Why TSH matters little!

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Here is a great example of why TSH matters very little. I went and had my 1yr PP blood work done.

FT4- .73 (.82-1.77)
TT4- 5.0 (4.5-12.0)
TSH- .939 (.45- 4.5)

FT4 and TT4 are LOW.... was on 60mg of Nature-throid and upped to 120mg of Armour (told to crush the pills to avoid the filler issues). If they were to just go by my TSH, than there would be no adjustments in my meds. You see how low the other values are.... the FT4 is below the normal range! I am on 1000mg of Metformin a day for my IR and I've read in several places that it can interfere with TSH levels. Now who's to know if that was the case here, but the other numbers are low enough to raise my meds.

TEST your Free T's, ladies!!!

Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

May 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran
Very interesting! Can you tell me what crushing the armour does? I know you said filler issues, but I'm not familiar with what that means. Is the armour better absorbed by the body if it is crushed first?
May 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck View Post
Very interesting! Can you tell me what crushing the armour does? I know you said filler issues, but I'm not familiar with what that means. Is the armour better absorbed by the body if it is crushed first?
How to make reformulated Armour and Naturethroid work! | Stop The Thyroid Madness?

May 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Veteran
The article seems rather vague. I'm wondering if swallowing the pill and waiting a whole hour before eating or drinking would do the same thing as crushing. Maybe some of those people are just not waiting a whole hour? Do people crush the pill because their thyroid levels are still coming back high, or because they still have symptoms even with normal levels. For instance, my levels are in a good range, but I still experience some symptoms. Maybe if I crushed the pill, I would notice the decrease of symptoms. Hmm, interesting. Maybe I should just call my pharmacy.
May 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I was on Armour a few months ago (had been on it for almost 2yrs) and it didn't work as effectively for me either. My symptoms started to return. I was a HUGE advocate for it before that. I always wait an hour to eat and take it first thing in the am. Go Google it... it's a rather common problem with the new formula. I would def crush it and see how you do after that. There's nothing wrong with crushing the pill unlike some meds. Keeping an eye on your free T's is most important in managing your levels and symptoms IMO. Some women experience symptoms when everything is in range because it's autoimmune and a dr hasn't properly dx them yet. VERY few drs will acknowledge you have a thyroid issue (or future one) if your numbers are in range but you have anit-thyroid antibodies in your system.

May 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran
So I called my pharmacy (it is a compounding pharmacy) and he told me that taking the pill by crushing it and putting it under your tongue will cause too much absorption if your TSH levels are already normal. Basically you would be getting too high of a dose in this way, since this method of absorption bypasses the liver. Since my levels are good, he said he would definitely not recommend me taking the pill that way. Just interesting how there are different schools of thought out there.
May 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
So I called my pharmacy (it is a compounding pharmacy) and he told me that taking the pill by crushing it and putting it under your tongue will cause too much absorption if your TSH levels are already normal. Basically you would be getting too high of a dose in this way, since this method of absorption bypasses the liver. Since my levels are good, he said he would definitely not recommend me taking the pill that way. Just interesting how there are different schools of thought out there.
This could easily mean that you can take a lesser dose if you were to crush it. If it's currently working for you, then don't worry about it. Your TSH level should be closest to 0 as possible. The free's should be on the highest end of normal w/o going over.

May 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran
Again, just interesting that there are different opinions and methods of treatment. Research I've done says TSH should be a 1 or a 2, not down around 0. I would think it would be risky to experiment with crushing the pill to see if one could drop to a lesser dose, unless specifically instructed to do so by a doctor. In your case, you mentioned you were told to do that, so that's good that it's working for you.
May 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Again, just interesting that there are different opinions and methods of treatment. Research I've done says TSH should be a 1 or a 2, not down around 0. I would think it would be risky to experiment with crushing the pill to see if one could drop to a lesser dose, unless specifically instructed to do so by a doctor. In your case, you mentioned you were told to do that, so that's good that it's working for you.
TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone... getting it down to 0 means that your body has detected a proper amount and doesn't need to send the signal from your pituitary to your thyroid to produce the T hormones. The normal range is .3-3.0, so keeping it around 0 is perfectly fine. *2 cents* I know Chrystal does the same thing.

May 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with keeping it as close to 0 as possible...even though my Doc will be satisfied if it's around 2, I know I still have symptoms unless it's under 1, so we keep it as low as possible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search