Hyperthyroidism

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
So I knew I had hyperthyroidism before I got pregnant (I am now nearly 13 weeks) but my insurance cut out right after I found out and it only recently started up again. I am now finally being treated, taking PTU and Labetelol (spelling?). My TSH is less than .001.

I'm very nervous that the PTU won't work or that I'll still have complications. Also, does having hyperthyroidism (especially before my first pregnancy) pretty much mean I most likely have Grave's Disease?

I go in for more blood work (my first since the PTU) in 9 days or so.

Also, to make matters worst, I have hyperemesis gravidarum which they think might be due partially to the hyperthyroidism and I've been hospitalized twice in the past 3 weeks. I'm on Reglan for that. I feel strange taking so many pills while pregnant...

Can anyone offer any experience/advice with hyperthyroidism and pregnancy? I'm very scared and I am beating myself up for not getting it treated earlier.
December 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran
I am sorry that I have nothing really to add. I don't know much about Hyper, since I am the opposite. I'm hoping someone else here can help you, and that you will be able to get answers and peace of mind. There may be some helpful links about some of this in the stickies on this board? Good luck, and keep us posted!
December 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I have auto hypo, so I can't exactly give you advice based of experience, but you def need to keep a tight watch on your levels. You should be tested every 4w and have your meds adjusted as needed. Hopefully, the ladies with hyper can chime in.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

March 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have hyper and I am 38wks pg. I started out taking 2 pills a day of ptu. They wanted to do the betablocker as well because my HR was so high. I still have issues with my HR being high. 120's at times. THey lowered the PTU as time went on to one pill a day which is a very low dose. I also have a large thyroid gland that keeps growing. They wanted to do the fine needle biopsy but I opted to wait till I have the baby and then do it. I can tell its gotten bigger because I feel pressure on my throat and sometimes cough due to it. They wanted to take it out while I was pg as well but again I opted to wait till after baby gets here. Didnt want to risk anything.

The PTU should help and get things under control. Just take it easy.

March 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandimomof2 View Post
I have hyper and I am 38wks pg. I started out taking 2 pills a day of ptu. They wanted to do the betablocker as well because my HR was so high. I still have issues with my HR being high. 120's at times. THey lowered the PTU as time went on to one pill a day which is a very low dose. I also have a large thyroid gland that keeps growing. They wanted to do the fine needle biopsy but I opted to wait till I have the baby and then do it. I can tell its gotten bigger because I feel pressure on my throat and sometimes cough due to it. They wanted to take it out while I was pg as well but again I opted to wait till after baby gets here. Didnt want to risk anything.

The PTU should help and get things under control. Just take it easy.
Oh wow, that sounds scary! I hope all goes well. They told me that my thyroid was large but they haven't discussed post-pregnancy treatment yet.

I ended up needing to go on Tapazole instead of PTU-- the PTU was badly affecting my liver. They also upped my dose of the beta blocker-- my HR was frequently in the 140s while resting! Now it's usually in the high 90s or low 100s. My blood pressure is back down to normal since increasing the beta blocker. Oh, and my thyroid levels are finally normal (and my liver is fine since getting off PTU). So yay!

I hope your thyroid gets better! I would have done the same thing and waited til after the baby for a biopsy/surgery.

March 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i had hyperemesis as well and was diagnosed with hyper when my son was 4 months old. i am pretty sure i had the hyper during the pg because i read that it causes hyperemesis. I was not treated for it because they "said" they did the thyroid tests and they were "normal" well at the time i didnt ask for numbers because i didnt know that normal doesnt always mean good with thyroid stuff.

I was put on PTU after my son was born and was told to absolutely NOT get pg while taking PTU because it causes birth defects. I did quite a bit of research and found the same info. BUT, i know several ppl online who took it with their pregnancies and their kids were totally fine. I think you need to treat the hyper and PTU is only of the only things that works so if you are already pg you cant go back in time.

See if you can get some Zofran for they hyperemesis, that is the ONLY thing that worked for me. I was on it until the day he was born to keep me from being in the hospital. It didnt get rid of the nausea but it kept me from vomiting. Reglan did nothing for me.

Im not sure about the graves disease...i do not have that. Usually your eyes will start to bulge some if that is what you have so look for that symptom.

Good luck to you!
DD born 1/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search