Supplements & Diets

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I've been considering taking thyroid support to help boost my metabolism and help with weight loss, lack of energy, libido, and skin issues.

Do you guys take anything other than your prescribed meds?

I've been considering Enzymatic Therapy Fatigued to Fantastic Energy Enfusion and/or Enzymatic Therapy Thyroid Formula (Formerly Thyroid/L-Tyrosine) but this one is 2 capsuls 3 times a day and that would kill me.

I'm also thinking of going on the ZONE diet adjusting to the following recommendations for Hypothyroidism:

NO NO FOODS
Pototoes
Corn
Raw Cruciferous vegetables such as Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Mustard greens, Kale, Spinach, Peaches, Pears, Strawberries, Radishes and Millet
Fatty Meats
Soy products

Yes Yes FOODS
Buy Organic chicken, eggs, dairy, beef, lamb, pork, etc. to avoid low progesterone complications.
Selenium - Brazil Nuts, Lean Metas, meat, chicken, salmon, tuna, seafood, whole unrefined grains, brazil nuts, brewer’s yeast, dairy products, garlic, onions and black strap molasses.

Tyrosine-rich foods - meat, fish, turkey and chicken breast, low fat milk and yogurt, almonds, avocado, bananas, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, lentils.
Iodine-rich foods - Celtic sea salt, seaweed (sushi, nori rolls), salt water fish and sea food.
Supplements of Vitamin B complex and essential fatty acids because they help to balance the entire hormonal system.

Fiber: beans, rice, grains, whole weat, oatmeal
WHOLE GRAINS
Seafood, Lean Protein
Water

May 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I take meds for my insulin resistance (Metformin) and my energy levels have been wonderful. I obviously follow a tight diet for the IR so I'm already limited. South Beach diet, 2nd/3rd phase seems to work best for me. I do eat 80-90% organic. Most of the stuff is minimally processed if I eat processed foods at all. I gave up diet sodas 4w ago. I only drink 1 coffee in the morning and rest of the day is water with an occasional unsweet tea. It's hard but worth it IMO.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

May 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Veteran
I can't say that I have heard of those supplements, so I don't really have much advice about that. I just wanted to encourage you that weight loss is possible, even with hypothyroidism. I have been doing weight watchers since Feb. 8, and I have lost 23.5 pounds. This is huge for me, because the scale had just been going up and up, and now, it's going down! The diet you mentioned sounds very doable and very reasonable. Don't give up - I think I can relate to you in that I had problems with weight loss and skin issues and fatigue for so long, I never thought I would get better. I never thought I would be "myself" again, and I felt like my thyroid problem "took" something from me, ya know? It just took time to regulate dosages and meds. It's taken about a year and a half. It would have taken less time if I had known more about thyroid problems going into it. Hang in there, keep trying different things you can do to improve your condition, and don't give up hope. That was pretty long and rambling, but hope that helps just a little.
May 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't take many supplements, just cod liver oil and magnesium.

I started eating 'primal' in August of 2009 and have lost a lot of weight that way. My skin is amazing too, and it has helped lower my cholesterol..bonus!

It is similar to what you posted except I don't eat grains and I do eat fatty meats

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Thank you, you ladies are so encouraging! It's so hard with a toddler and a hubby who cannot put on weight to save their lives. My entire life I never had to worry about this either, i struggled to maintain 120lbs. This really messes with my head.

Is weight loss with Hypo possible without a heavy exercise regime?

What is 'primal'?

May 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is totally possible. That has been one of the hardest things for me as well, I was always the same weight, 126 lbs (I'm 5' 7") no matter what I ate, and I could eat whatever I wanted and stay slim. When the hypo started (I didn't know it at the time) I just ballooned, and no matter what I did I either stayed the same or gained. Once I got the hypo under some control (it's still pretty variable, I have Hashi's so it keeps getting worse and I keep having to increase my synthroid) I was able to lose the extra weight with minimal effort. I don't follow any specific diet now, just healthy foods, and my weight is regulating itself. I don't think I'll ever go back to 126, but I was down to 145 (from 175) before becoming pregnant.

May 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Primal means I follow The Primal Blueprint. It is a way of eating based on consuming foods that the human body was meant to eat. I avoid grains, beans and potatoes because they contain anti-nutrients which cause infalmmation in the body and can lead to auto-immune dysfunction. Plus, too much carbs can lead to insulin resistance, which then leads to a dysfunction in the body's ability to convert T4 into T3.

I was unable to lose wieght for almost four years after being diagnoesd with hypothyroidism in Dec 2005. I had gained 40 pounds from Oct to Dec. At my highest I was 210, since i am not super tall at 5"5' I was carrying a good bit of extra weight considering I was eating 'right' and exercising 4-6 times a week. I spent 3.5 years following a strict diet and exercise program that was prescribed by a dietician and exercise physiologist. In those 3.5 years I lost 10 pounds. In Aug 2009 I started to eat primally (also called paleo diet). I decreased my exercise from 4-6 days a week to 2-3 and since then I have lost about 30 pounds. I am now at my goal wieght, my "I will never get there weight" where my BMI is 'healthy'. Of course now my goal wieght has been adjusted downa nd I want to lose about 10-15 more pounds, but I would be fine if I stayed right here.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Sounds very smart, eat the way our body was designed to. I'm going to look into it...

May 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
More info:

Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Sail Back to Me
May 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Very cool...thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search