Just had a Total Thyroidectomy - Need some recovery advice

Forum: Thyroid Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thyroid Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2012, 03:53 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Hi Ladies,
It's been a long time and a long road since I last posted here. In a nutshell after 4 years post baby my Hashimoto's was uncontrollable, my immune system made it so toxic I had a major thyroid storm in November, it was frightening and awful. 2-3 months after that I was in Ha****oxicosis - hypo/hyper flux. My DR said to just get it out in December and my surgery was on Monday morning.

I got home yesterday afternoon, they kept me overnight due to abnormal EKG post op but the Echo yesterday was normal. I'm having some congestion and coughing is REALLY painful. (not sure if this is related to the flu shot they gave me yesterday, man my arm is sore). Even blowing my nose is painful. I'm in A LOT of pain, my neck all the way around, the base of my skull from the positioning during surgery, my throat from being intubated, etc Holding my head up hurts, hell everything hurts.

Does anyone have any advice on how to relieve pain aside from the pain killers? I'm home alone all day today and tomorrow, I can't really return to work until I can drive and the pain makes mobility very limited and slow.

I made some home made chicken soup before my surgery that I've been eating, I can eat most things as long as I chew well. Ice/cold feels good but I'm not sure if I should give up the ice for hot tea...

Any recovery advice is welcomed. Thanks in advanced.
Cyndee

January 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran
Aww, I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time getting the thyroid condition under control. I can certainly sympathize!! While I don't have any real advice for recovery from the surgery, I just wanted to say I hope your recovery will go smoothly and that it will bring relief from the difficult symptoms you were experiencing for the last four years.
January 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Thank you!

A week post op and I'm doing much better. The bear of my recovery was getting the flu the day after, it made the first 4-5 days hell. I went to my GP who said it was probably viral and gave me cough syrup with codeine which helped.

I returned to work today and surely on the mend. A lingering cough and swelling at the incision site still and tenderness is my only complaint. The steri strips are starting to fall off but it's not looking pretty under so I'm putting some new ones over the last one to keep it for another 3-5 days to be safe. My follow up isn't until Feb 10th.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search