BFP With Hypo

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I got a BFP this morning!

Should I ask to be seen for my first appointment ASAP due to severe hypothyroidism? (my thyroid is totally inactive).

They usually do not see patients until after 8 weeks. Does this mean my OB will take over my thyroid care for the duration of my pregnancy rather than my GP? I'd rather not be going to more appointments than necessary since I work and have a toddler.

I ask for T4 and TSH to be monitored right?

Any advice?

May 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all...CONGRATULATIONS!

I would go sooner than later since the baby's thyroid does not function on its own until late in the pregnancy, so he needs to get his thyroid hormones from you. If you are not producing at all, you will definitely need to up your dose to compensate for baby. My ob took over since it was just a matter of monitoring levels and changing the dosage. My thyroid is practically inactive as well, and I was tested every 4 weeks throughout the pregnancy and my dose was increased every single time.

May 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran
Hey, Congrats on the BFP! I would definitely ask to be seen sooner than 8 weeks, but that's just me. I'm guessing that every OB office has a different policy on how to handle hypo patients. My Endo said that if/when I get pregnant again, I will just need to run down to their office every 4 weeks to have blood tested to monitor my levels. Sounds like no big deal. My sil just recently had a baby (she is hypo as well), and her OB office said she needed to have blood drawn at a perinatologist's office (I'm assuming this is because my sil did NOT have an endo already treating her for hypo). My sil asked if it was absolutely necessary to have to see the perinatologist, and she was told by the OB that if she did not see the peri, then she would have to see an actual M.D., rather than the midwife she was seeing. She loved her midwife, so she kept doing the extra blood work. Although she did tell me that she would push the blood work to every six weeks, instead of every four. Personally, I would have stuck to what my doctor recommended. Not passing judgment, baby was fine, but still, I tend to be very precise when dealing with a pregnancy. Congrats again!
May 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you!

Since I'm only 12 DPO and AF isn't due till Thursday I think I'm going to wait until Monday to call. I'm on 175mcg now as it is and I've lost 5lbs in the past week so I think it will be OK to wait a week.

May 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Oh a week, sure. I went from 100mcg to 150mcg in the space of a couple of months during this pregnancy. Just keep an eye on it and make sure you get tested regularly. When you read about possible side effects for baby from having a hypo mom, they usually mean UNTREATED hypo. So if you're being treated, baby will be a-ok.

May 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Woohhhoooo!!!! CONGRATS!!!! I say go in at 6w and get tested. Nothing dramatic will happen between now and then. KUP on any results you get!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was tested every 6 weeks. I just had my PCM put in the lab order, but I wok in the same building as my primary doc, so that was easier. The lab is right downstairs too.

I have never had to have my dosage increased while pregnant, and I basically have anon-functioning thyroid too. Well, enough to be at a TSH of 100 at diagnosis.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I was tested every 6 weeks. I just had my PCM put in the lab order, but I wok in the same building as my primary doc, so that was easier. The lab is right downstairs too.

I have never had to have my dosage increased while pregnant, and I basically have anon-functioning thyroid too. Well, enough to be at a TSH of 100 at diagnosis.
Ditto. My pg with Oliver, I never had to adjust my meds. I do suggest getting tested every 4w, however starting at 6w.

May 17th, 2010, 09:53 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!

I had my thyroid removed in September, and when I got pregnant in Jan I called my dr's office and they just faxed an order or whatever they do into the lab and I got my blood tested before my period was even due...Also, my OB didn't take over my thryoid, my endo still was the one who ordered the tests etc...I was going in once a month to get mine tested...My meds increased a lot, but my endo told me that's very normal in pregnancy and nothing to worry about...Good luck!

May 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks ladies! I have another question. Did your HYPO affect weight gain during pregnancy? I was never able to shake 30 of the 45 I gained with Maddie and I was diagnosed Hypo 6 months PP. I'm hoping to keep my weight gain at a minimum this time. If I go over 160 pregnant I'm going to freak out. right now I'm currently 5'6, 145.

May 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
when I found out I was hypo in my pregnancy almost 5 years ago I only gained 20lbs, that was my only full term pregnancy when I knew I was hypo...I got my thyroid removed in September while pregnant, and well I can't really say since the pregnancy ended shortly after, but I don't think I gained any weight during that pregnancy....My last pregnancy I was full on hypo with no thyroid, and I only gained like a pound, maybe 2 in the 15 weeks I was pregnant....I guess it depends on the person...I was trying not to over eat so I didn't gain weight since I know that's something that can happen easily with no thyroid...Sorry i'm no help, thats just my experiance.

May 19th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I haven't gained that much this time, less than with DD, but I was undiagnosed at that time and struggling with the weight in general. I'd say it was easier this time to keep my weight gain more reasonable. I think I've only gained about 25 lbs and I'm just about due....

May 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganMomof5 View Post
when I found out I was hypo in my pregnancy almost 5 years ago I only gained 20lbs, that was my only full term pregnancy when I knew I was hypo...I got my thyroid removed in September while pregnant, and well I can't really say since the pregnancy ended shortly after, but I don't think I gained any weight during that pregnancy....My last pregnancy I was full on hypo with no thyroid, and I only gained like a pound, maybe 2 in the 15 weeks I was pregnant....I guess it depends on the person...I was trying not to over eat so I didn't gain weight since I know that's something that can happen easily with no thyroid...Sorry i'm no help, thats just my experiance.
I'm so sorry. Do you mind if I ask if your losses were related to your thyroid condition?

I did a blood draw today for my Endo that I needed to have done anyway. When she calls with the results I'll tell her I'm preggo and I'm sure she'll see me in a month anyway.

May 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I only gained 16lbs with DS1 (tho I was dx after he was born) and 11lbs with DS2. I also had to follow a diet though because of my IR.

May 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicyn View Post
I'm so sorry. Do you mind if I ask if your losses were related to your thyroid condition?

I did a blood draw today for my Endo that I needed to have done anyway. When she calls with the results I'll tell her I'm preggo and I'm sure she'll see me in a month anyway.

My doctor's say no my losses weren't from my thyroid...According to them my thyroid levels were great...Good luck with everything!

May 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not gain too much weight while pregnant, even with hypo and even with undiagnosed hypo. I think though that I get thyroiditis while pregnant, which is why I don't need an increase in my meds either.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks ladies. Well I heard back from my Endo office today regarding my blood work last week.

The nurse didn't give me numbers, she told me the DR wanted me to take a week OFF my meds and then to take them 5 days a week. Isn't that weird?

I told her I had a positive pregnancy test last week and since the DR wanted to see me again anyway, I'm going in on Friday to get some more specific answers and numbers.

May 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
wow that's strange!!! I don't know if that's normal, but I do know while I was pregnant my med's went up every month that I was pregnant instead of down...I would question them and ask the reasons why....I myself don't know enough about thyroid problems, but I do know that it's so important especially in early pregnancy.

May 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hhmmmm, I've never heard of that. I don't think it's smart to come off your meds like that. You should get your numbers and then see about switching drs. My meds never needed adjusting during pg.

May 28th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Well that was her advice BEFORE learning that I was pregnant. As soon as the nurse told me that I told her I received a positive pregnancy test and if that changes the recommendations. The nurse said that the dr wanted to see me anyway so I'm going in in an hour to find out what's next.

I'm curious as to why she would advise to stop for a week and then go 5 days a week in the first place, rather than adjust my dosage.

I'll find out shortly and let you know!

Oh and I forgot, I've been calorie counting and made changes to my diet and added vitamins since my last thread, and I've lost 6lbs steady over the last 2 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search