Anyone have aunts and uncle younger then your children ?

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Regular
My parents are divorced and both got remarried. My dad's youngest girl is 5 and Jake is 6. My boys know that my dad's other kids are my siblings and their aunt but we never make Jake go ' Aunt Brinley ' they are more of cousins then aunt-nephew kind of thing.

I was telling a person about it today and she said that my boys should call them Auntie. Wouldn't that be weird ? Going to the same school with your Aunt who's the same age as you and calling her Aunties in front of your friends ? I don't even think she wants to be called auntie. My dad and his wife have no problem with it. What do you think ?
July 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Veteran
I got remarried to a man thats 13 years older than me. he has a 21 year old daughter who just had a baby, we have one due in 2 months wich will be her babies uncle.
theres a huge age gap.. between the siblings, but i love starting over...

July 21st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say calling them aunt or uncle would be way too weird, they're in the same generation, they should grow up more as friends and cousins and I think sticking blindly to a label to name each other would be uncomfortable for THEM.

My ex husbands dad had a brother who had a son who was I think 7 when DH was in his mid 20s it was kind of weird but while the brothers (exs dad and his brother) were within only a few years of eachother one brother started having children in his 20s and the other waited until his 40s. So they were cousins, but had nothing in common and really no relationship, unlike my children and their young cousins who are all within just a few years of them.

Thank you so much -Vicki-for my siggie

July 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think they have to call their aunt and uncles by a formal name. Especially when they are they same age. My son had a uncle / nephew combo on his baseball team. They are less than a year apart and everyone knows they are related but just thinks they are cousins.

>
July 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
TaraakaMom's Avatar CoHost Survivors of Abuse
Send a message via MSN to TaraakaMom Send a message via Yahoo to TaraakaMom
I think that if everyone is ok with it then there is no need.

The greatest love, is the love of a child
July 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
well, not younger, but my brother is nine years older than my son, and ten years younger than me. they're almost like brothers. they do say uncle, because of the age difference, but sometimes it's just "mikey" "brian and "ping" (nickname for my sis). my step-sisters are my age, and they are aunt bee (brittany/bree) and aunt tiff.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search