Hashimoto's or post partum thyroiditis?

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's by my OB/peri, but when i ask about the possibility of it being PPT instead, they seem very uneducated on the difference between the two. Here is a brief history:

October 2009: Had my second son

Summer 2010: noticable hyperthyroid sysmptoms such as weight loss of 15 lb, dry hair, much more frequent bowel movements; but I never saw a Dr

November 2010: got pregnant with 3rd child
-at 8 weeks: diagnosed hypothyroid (TSH was 7)
-at 11 weeks: diagnosed with Hashimoto's (TPO AB were 426)
-at 15 weeks my TSH was 4.6

I have gone from 50 MCG to 75, and now to 100 and I am 18 weeks pregnant.

I wonder if I could have PPT because my hyper symptoms appeared when my son was around 8 months old. From what I've read, PPT is an autoimmune response as well, so TPO AB would be present with that as well. I have no family history of thyroid problems at all, although other autoimmune problems are present in family members. I am finally seeing my endocrinoligist next week, so I'm hoping he can give me a better explanation than my OBs have been able to. But I was wondering what you all thought.

Last edited by catiemac; February 9th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
February 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems you are like me. You had PPT with your son, and now have regular old hypothyroid. If you had PPT only then your thyroid would be better during pregnancy, not worse.

Mine still have a pregnancy component. When I am pregnant I never require an increase in my meds. My TSH lowers without it. Normally during pregnancy it increases. So, mine is both. Pregnancy thyroiditis and Hashimoto's.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I'm not sure. I found out I had very extreme hypothyridism 8 months after having my daughter. I went from super skinny high metabolism to still carrying around 30lbs of baby weight 3 years later. I'm on 137 but was up to 175 a year ago. Since Hashimotos (which I found out I have last year) is autoimmune it doesn't lead me to believe that it's a temporary condition. But I do believe that things like diet, pregnancy, and other factors can lend to its severity. When I was diagnosed my tsh was in the 300's - I had an inactive thyroid and was told I will be on meds for the rest of my life. I think this is what can happen when you go untreated for too long.

February 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
The presence of anti-thyroid antibodies suggests to me that it's Hashi's and not just PPT. I've not read that ABO would be + with PPT, but I could be wrong.

ETA: I also never needed an increase in my meds during pg. My levels were great the whole time.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search