new here

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
jess75's Avatar Co-Host March 09 PR
I just had blood work done on Tuesday to test my thyroid b/c I have been losing hair like crazy and have no energy. Sure enough, it came back low.

I am starting synthroid tomorrow and go back for repeat blood work in 5 wks.

What are some of the side effects I can expect. I am really hoping it will help me lose weight and get my hair to grow back!

What dosage is everyone on?

Thank you Ashypoo for my siggie!
Thank you Stephanee for our PR siggie!

July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, Sorry you have to be here though. I'm Amanda & was dx in 2006.

Actually a side effect of Synthroid can be your hair falling out. Do you know what they tested... TSH only or did they run some other tests. Most dr's usually only test TSH but you should also request/make sure they test Free T3 & Free T4 as well. Synthroid is T4 only so if you test Free T3 & it is low, adding a T3 hormone (Cytomel) will help tremendously. There are also combination drugs out there that have both T3 & T4 like Nature-throid & Armour.

I took Synthroid to begin with but my hair kept falling out so I ended up leaving my endo & found a dr willing to test my Free T3 & learned that it was low. We added some T3 to my Synthroid & voila, my hair quit falling out. I have since changed my meds again to Armour.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary J. Shomon & reading it. It will bring up to speed on everything hypo & if you have any questions, please ask.

GL & HTHs.

Oh BTW, I think I started at like 175 mcg of Synthroid but normalized around 125 mcg then when I switched to Armour & I take 120 mg (or 2 grains) now. When I was dx my TSH was 45.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Last edited by ~InHisHands~; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
July 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
jess75's Avatar Co-Host March 09 PR
thanks for the info and the book recommendation. I will check that out.

I have no idea what they tested for. I assume just TSH so I will ask them to test all of it when I go back in 5 wks. My ob/gyn requested these test but I am looking for a new primary care physician so I will ask them to test for all of those things as well.

Thank you Ashypoo for my siggie!
Thank you Stephanee for our PR siggie!

July 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm Stacey, the host here! I was dx in 2003 with autoimmune Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I'm on 120mg of Armour and LOVE it. I was on Synthroid for years and it did nothing for me. Be sure that they do test the free's like Amanda suggested. They tell you WAY more about what's going on than the TSH test. 95% of people with hypothyroidism need to supplement for both T4 and T3.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search