Reverse T3 and some questions about Hashimoto's

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Veteran
1. Can someone explain what the reverse T3 test is for?

2. Can having Hashimoto's cause a person to flip-flop between hypo and hyper symptoms continuously?

3. If you have Hashimoto's and you have your thyroid completely removed, would that mean that you would stop having Hashimoto's and have you ever heard of someone having to do that in order to get rid of severe symptoms?
October 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
reverse T3 is an inactive form of T3. T4 is a storage hormone that is converted into T3 which is the active form that your body uses. When your body needs more it converts more of your T4. If you have a problem with your conversion your body will convert your T4 into Reverse T3 and no matter how much T4 (synthyroid) you take you will continue to be Hypo because your body cannot use the Reverse T3. RT3 also is a larger molecule and will "clog" your T3 receptors making it harder for your body to use what T3 that your body converts.

I have had this problem for a while and it was caused by adrenal fatigue (which was caused by undertreated hypothyroidism most likely)

I dont have any info on Hashimotos for you, I had my thyroid removed because it was enlarged and overactive. I have to say that removing it did NOT get rid of my symptoms at all, it actually gave me much worse symptoms just hypo rather than hyper
DD born 1/3/12

October 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I ditto everything Erin said! It's def a good test to have done to see if you have a conversion problem and treat it as needed.

I believe removing the thyroid won't stop the AI disease. I can't say that with certainty, but from what I've gathered on AI diseases, you can lower the antibodies but never really rid of it. On a side note, since you ARE AI, the chances of getting other AI diseases is great.... insulin resistance/diabetes, lupus, Crohn's etc.

Autoimmune disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

October 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree with both of hte above. If you have an auto immune disease like Hashi's taking out the thyroid won't heal you. But, it will make it easier to stabilize. Since having the thyroid can send you between hyper and hypo, not having it will make you always hypo and you would be able to regulate your meds better.

What is happening with Hashi's is your body is attacking your thyroid, and sometimes you thyroid can handle it and will produce the right amount of hormone, so if you are medicated it will send you hyper. Other times you will be in an acute thyroiditis, which will ALSO send you hyper. THen other times it will just crap out and quit working which will make you hypo. Removing the thyroid will mean that it isn't sending out hormone sporadically making the hormones fluctuate. Most people don't really have this problem.

What Stacey said is right too. You need to look at your lifestyle. A lot of people with Hashi's are also gluten/grain intolerant because of the inflammatory properties. If you change your diet and reduce the inflammation in your body it might help to even out your symptoms.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the replies! I guess I misunderstood about the RT3 - I think that would only happen if I was taking a T4 med only, such as Synthroid. Since I am on Armour, I am getting T4 as well as T3, so I'm guessing I don't have a problem with Reverse T3. I hope I'm understanding that right?

As far as the hashimoto's, I guess I'm on a personal mission to see if I can get to the bottom of what caused it, and how to reverse the effects, even if I can't fully get rid of the disease. My DH and I have been reading about a Vitamin D deficiency possibly being at the root of developing Hashimoto's, although there seem to be quite a few other opinions out there.
November 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I developed postpartum thyroidosis with a genetic predisposition to Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. It went undiagnosed for 8 months after I had the baby and my first tested levels were in the 300's - I shouldn't have even been walking around. I had chalked all the symptoms up to having a new born. This ended up being a permanent condition for me - basically, pregnancy fried my thyroid. It's been 2 years now and I have yet to lose a lb of baby weight. My levels wont' stay level and I'm very symptomatic. Not really swinging hypo/hyper but needing more than less meds every 3 months. I'm fed up with Levothyroxine and am going to ask for a t3/t4 or Armour to try. My QOL sucks.

Here I am 2 years of being treated, going from 125 to 175 to 133 mcg of levo.. these are my symptoms:

Fatigue
Depression
Modest weight gain/Diffiduclty losing
Cold intolerance
Dry, coarse hair
Dry skin
Muscle cramps (especially at night)
Increased cholesterol levels (ongoing)
Decreased concentration
Vague aches and pains (as if getting sick but not)
Sinus swelling and issue
Changes in vision
Dry, painful eyes
Puffy eyes
Galactorrhea
Thin, Frail Nails
Menstrual irregularities
Low Libido
Miscarriage at 11 weeks.

My endo better have some better treatment options for me come Dec 20th. I can't take much more of this.

December 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran
Oh my goodness, that is terrible! I cannot even imagine what it feels like to have a TSH in the 300's! I'm glad you are thinking of switching meds, and I sure hope you can find some relief soon. Looking over your list of symptoms, I had about 14 of those same symptoms at the time I was originally diagnosed, and so I totally sympathize with you that QOL is awful when you are dealing with all of that. I hope you feel better soon!
December 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicyn View Post
I developed postpartum thyroidosis with a genetic predisposition to Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. It went undiagnosed for 8 months after I had the baby and my first tested levels were in the 300's - I shouldn't have even been walking around. I had chalked all the symptoms up to having a new born. This ended up being a permanent condition for me - basically, pregnancy fried my thyroid. It's been 2 years now and I have yet to lose a lb of baby weight. My levels wont' stay level and I'm very symptomatic. Not really swinging hypo/hyper but needing more than less meds every 3 months. I'm fed up with Levothyroxine and am going to ask for a t3/t4 or Armour to try. My QOL sucks.

Here I am 2 years of being treated, going from 125 to 175 to 133 mcg of levo.. these are my symptoms:

Fatigue
Depression
Modest weight gain/Diffiduclty losing
Cold intolerance
Dry, coarse hair
Dry skin
Muscle cramps (especially at night)
Increased cholesterol levels (ongoing)
Decreased concentration
Vague aches and pains (as if getting sick but not)
Sinus swelling and issue
Changes in vision
Dry, painful eyes
Puffy eyes
Galactorrhea
Thin, Frail Nails
Menstrual irregularities
Low Libido
Miscarriage at 11 weeks.

My endo better have some better treatment options for me come Dec 20th. I can't take much more of this.

That really stinks. My TSh was 100 at diagnosis, I ended up on .150 of synthroid before being switch ed to Armour. I do feel better.

On the weight loss issue. I was unable to lose weight with diet and exercise following the 'healthy' diet prescribed by the food guide pyramid. It does NOT work for most people with hypothyroidism, especially if it has a auto-immune component like Hashi's. If you click my link in my siggy you can see my progress. I went from 180+ pounds to 160 or so in about 6 months. From 44+ inches to 34 inches around my waist in about 6-12 months. This was before changing my meds. It can be done, but you have to be willing to drastically change the way you eat.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran
^ Wow, that is great that you lost weight and inches!! Good job on your success!

I wanted to add that I started Weight Watchers in February 2010 and by the beginning of June, I had lost 28 pounds. I didn't eat a ton of their pre-packaged foods, just a few here and there, so it was mostly just by making sure I stayed within my points for the day/week and I did try to exercise more. I lost tons of inches. I'm trying to get back on the band wagon now, because I have sadly fallen off since June (summer is the busiest time of year for me, as well as the first part of the fall semester, so time just got away from me, and yeah, I'm good at making excuses). My TSH was around a 2 when I started Weight Watchers, so I dunno if it's harder to lose weight if the TSH is really high? I'm guessing it would be. I can't say for sure, since I can't honestly say I gave it a really good shot at losing weight when my TSH was higher.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search