are normally out of whack and to try to keep them perfect is nearly impossible. I suggest getting your TPO checked to see if it's autoimmune. Have you ever had your iron level checked? Progesterone? I had to be on both the whole first trimester with Oliver. I have read that it's pretty common to have those other deficiencies with hypothyroidism. Hang in there hun. I'm sure there ARE answers.... just don't blame yourself for things that are out of your control.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
April 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what's TPO? I'm not sure what i've been tested for...When I lost Ella back in October they took like 12 viles of blood from me, and seemed to test me for a lot of things...This time my doctor even said that he wasn't sure what to test my blood for since they had just tested me not even 6 months before...They took a few viles, and i'm not sure...I think he was testing my thyroid levels...I have been getting my thyroid checked monthly since I found out I was pregnant...It's just so frustrating since i've now lost 2 babies since getting my thyroid out...I had 4 healthy children before, and I don't know what's going on

April 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I can't imagine. Before getting pg with Oliver, it took us 19mos and 4 cycles of fertility meds/IUI to get pg! With my other two I got pg within 2mos for both! I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism 3mos after I had DS1. Talk about a 360* turn around! It's sad how much this disease effects things.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
April 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Megan, if you always took your meds with your vitamin and the docs had your levels at a good amount than it is okay. Yes, it can make you absorb less, but than when the doctors tested your blood it would be off, and they would have adjusted your meds to 'fix' that. I never used to take mine on an empty stomach and it was okay because had the right does for someone who ate breakfast or drank milk around the time of taking their meds. If you suddenly stopped taking your pre-natals and eating with your meds you might need your dose lowered. The important thing is to be consistent. If you want to eat with them ALWAYS eat with them, etc.

Oh, and "hi" to anyone who remembers me

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 04:40 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Megan, if you always took your meds with your vitamin and the docs had your levels at a good amount than it is okay. Yes, it can make you absorb less, but than when the doctors tested your blood it would be off, and they would have adjusted your meds to 'fix' that. I never used to take mine on an empty stomach and it was okay because had the right does for someone who ate breakfast or drank milk around the time of taking their meds. If you suddenly stopped taking your pre-natals and eating with your meds you might need your dose lowered. The important thing is to be consistent. If you want to eat with them ALWAYS eat with them, etc.

Oh, and "hi" to anyone who remembers me
Ditto! If you've always done it, you will end up taking more medicine to be in the noraml range sine you are absorbing less but you will still normalize in that normal range if your dr is taking care of you & I'm sure he is.

Don't beat yourself up. It's NOT your fault! I don't have my thyroid completely out but it has been extremely hard on me TTC too. We finally got pg after 3 years of infertility last year only to have a m/c at 11 wks. I also learned that I had a progesterone defect (CD23 blood test) so I had to use Clomid to get pg. And now Clomid hasn't worked since the m/c so I went to the RE & will be doing injectables later this year... praise the Lord for providing them for me for FREE! Anyway, we're on a 6 month MA break till July so we won't be back into actively TTC till then.

BTW, a great book to read on the subject & become more educated on hypo is Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary J. Shomon. I recommend it to EVERYONE.

GL!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search