Question???

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran
Can someone give me a list of foods we should stay away from? Or maybe some links... Thanks!
- Conrad Hilton

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

April 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well from a purely thyroid standpoint you want to stay away from raw cruciferous veggies.
WHFoods: What are goitrogens and in which foods are they found?

Many people that have thyroid issues also have other issues, particularly if they have auto-immune thyroid problems. In that case they may find it is beneficial to eat an anti-inflammatory diet. That would mean avoiding a lot more, like grains, and beans.

I know many thyroid women that are are either sensitive to gluten or completely have Celiac disease.

I belong to a weight loss centered thyroid support group and they majority of the women that lose weight there follow some version of either gluten free, or just low carb in general.

This link will be primarily about diabetes, which I know isn't our discussion, but it is a hormone problem too, and in it he mentions why eating like a diabetic is good for someone with thyroid issues, particulary one that is having symptoms despite having a 'good' TSH.
The Definitive Guide to Insulin, Blood Sugar & Type 2 Diabetes (and you’ll understand it) | Mark's Daily Apple look at #6 in the numbered area.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I ditto Meghan. I try to stay away from foods with soy in it. I eat a lot of those other goitrogens and had no idea they did that.... thanks for the info Meghan!!! Think I may remove these from my diet for a little while and see what it does for me.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

April 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Wanna see my 'before and during' pics from my weight loss? I still need to lose about 15-20 pounds, but I am in a healthy BMI with a healthy abdominal circumference now.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-pictures.html

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 06:45 PM
AWESOME job Meghan!!! Was that just with diet?

April 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Well, no, but I didn't increase my activity level, actually I decreased it some.

Before that from 2006 until that August, aside from any time spent pregnant. I ate a diet that was prescribed to me by a registered dietician (this woman had a lot of success with her other patients) and an exercise program that was outlined by an exercise physiologist. I exercise anywhere from 4-8 times a week. I did hours of carido and lifted weights to help increase muscle mass in hopes of revving up my metabolism.

In Aug when I changed my diet I curtailed the amount of cardio I did. I went from 60 min session 4-5 times a week to 20-30 minute sessions, I just worked out differently. But, absoultely I did LESS exercise than before.

On the 'fitness program' I would be happy to lose 1-3 pounds in a month. On my new program I lost WAY more than that. Now my weight loss has slowed down, but I am not as strict with my diet as I need to be, and i have not exercised more than once a week in a while. Even with only doing about 30 minutes of cardio a week I have not gained any of the weight back. I am just losing slower.

My mom, who has sub-clinical hypothyroid that is untreated, is on the same diet and does not exercise at all. She has gone from a size 14-16 to a size 10. My dad went from wearing a size 46 to a size 34-36. And my husband has lost about 50 pounds. The most interesting thing though is it has helped my oldest son with his learning difficulties and behavoral problems, along with helping with his bouts of diarrhea.

Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Do detail. I'm going to eliminate the foods from that chart and see if it makes a difference.

April 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
BTW, every time I diet (like now), I follow the diabetic/ GI diet. It works great for me. Before I got pg with Ollipop, I had insulin resistance. I was on meds my whole pg. I haven't tested in a year. I think I need to again to see if I should go back on my meds.

April 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I follow a pretty basic plan really. I don't use that chart, it was posted as the general foods to avoid if you have thyroid issues, but I don't really avoid some of them....others I avoid like the plague.

So, I don't eat grains, beans (including peanuts- since they are a legume) and I really limit potatos. I do eat sweet potatoes on occasion. I no longer count calories, or limit most anything else. Up to 3 meals a week (or about 20% of my overall intake) I will have a treat or 'open meal', so if the kids want pizza on Friday, I don't deprive myself of it.

You can read more about the diet here:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Original introduction Ben Balzer’s Paleolithic Diet Weblog

Sail Back to Me
April 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Starting a new topic on this since we've totally hijacked this thread.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search