my introduction to the group!

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hi ladies! I have been lurking for a few weeks now, but decided it's time for me to join you guys. I am so glad I found this group. I wanted to give a little information on my status and treatment so far.

I am currently 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. No history of thyroid issues, no family history of any thyroid issues. I have a 1 y/o and 2 y/o (both boys!). When my now 1 y/o was about 6-9 months old, I realized that I was lossing way more than my baby weight even after I had stopped exercising. I briefly considered a possible thyroid problem, but never looked into it. Got pregnant when he turned a year old. When i was 8 weeks pregnant, my Dr told me I had subclinical hypothyroidism and started me on levothyroxine 50 mcg. At this point, she was assuming I was hypo as a result of this pregnancy. But at my next appointment (10 weeks preggo), i told her about my weight loss because I thought it was weird that I'd have a symptoms of hyperthyroidism when i am now hypo. After that she ran the antibody test and turns out I have elevated anti-TPO antibodies. I was told over the phone by the OB nurse, who said this indicates Hashimoto's. They have referred me to the high risk OB office. My dose of levo was also increased to 75 mcg.

So there ya have it! i have to say, I'm a little nervous. On the one hand, from EVERYTHING I've read, having treated hypothyroidism poses no risk for pregnancy. But I am anxious about having to see a high risk OB and being labeled high risk on my chart. I am also just nervous about finding out if I really have Hashimoto's or if this is something that will resolve itself after this pregnancy.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to getting to know you all!

Last edited by catiemac; December 29th, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
December 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Glad you came out of hiding. I also have Hashi's. Congrats on #3!! Feel free to jump right in! Are they testing you every 4w? I was on levo for a few years and did nothing for me. Armour and Naturthroid were the only meds that worked for me. Most people need a T3 supplement along with a T4 (Synthroid/Levox).
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

Last edited by The Purple Butterfly; December 31st, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
January 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the reply I am going to try to see an endocrinologist as soon as I can to make sure I know exactly what's going on. I saw the perinatologist and he says i definetly have hashimoto's, but I wonder if there's a chance I have post partum thyroiditis because I started getting the hyperthyroid symptoms when my last baby was about 8-10 months old. By the time he was a year old, I was pregnant again and having the hypo stage. Do you think there's a chance I just have PPT instead of Hashi's?
January 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
If you get the TPO test, then it'll tell you. Any presence of anti-thyroid antibodies will tell you if it's autoimmune. I developed it when DS1 was 2mos old and almost 8yrs later, here I am. It's very common to get it right after having a baby. Many times it's permanent.

January 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran
First, welcome to the group! Second, congrats on #3! I just wanted to encourage you that my SIL had a baby last year and she is hypothyroid, which meant she was also sent to see a perinatologist for frequent monitoring. I believe she was also labeled high-risk because of the thryoid, but I could be wrong. She had a smooth pregnancy, and the baby was/continues to be very healthy! I hope that helps to hear another story similar to yours with a great outcome. I, too, developed hashi's right after the birth of my second child, and am still trying to get regulated. For me, they have told me that mine is a permanent condition, but I have since done some research about how to reverse some of the symptoms (such as do a gluten-free diet, eliminate all soy products esp. in processed foods, etc.) I have high hopes of getting my condition under control and not allowing it to consume my life. KUP on how your appointment goes, please!
January 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I had insulin resistance AND hypothyroidism with Oliver.... I was never labelled high risk and only saw my OB. Never went to a peri. I don't see why it's high risk. I also had a VBAC. Never had a single issue.

February 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think I've been labeled high risk. My OB sent me to the peri for additional testing I assume since I was diagnosed with an autoimmune problem while pregnant, they wanted to take some precautions and rule out other complications that are associated with it. But I am pretty sure all that additional bloodwork came back normal so I shouldn't have to see the peri anymore throughout the pregnancy.
My TPO was 426 though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search