Looks like I'm joining the club

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran
Hi ladies! I have a 3 month old daughter, and after feeling miserably exhausted for the past several weeks, I had some blood work done that revealed "very low" thyroid levels. I meet with my doctor in 2 days to discuss exactly what this means and what needs to be done. I used to post in a due date club when I was first pregnant with my daughter but then life got busy and I stopped posting. I lurk from time to time, and I was glad to see that there is a community for those of us dealing with thyroid issues!

I was just wondering - is this issue likely to go away, or am I going to be stuck with it for life?

I'm sure as I learn more about my condition I will have lots more questions!
February 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran
Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you have not been feeling well! From what I understand, sometimes pregnancy can make your thyroid go whacky, and then it will stablize if it was just pregnancy related. But I also have heard that quite often, it is a permanent condition, although very treatable. Once your levels get back into the correct range, you should feel better. That's kinda the trick though, getting the levels in the correct range. Sometimes in can take awhile to find the correct dosage of meds that is right for you. Hopefully your follow-up appointment will shed more light on your situation, and I hope you feel better really soon!
February 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm Stacey, the host here. I've been autoimmune hypothyroid since spring of 03'. The first thing you really need to find out is exactly what your numbers were. Second, I HIGHLY recommend getting Living Well With Hypothyroidism. Excellent book! Be aware that most drs will just put you on Synthroid and call it a day. For many of us, that was never good enough. Synthroid is a T4 supplement. Your body needs T3 as well. If you decide to go on Synthroid or Levox, you will need to get on a T3 supplement like Cytomel too. Most here on this board take Armour. It's a natural T4 and T3 combo supplement. I love it.

Let us know how your appointment goes!!

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
February 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran
Thanks for your input! So, at my appointment, my doctor explained to me that my TSH was low, making my slightly hyperthyroid. He also tested my Free T4, which was in normal range. Based on this, he thinks that I am dealing with post-partum thyroiditis, and that it will get back to normal the further away I get from delivery. I requested to know my exact levels, and here's what they were:

TSH - 0.01
Free T4 - 1.6

So, no medicine. I'm just supposed to wait it out. I don't really want to be medicated, but it's frustrating that I am SOOOOOOOO tired and there's nothing much I can do about it.

Does this info sound about right? I appreciate all of your thoughts as you ladies seem quite knowledgeable and have been dealing with this much longer than I have!
February 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I would get retested in another 30 days if I were you. If you're experiencing symptoms and the dr won't put you on meds... get a new dr. There's a link in the stickies to finding a good thyroid dr. There are certain foods to avoid that can cause inflammation. Such as soy, many grains (Meghan can jump in on this one), non-organic/processed foods (the hormones in dairy/meats, pesticides in produce) etc. I believe the informational sticky has that in detail. I REALY think you need to get the TPO test. It tests for anti-thyroid antibodies. If any are present, you are autoimmune and this condition is NOT PP only. It won't get better on it's own. Only worse.

I hope you start to feel better soon, hun.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
February 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Hi there, sorry about the news. My experience is that pregnancy fried my thyroid. After the same kind of exhaustion, no AF, and recurring sinus infections I was finally tested 8 months PP. My levels were off the charts Hypo. They told me I'd be on meds for the rest of my life. 2.5 years later I'm finally at a dosage where my levels are coming back correct. It takes time and the right doctor to get things within a normal range, so stick with it and be your own advocate.

BTW the wealth of knowledge on this board is astounding. I've learned so much that my DR never told me. I have Hashimotos Hypothyroidism, an autoimmune condition that for me was triggered by pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search