I'm having lots of salt issues...

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been having intense and I mean INTENSE extreme salt cravings since I had my last ds. I eat so much of it every day that it's really unhealthy especially since I have high blood pressure. Before eating all this salt I was taking Synthroid at 175 mcg daily and had been for years. Now my doctor says I'm getting too much Iodine. Too much Iodine will make your thyroid work in overdrive. Now my levels are too high. She's decreased my dose to 150 mcg and it's still too high so I'm moving on to 125 mcg.

She says unless I stop eating the salt my levels will never be controlled. My problem is WHY am I having such intense salt cravings to start with? Any ideas? I have had hypothyroidism for 14 years and this is the first time I've ever decreased my dose.

September 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
have your doctor check your adrenals. Salt cravings can be a sign of adrenal fatigue and its quite common with thyroid patience. I have it and it can mess up your thyroid levels. Normally people with adrenal fatigue do not have high blood pressure and so the salt actually helps but there are some people who have it along with high blood pressure and you would want to watch your salt intake.

The only test that is accurate for adrenal fatigue is a 24 hr saliva test. You will put saliva in a tube about 4 or 5 times during the day and they will test over time. There is a curve that it should follow. Do not have your doc do a blood test for adrenal fatigue because it is a one time test and will not give you a full view of the curve your body should take over 24hrs.

Do you have any other symptoms like trouble sleeping, sluggishness especially in the late afternoon, dizziness? There are a lot of symptoms and they are similar to those for thyroid problems which is why its often missed.
September 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also if you really feel the need to feed your salt craving switch to sea salt or purchase salt that is not supplemented with iodine. Yes, you will still be having too much salt, but it will fix the thyroid aspect of it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
September 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin.minus.thyroid View Post
have your doctor check your adrenals. Salt cravings can be a sign of adrenal fatigue and its quite common with thyroid patience. I have it and it can mess up your thyroid levels. Normally people with adrenal fatigue do not have high blood pressure and so the salt actually helps but there are some people who have it along with high blood pressure and you would want to watch your salt intake.

The only test that is accurate for adrenal fatigue is a 24 hr saliva test. You will put saliva in a tube about 4 or 5 times during the day and they will test over time. There is a curve that it should follow. Do not have your doc do a blood test for adrenal fatigue because it is a one time test and will not give you a full view of the curve your body should take over 24hrs.

Do you have any other symptoms like trouble sleeping, sluggishness especially in the late afternoon, dizziness? There are a lot of symptoms and they are similar to those for thyroid problems which is why its often missed.
Hmm, If my PCP has no answers I may just need to see an endocrinologist. I've never had one before but I need to get this under control. I also have Thyroid eye disease but I got that while my thyroid was way underactive. It all sucks really.

September 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Also if you really feel the need to feed your salt craving switch to sea salt or purchase salt that is not supplemented with iodine. Yes, you will still be having too much salt, but it will fix the thyroid aspect of it.
Ditto! To me it sounds like low iron. I tend to crave salty food when AF is here and I've always been borderline anemic. Ask them to check your ferritin levels.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) -2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) - 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Praying for our rainbow baby coming in March!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search