Anyone hyper and pregnant?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out I was hyper after I was already pg. I previously had hypo but now have a growth on my thyroid gland.

I just feel aweful. I am on PTU but I still feel aweful. I just want to feel normal again. I am on 100mg a day of PTU. I just dont know if I can handle feeling this way the whole pregnancy. Is there anything I can do to feel better. I am so weak and my heart races all the time. I have no energy.

I also would like to know of others that are pg and have hyper.

Thanks

October 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Forgot to mention that my tsh is 0.01. One of the test they took for thyroid was 18 but I cant remember which one it was. I know the cut off is 12.

Anyways if someone could please respond. I need to know if its normal to feel this bad with hyper. And if there is anything I can do to feel better. The Dr said we could take it out while pg but I am just nervous about a surgery during pregnancy. They want to do a biopsy to and I am nervous about that.

October 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have not been hyper and pg but i wanted to respond. I was hyper before i had my thyroid removed and I felt awful! It was much worse than Hypo because my heart would race and skip beats and i would get soooo tired. My doc had me on meds to slow my heart rate in addition to PTU and that seemed to help a bit so maybe try that?

Im not sure about the pregnancy. When I was on PTU my doc told me that it was NOT compatible with pregnancy and that I should not get pg while one it. Obviously you were already pg when you found out so you didnt get that choice. It was scary because everything I read about PTU said that it can cause major birth defects, etc. I was told that removing the thyroid to reduce the amount of time you are on PTU would be better. I know there are different views on this though. So many people say they have perfectly fine pregnancies with thyroid problems and then there is so much literature out there saying how high the risks are, im not sure what to believe.
DD born 1/3/12

October 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I have never been hyper but everything that I've read, suggests that hyperthyroidism is not a condition that goes well with pg. My OB was pretty tight on making sure that my levels never went into hyper range. I also have read about the contradictions between pg and PTU. Do you know if your autoimmune? Being AI can cause symptoms even if your levels are kept under control. The racing heart I totally understand... when I got pg, my RE automatically upped my meds when they didn't need to be and I had horrible hyper symptoms. Luckily, I recognized them right away and switched back to the old dose.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

October 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I was very nervous about taking PTU. They told me if I did not take it that I would lose this baby. I am on a really low dose and they said the risk was low but the risk of not doing anything was way greater than taking the meds.

I am suppose to get a thyroid biospy today and I dont think I am going to. I really want to wait till after I have the baby. I only have 5 more mths to go and would feel safer if procedures were put on on hold till after the pregnancy. At the same time I dont want to keep taking meds but dont want to risk a surgery while pg either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search