pregnancy and breastfeeding

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,
I am 21 weeks along with our 9th little one . After number 8, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Actually my TSH was "normal" but I felt like I got hit by a bus. My doctor agreed to treat me, so I have been on Armour since December. My TSH is now 1.99 and I feel really really good. But my question for you all is, is bfing harder because of thyroid disorders? I have tried after all my births to nurse and I honestly just don't make anything. My bra size never changes, I never get engorged (for maybe a day when whatever milk I have comes in) and thats it. Baby's seem to latch good, but just don't have any wet or dirty diapers, so I know they are not getting much if anything. I have tried almost everything to increase my supply to no avail. Is this a problem for anyone else? Now that I'm being treated, does that improve my chances do you think? I've always struggled to bf, and I am pretty sure I wasn't hypo during my other births, but just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Thanks ladies. And I want to thank all of you have put together websites and all the useful info. It made a huge difference to me. I felt like an educated person when it comes to talking to my doctor about my thyroid.

May 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Veteran
Hi and congrats on number 9! Wow, so exciting! I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling really good with your thyroid, especially during pregnancy. I cannot say for sure about milk supply with a thyroid problem, but here are my thoughts. Although I was not diagnosed with a thyroid problem right after my second child was born, I'm sure that I developed it and just didn't realize it. I felt awful, but didn't know if it was just post-partum related or not. I struggled with milk supply after my second, so it COULD be the thyroid, or it could be because I had had a c-section for that one. I honestly don't know which (or if both) affected my milk supply. Just my opinion here, but I DO think that it will increase your chances of good milk supply since your thyroid condition is well under control. I am now almost 7 weeks pregnant with our #3, and I've been thinking about this very thing. I hope others can jump in on this. I hope you continue to have a H&H pregnancy, and that you will continue to feel good with your thyroid.
May 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had hypothryoid on Synthroid, and a c/s and my milk came in on day 4, and I started EBF on day 7, and EBF for 6 months--I had to keep eating lots of oatmeal and lots and lots of water, but it got done--I'm anticipating bottling and breast this time at first, since bean will likely be in NICU again and bottled for four days, but my goal is to ebf again
May 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I actually haven't had any issues. I BFed DS2 (was dx with Hashi's after DS1) until 2yo. I think having a tight control over thyroid levels will be key. Be sure that the 1st 6mos PP, you are being tested every 6w since your hormones will fluctuate quite a bit after having a baby. I will say that I noticed my supply was lower with DS2 than it was with DD or DS1, but not low enough that I couldn't EBF. You may need to do extra stuff to increase your supply.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

November 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
This post is really late, however maybe some one could benefit from it if I responded.
I was diagnoised in 2001 with hypothyroidism after the birth of my first child. I nursed him for the first 8mos and didn't know I was hypothyroid so my milk dried up. It was a pain to finally get to a normal level and took many years. In 2005 I became pregnant with my second child. Nursed successfully and exclusively for 2 years with him. I became pregnant with my third child in 2008 and was going to ween my 2nd child slowly because I actually wanted him to self ween, however I couldn't personally handle tandem nursing, I felt weird doing it. So my 2nd child unfortunately was forced to ween when my 3rd child was around 2 weeks old. My 3rd child was breastfed to 2.5 years old when I finally had to ween him. My milk started to dry up because I was having thyroid problems again.
To sum it up, I breastfed 4.5 years straight, no breaks...even breastfed while pregnant. But I did dry up when I have thyroid problems. So in my experience I had zero breastfeeding problems while my thyroid was in normal limits for me. When it wasn't I dried up rather quickly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search