newly diagnosed

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies!

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer. Long story short, I got my doctor to check my thyroid and it came back at a TSH of 4.03 (on a scale of .3-3.74 is what my doctor used). I was having terrible memory problems, fatigue, my hair was falling out, my periods stopped, and my joints hurt. I didn't really want to go on medication so I'm trying alternative treatment. I'm doing a nutritional supplement program through my chiropractor. It was all done on personal muscle testing. I'm not sure if any of you have tried it or heard of it. I am being treated primarly for thyroid issues as well as for the rest of my systems.

I have been taking the supplements for only 4 days and feel 100 times better. I really wouldn't believe it if I heard it from someone else. I have tons more energy and my hair has stopped falling out, at least not as much as it was. I'm wondering if you ladies can tell me, Do your symptoms decrease noticably as your TSH number gets back into a normal zone? I've been reading a little bit and am learning that my doctor should have also tested my T3 and T4 numbers. How do your symptoms and numbers all relate.

Thanks ladies!!

Also wondering if anyone has used muscle testing/nutrional supplements to balance your thyroid?

October 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Veteran
Sorry that you have not been feeling well, but I'm glad that you are starting to feel better! To answer your questions - yes, I have seen improvement in my symptoms and the way I feel as my TSH came down. I started at 54, and once I got down into a more normal range, I did see alot of improvement. I'm still trying to get regulated, since I am still trying to get my TSH lower than 2 (I don't seem to feel well even at 2), and also trying to get my Free T3 and Free T4 in the correct ranges. From everything I have read, and from my own personal experience, the T3 and T4 really matter as well, at least for probably most people. I say "most people" because there are some people like my mom, who has hypothryoidism (non-auto-immune) and her doc just checks her TSH, and it's a 1, and all she has done is take a generic drug (levothyroxine) for about 10 years, and she's fine! Me, on the other hand - totally different story of ups and downs and all over the place!
And as for your other questions about the muscle testing and nutritional supplements - I have not heard about the muscle testing, but I have a friend who has done nutritional supplements recommended by a chiropracter. She did that for probably 2-3 years, and seemed to feel pretty good. But then, something must have caused her thyoid to get thrown off again - which I have heard can happen - and she suddenly felt terrible and put on 40 pounds for no reason within a couple of months! I don't know the specifics of what set it off, and I'm not implying that that will happen to you. I think everyone has to find what works for them, and if nutritional supplements work for you, great! I personally do not feel comfortable taking just nutritional supplements, but for me it boils down to the fact that I have had just such a difficult time trying to "get back to normal" that I want to use something that I KNOW will work, without alot of experimenting, ya know? I use Armour, which is natural dessicated thyroid, rather than a synthetic drug like Synthroid. However, I know people that Synthroid works just fine for them. It probably depends on the individual person, and possibly how bad your condition is. Mine is auto-immune, so I have to be extra careful to avoid alot of the supplements that are out there that contain kelp and iodine, since those will make the auto-immune disease worse.
Wow, I wrote a book there, sorry it's so long. But anyway, bottom line? I hope you can feel better soon, and I'd say if it works for you and you feel comfortable with your plan of treatment, by all means, give it a try! I would just recommend checking your levels frequently to make sure it is working. Hope that helps!
October 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I went through a similar program through my chiropractor about 4yrs ago and it did NOTHING for me! I was on it for almost 7mos! It did the same for me where at first I was feeling better, but that didn't stay that way. It was a total waste of my money. You can go on natural thyroid supplements like Naturethroid or Armour. I would never recommend anyone try to combat it without supplementing. Now you can do other things to minimize the dose you're taking.

When I was diagnosed, my TSH was in the 50's. I notice that I feel the best when my TSH is about 1 and my free T3 and free T4's are at the high end of normal. Another thing you should find out, is if it's autoimmune. They can run the TPO test and tell you. Any presence of anti-thyroid antibodies will tell them that you're autoimmune. It helps a LOT in knowing how to combat it. HTH!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

November 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! My doctor said she wouldn't start "treating" me until my babe was 9 months old because she wanted my levels to stabalize. But I was feeling worse by the day. She said she would test my TSH again in a month but didn't bother to test any other numbers because she never thought my thyroid was a problem. I plan to go back and have her run another blood panel and see what my numbers are than, and have her test more than just the TSH.

Thanks again ladies. I'm going to hang around and learn from you all and I'll let you know what happens in the next couple of months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search