Tired and frustrated...

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
JennO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I have posted here before, many, many months ago. I am so, so frustrated and tired of thyroid issues. I have been hypo for years (auto immune) and on Synthroid or the generic. I have had 3 kids and am prego with my 4th. In my 3rd pregnancy as well as this one, my levels have been so off. With my 3rd, my TSH was 37 after 9 weeks and I was on some dose or another... The doctor checks my TSH every 3 weeks during pregnancy now and it has been too high. My first appointment was when I was only 5 weeks pregnant and my meds have increased every time I have had bloodwork. The problem is, I feel no better. This has gone on for a few years. Synthroid just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I have had 4 different doctors, 3 of them endos, and they only ever check TSH... even when I have asked. I do like my current doctor because she is very proactive. She doesn't make me wait for bloodwork or med increases when needed, but the lack of bloodwork bugs me. As well as her bedside manner. I asked about Amour and she asked me why she would prescribe something from a pig! Frustrating. Anyway, what other tests should I ask for??? I remember a tech thinking outloud once and said that it was odd, my TSH increased and yet my T4 didn't change. Is that normal? Thanks ladies for letting me rant!

November 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
...and I get no answers. LOL! Just like the condition itself! Oh well.

November 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what to say cause I am not that knowledgeable about it. I have only had it for a few years and am still learning about it and tsh's and t-3's and t-4's. Hopefully someone will see this and will be able to help you.

November 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry that you are not feeling well at all! I can totally sympathize that it is so frustrating to get "back to normal" with thyroid issues. But, don't give up! I have the exact same thing as you - autoimmune Hypo, and have been on generic, Synthroid, and now Armour. Here is what I suggest: 1.) find a new doctor - it does not sound like your doctor really knows what they are doing with diagnosing thyroid problems, especially after the comment she made about "why would she give you something that comes from pigs." And if she is ONLY checking TSH, she REALLY doesn't know what she is doing with thryoid problems. You need TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and Reverse T3 if you are on Synthroid. 2.) I would also recommend doing everything you can to find a doctor willing to give you Armour or another natural dessicated thryoid med such as Nature-throid. It's worth a try to see if you can feel better on another med; it's very possible that you could be allergic to one of the fillers in Synthroid (that is what my doc thought for me). Now, if you really just want to stick with your doctor and not switch, then I would just go in and nicely but firmly insist that you want other tests and a more aggressive approach to your treatment. Be very specific in explaining your symptoms. I did this with my endo, when I felt like he really wasn't taking me seriously, and he immediately agreed to the treatment I suggested, which was extensive tests and switching to Armour. I didn't yell or get ugly at all, but I was very determined for them to hear me out.
Another thing - there are some stickies on our board here that deal with how to find a thryoid doctor, so they might be helpful if you choose to switch. Are you on Facebook? If so, you might look up Mary Shomon, thryoid advocate, and "like" her and start reading the many links she posts for helping patients. Often fans will post thyroid questions on her wall, and she answers them personally!! Also, if you google Mary Shomon, she has alot of online articles on about.com, and they have really helped me alot.
Now I know you said you have three kids, one on the way, too. Wow, congrats! I'm sure you have your hands full, and between caring for children and being pregnant, I'm sure that is going to make you even more tired, including the thyroid problems. Try to go slow and take time to rest for yourself if you can (I know, with three kids, yeah, right! ). When I try to do too much and my stress level goes through the roof, my levels go up, too. I don't have alot of suggestions for thyroid problems during pregnancy - my thryoid gave out AFTER my second pregnancy, so I haven't had to deal with that yet. I sure hope you can find answers. And I sure hope you feel better soon! Let us know how it goes!
November 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you for your long response! I have heard of Mary and follow her on Facebook, but unfortunately don't end up getting a lot of computer time. I will try to attend! I have had several doctors in the last 2 years. The one I liked and will probably switch back to after pregnancy seemed the most receptive. She did test more than TSH, but I am forgetting what. I think it was Free T3.... anyway, the nurse was the one that made the comment about my levels, but I didn't understand it. The endo I see right now is an reproductive endo. I have had hypo for 17 years, diagnosed as a teen. It started getting really bad after my second baby. It makes sense that stress would send my numbers through the roof... Anyway, bed awaits. Getting bloodwork this week so we will see what happens this time.

November 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran
Wow, you poor thing - 17 years is a long time to deal with this, and I thought I had it bad with three years! I hope maybe you can get some answers with getting bloodwork done this week!
November 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
ITA with everything DaisyDuck said. You can try to work with the dr you already have and if they refuse to treat your hypo properly, find a new dr. I hated Synthroid. I hope you get some relief soon, hun! Oh.... and welcome back!

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) -2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) - 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Praying for our rainbow baby coming in March!

November 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't read all of DaisyDuck's response. SO bear with me if I repeat.

If you have auto-immune you should at the very least be eating gluten free, if not grain free completely.

You most likely need T3 and are probably not converting T4 to T3 so your body is asking for more hormone by increasing the TSH. But since you are not converting T4, awhich may even be normal to the usable T3 you are still feeling ill. Reduce your barbohydrates, take selenium and take 1000iu of vitamin D for every 25 pounds of your body weight. That should help.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the helpful info! I really feel like my condition needs to be re-evaluated. I was 18 when I had my initial testing which determined I needed Synthroid. Since then, it has been a roller coaster. My mom has Graves and is currently stable. It is so frustrating. I know pregnancy makes your levels even more unstable, but I feel like I am at the end of my rope! The last time I went to the endo, she raised my Synthroid to 200. I was on 150 before... My TSH was high again and it was always off by that same amount.... We would up the Synthroid, but it wasn't enough considering how much more I would need if that makes sense... so she upped it a lot. After 9 days, I started having heart issues, breathing, and being EXHAUSTED. Hard to figure that being overmedicated, getting too much Synthroid can make you so tired. But it is different from hypo tired... then you want to sleep all the time and just can't move. No motivation to do anything. When overmedicated, it is hard to settle down and get quality rest... thus you are really tired. Anyway, I still have to get my bloodwork. Hopefully tomorrow.

November 17th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Veteran
I was just going to add that for me personally, every time my meds are upped, it takes me awhile to adjust, and I almost always have heart palpitations/racing heartbeart/hard to settle down, etc. for maybe a 2-3 weeks. But then it's like my body adjusts and accepts the new amount, and I'm just fine. I don't know if that is what is happening to you when your meds are upped, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, for sleep issues, have you tried Melatonin? It's natural (our body naturally makes it), and OTC, and non-habit forming. I use it help me fall asleep and stay asleep since having thyroid problems has greatly affected sleep time. I believe it is safe for pregnancy, but of course, I would always just check with your doctor to be sure. Hope you can get that bloodwork done soon, and feel better!
November 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sleep issues can also be from magnesium defiency, and magnesium is safe for pregnancy

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck View Post
I was just going to add that for me personally, every time my meds are upped, it takes me awhile to adjust, and I almost always have heart palpitations/racing heartbeart/hard to settle down, etc. for maybe a 2-3 weeks. But then it's like my body adjusts and accepts the new amount, and I'm just fine. I don't know if that is what is happening to you when your meds are upped, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, for sleep issues, have you tried Melatonin? It's natural (our body naturally makes it), and OTC, and non-habit forming. I use it help me fall asleep and stay asleep since having thyroid problems has greatly affected sleep time. I believe it is safe for pregnancy, but of course, I would always just check with your doctor to be sure. Hope you can get that bloodwork done soon, and feel better!

Usually I adjust to dose increases without much of an issue. Honestly, I don't complain much. I have never called the doctor with an issue. I HAD to call the doctor after a few days because I felt like I was dying. It was terrible. I have two little kids at home all day and a girl in 1st grade and I was terrified that something was going to occur during the day. It was bad. Hopefully the levels are a bit better this time, had bloodwork today, but I have no idea how they will adjust it because the endo told me to skip 2 pills... Weird. I will bring the Melatonin up to the OB. I have an appointment this week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search