What is your biggest worry about having your children so far apart?

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What is your biggest worry about having your children so far apart?

>
August 25th, 2009, 07:00 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My biggest worry is they will have nothing in common and not share a bound. My children will have different fathers so I am sure they will act different than each other... but I don't know.

Thank you Claire1979!
August 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
mine is that is something ever happens to me,,, Cori will end up taking care of Trisha.. & thats something i know she'd do in a heart beat tho.. she loves her little sister already so much...it's soooo wonderful

August 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
My biggest fear is that my daughter will become a little mommy. I know that might not make sense, but my oldest brother was forced into that role for my other brother and I. He didn't seem to have much of a childhood of his own because he was so wrapped up in taking care of us... (okay, so my family may have been a little disfunctional too, but whose isn't, right Anyway, I just want my oldest daughter to enjoy her childhood and have a sister she can play with. regardless of the age difference.

I'm also afraid that she'll feel jealous of the baby for taking all of mommies time.. I've tried to prepare her as best I can, but being an only child for so long, I know it's going to be an adjustment. Anyone else have advice on how to make a smooth transition from only child to sibling???
August 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My biggest worry is that they won't bond as much as they should. They are half bro and sister, and Hailee is so into her friends and stuff right now that she doesnt pay too much attn to Nevan. Also Im worried she might get into trouble as a teen and not be a great influence on Nevan when he is 5 and she is 16ish.

I am planning to have another though when he is 3ish.. so he can have a closer in age sibling.

August 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Veteran
I had similar fears when I was pregnant with my LO; my older son was 13 when the baby was born. Having been an only child for so long, I was worried about how he'd take to the baby.

They are now 2 and soon to be 15 and they couldn't love each other more. My older son is VERY good with his little brother and little brother completely idolizes his older brother. My oldest often talks about being able to "be there" for his little brother when he's 15 and my oldest is 27. I love to hear that because it puts my mind at ease. Also, me and my sister next to me DO NOT get along (and we're only 4 years apart); initially, I was very worried and wanted so much for my children to get along with one another. Now, my oldest sister and I (she's 23 years older than me) get along very well.
September 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
MelissaT1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our girls are 11yrs apart (Savannah is almost 13yrs old and Delaney is 13months). Savannah loves her sister, and even though they are so far apart in age I believe they will be close as adults. My mom and her sister are 16yrs apart and have been best friends most of their adult lives. We have a little one due in Nov. (girl #3) and I am glad that Delaney will also have an opportunity to have a sibling to grow up with. Savannah on the other hand was perfectly happy being an only child for 11yrs. It all works out.

Our beautiful girls, Savannah, Delaney, and Avery

October 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
The fear I had when I was pg with Braxton was that Walker would be jealous and he would pick on the baby to get attention.. Since he had been the only child for so long. I feared that he would think we wouldn't have enough love to go around..
October 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
TaraakaMom's Avatar CoHost Survivors of Abuse
Send a message via MSN to TaraakaMom Send a message via Yahoo to TaraakaMom
Right now wold be for them to have something in commen. Kali is 10 (11 in Feb) and Alaina will be 6 in November. And at their ages now, its hard for them to find things to do together that both can do or enjoy.

Also harder to do fun things. Kali is so over the Easter Bunny and Alaina is very much into the Easter Bunny. Same with Santa, and Halloween etc.

As the get older, I think they will get along far better/easier. And become closer.

The greatest love, is the love of a child
October 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
My biggest issue right now is that my 3 year old daughter is growing up a little too fast because she has an almost 13 year old sister. I have to be very careful with the exposure my 3 year old gets to some of the stuff my 13 year old is into. It is an ongoing thing we deal with in our house. Camryn is really into fashion and getting into boys a little bit. She would like to put up posters of boys and Twilight and stuff but I have to curb that a little because she has a much younger sister. Thankfully, my older daughter completely understands so she uses a lot of her posters in scrapbooks, like the ones from teen beat and bop magazines, those kinds of things. I ask that she paint her nails in her room while Anna is busy doing something else. We do make up parties after Anna is in bed, just stuff like that. My Camryn is growing up faster than I'd like and I certainly do not need a 6 year old who is acting like a 15 year old in a couple years!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search