Iron & thyroid + TSH fluctuation

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies,
I hope I'm not intruding here - I'm not a regular poster and haven't been diagnosed with thyroid problems but I have a question.

In the past 9 months I've had 2 miscarriages so I'm being tested for recurrent miscarriages.

A month ago I had my blood tested a bunch of times.. on one occasion my TSH came back 1.6, another it was 2.1. Which I was happy with. Then last Tuesday it was 4.78! I've read it should be lower than 2 for TTC so I got concerned, and I'm also concerned about the fluctuation.

I was doing some research last night and read something about low iron levels causing an increase in circulating TSH. When I got the 4.78 reading I had been bleeding a LOT as my body was trying to get rid of retained tissue from the botched D&C. I am talking a LOT here.. I was wondering if the iron loss because of the bleeding could have caused the increased TSH?

I saw my RE after the 4.78 reading and she didn't mention it so either she hadn't looked at the result (it was taken as part of cycle monitoring and long term testing so maybe she didn't get to it) or doesn't think it's a problem but I'm worried.

Sorry about the long post. Thank you.

Baby girl born Feb 2013

December 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
You're welcome to ask us anything here! I'm wondering why the fluctuation in your TSH levels too. I would just suggest getting retested after the bleeding has stopped and see where it's at. I've never know of low iron levels effecting TSH, but nothing surprises me these days. SO sorry for your losses.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

December 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Stacey.
Thank goodness the bleeding has stopped and the RE confirmed the tissue is gone (got saved from a second D&C at the last minute). I am currently undergoing cycle monitoring (u/s and bloodwork every week) and they check TSH each time. The 4.78 reading was Tuesday and I had another draw on Friday - I get to see that result when I go back on the 4th (they're closed for the holidays).

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Last edited by Servilia; December 26th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
December 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm not sure about the iron/tsh connection. I finally got medicated two weeks ago after convincing my doctor that I needed it, so I'm relatively new. But......I would wonder about the loss/tsh level connection. I've heard that if your tsh levels rise to much during pg, it can cause a m/c, but your two previous levels were fine. hhmmm, this is a tough one. I would see what your results come back as next week, maybe we can help a little more than.

Sorry I wasn't more help. Hope you get some answers soon.

January 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HI ladies, update on me.
I went back today and my TSH was 8! Eeeek! Two weks ago it was 4.78. The RE wants to see me back there tomorrow and wants to precribe me 0.88 of some med.. not sure what.
Any input? I'm not sure quite what to ask.. maybe what did your dr want to see your TSH at during your pregnancy? Do you have any suggestions for me? The RE didn't mention testing T3 and T4 - I'm not sure if those hormones are really that important when it comes to subclinical hypothyroidism and miscarriages.

Thank you

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Last edited by Servilia; January 4th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
January 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Ummm.... when managing thyroid disease, monitoring the free T3 and Free T4 are key! NOT TSH. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, not thyroid hormones at all. I HIGHLY recommend getting Living Well With Hypothyroidism. A TSH of 8 is not subclinical, it's hypothyroidism. For most people, pg or not, they function best when the TSH is under 2. I have found that over 1 for me is too high. Im pretty sure at a dose of .88 it's Levox or Synthroid. Not the best treatment, IMO.

January 5th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HI and thanks Why would you say not the best treatment? A little actual input would be helpful when outright dismissing what my RE has suggested.
My RE said that even if T3 and T4 is normal, the TSH has to come under control for pregnancy because of something to do with TSH receptors in the uterine lining.. after two miscarriages I am willing to try it if it's what the RE recommends. I don't really have any clinical symptoms, although this is the first time we have seen it this high so the symptoms might kick in?
What I wonder is why it was normal every other time I was tested.. back in March I had bw done with my first pregnancy - it was somewhere between 2.0 and 2.5..
then right after my D&C it was 1.6 and 2.14. And then it rose in December.. I have read that hcg decreases TSH so maybe my hcg during these times was hiding an elevated TSH.
In any case I am starting synthroid tomorrow morning. I am still interested in hearing why you think it's not good treatment. I had another TSH test today, along with free T3 and free T4 and antibodies. I know that TSH is not "thyroid hormone" but it's a first step in determining that something might be off.
Thanks

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Last edited by Servilia; January 5th, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
January 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here to answer your question. First though, I'm so sorry about your losses! I hope you will be able to get the answers you need and have a happy, healthy pregnancy very soon! Several of us on this board take Armour instead of Levo or Synthroid. Levo and Synthroid are synthetic, and armour is natural (basically ground-up pig thyroid). The Armour also comes with T4 as well as T3, whereas Levo and Synthroid only give you T4. Most people have trouble with their body being able to convert the T4 into T3, and therefore, it is not the most effective drug on the market for thyroid problems. Like I said, Armour already has T4 and T3, so you eliminate the conversion problem. Alot of people take Synthroid and still feel awful, and alot of people switch to Armour and feel so much better. Stacey could tell you more what she meant, but I think that is probably what she was meaning.
I am not sure why all of a sudden your TSH has started to rise - I don't know alot about pregnancy and thyroid problems. I'm so glad to hear that you got your Free T4 and Free T3 and Antibodies test done - yay!! Those were the right tests to get! I think there are some stickies on this board about Armour, and you could research it more if you would like. Let us know how it goes, okay?
January 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yes to what Daisyduck said. That is exactly what I meant. Synthroid or Levo is only T4. 90% of thyroid patients will need to supplement with both T3 and T4. I am also curious to know why your levels are all over the place. It could simply be pg related and you don't actually have a thyroid condition. To know for sure, get the TPO test. It's the anti-thyroid antibody test. If any are present, it indicates an autoimmune condition and you simply could be catching the disease early. Not sure if that helps or just confused you more.

January 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! I have read about Armour on other sites too and it would be an option.. except I got my free T3 and free T4 results back.

The day after the TSH 8 reading, my free t3 was 6.7 (upper range of scale was 5.8) and my free T4 was 17 (scale 12-22). I haven't received my TSH for that specific day but the day before it was 8. So my free T3 was actually above normal. So I don't think I need any additional T3. I just don't get why my TSH is so high with normal free T4 and HIGH free T3. I spoke to a doctor friend about it and she suggested the increased TSH might have kicked T3 production into gear (the thyroid glad does produce some T3 in addition to T4) so I might have made more. I will find out my TSH from that day on Sunday. The only other thing I can think of is maybe I convert T4 too fast to T3.. so my T4 might dip low, hence the increased TSH. In any case I am on synthroid now and will have a follow up TSH test on Sunday (during cycle monitoring, they always include it), and have it retested along with free T4 and free T3 in a couple of weeks.

I also had antibodies (two kinds) tested 2 weeks ago so hopefully the results will be in on Sunday when I see the RE or next week.
I haven't had any horrible reaction to the synthroid. For a couple of days afterwards, I had some chest pain (bad I know) for like 3 second a couple of hours after taking it, but that has gone away.

Stacey, I've read that TSH is usually suppressed during pregnancy (especially first tri) because one of the thyroid hormones (or maybe TSH) shares a chemical subunit with hcg.. I forgot exactly what I read but it made sense at the time.. and the three times I got normal TSH results I had hcg in my system. I am interested in seeing the TSH from last Wednesday (the day after the 8 reading) to see what it was. I have also read that day of time can make a difference and that TSH is highest in the morning and gets lower as the day goes on. When I had my previous (normal results) testing done, that was always in the afternoon, and the higher readings (4.87 and 8) were in the morning. But who knows.. It could be that the latest miscarriage exacerbated my thyroid too.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

January 17th, 2011, 09:37 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems like you might have some post-pregnancy thyroiditis going on. That would be why your results were low and then sky rocketed. When the thyroiditis is present the thyroid is over active and then it quits and the TSH will rise quickly.

As soon as I saw your siggy I recognized it as one of the ones that I thought might want to have a thyroid screening. Your pre-O BBT is low, which can indicate a thyroid issue. It has been historically low too, not just after your most recent loss. Unfortunately, I have had too many people get upset when I mention it on the TTC boards, that I just sort of keep it to myself now. You probably wouldn't have been bothered, but twice burned and all that.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nutmeg,
I think (and hope) this was a pre-existing condition, not just post-pregnancy, for various reasons.
Yes I had noticed in the past that my BBTs were lower than normal and this worried me, but when my gp did my b/w during my first pregnancy he didn't bring up any thyroid issues so I assumed it was ok. And on paper my TSH was right in the beginning (had my b/w at like 4 weeks) but who knows whether my thyroid went off kilter a week or two later, causing my loss, kwim? Plus hcg suppresses TSH readings so it might have looked "ok" but wasn't really..

I hope my meds start kicking in! I've already started feeling less cold and my hands aren't freezing to the touch!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

January 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My thyroid condition is considered 'post-pregnancy' because it got really bad after I had my daughter, but I had it much longer than that. What happens with post-pregnancy is that your thyroid acts almost normal during pregnancy, but then gets really out of whack afterwards. So, mine was already acting up, then I never needed to increase my meds, I actually had to decrease during my 4th pregnancy. Afterwards, it shot through the roof again on the TSH.

That is the long winded way to say, it can be both pre-exisiting and still be post-pregnancy thyroiditis.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ok thanks for the clarification.
I find out Sunday whether I have thyroid antibodies (please let it be no!)

Baby girl born Feb 2013

January 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm my antibodies results still aren't back yet.. but my TSH has gone down to 0.90 after 2 weeks on the meds

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search