Kids being mistaken for parents?

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
So, I'm just visiting, the widest spacing between my kids is 3 years, so I certainly am not a member of this board, but I am on a vacation right now where we drove out here. In one city in Kansas we stopped and had Dairy Queen, while inside I witnessed a conversation where a girl I could have easily mistaken for 20, I found out was 14 and her much younger brother I heard always gets mistaken for her son. Anybody have this issue with their kids?

January 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
My oldest son is 17, my daughter is 16, my youngest son is 4 and I have one on the way, a girl. My poor oldest son gets mistaken for being my husband quite a bit. Of course I'm flattered but he is completely mortified, but takes it well. I had my oldest two when I was younger but also I know these days it's so hard to tell how old people are anymore. When my youngest son first started at his preschool, my older son would be with me during drop off and pick up. After being there for a couple weeks, I realized they made this mistake when we walked in and they said, "Daniel, your mommy and daddy are here."
January 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Super Mommy
That is too funny! I have an 8 yo and one on the way, so I don't anticipate that problem!
January 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM
Crystal78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids are 11, 9, 8 and 3 mos so it hasn't been an issue.

January 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hey, I'm definitely a lurker (I actually don't lurk in this board, just stumbling through), but this happens to me all the time. I'm 20 (and the oldest of 9) and my youngest 2 siblings just turned 4, so I understand where they're coming from. It's perfectly plausible that a 16 year old could have a kid, plus they probably over-estimate my age. If I'm out with them by myself, it makes sense to think they're are mine. But it started happening when I was 13, which was horribly embarrassing.

What's amusing now is that people think that the youngest 2 are mine, even if we're out with our mom. Especially if we have the other set of twins with us (my mom's 4 youngest are 2 sets of identical twins). People assume that my mom and I are sisters and that the older twins are hers and the younger twins are mine.

At one point, we just had the youngest twins with us and I was asked which one of them was mine. (I guess she thought we were sisters who had babies at the same time, who looked exactly alike, and decided to dress them in the same clothes?)

What's particularly funny is that they think my mother is my sister and that my sisters are my daughters. It's almost ironic
February 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It happened to me and my DS (14) once when we were out right after the birth of my DD (8 months). Someone asked him if Daddy was getting much sleep and he didn't know what to say! I had to step up and say that he was my son also and the poor lady was mortified Needless to say, my DS doesn't care to go out with us anymore unless his dad is there

February 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
My oldest always gets mistaken for being my mom's kid and not mine. My mom is 46, I'm 29 & she is 10.

February 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids are only 5 years apart, but this topic caught my eye.

I am 14 years older than my brothers (twins) and I spent many years being taken for their mother. Sometimes people assumed that my older brother (older by 2 years) and I were the parents (ewwwww), sometimes they assumed that my dad and I were the parents (double ewwwwwwww). When they were born my dad took my oldest brother, 19 at the time, to visit them in the NICU and the nurse said, "Oh look, we have Dad and Grandpa here to visit!"

As a teenager it bothered me a lot, mostly because I didn't like the looks from people who assumed I was a teenage mother. Their obvious disgust really irked me. It didn't scar me for life or anything, though.

February 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
My DS and I are 17 years apart, so everyone thinks that he is my little brother. DH and I are going to start having more babies, and my ds will probably be 16 when we have are first baby, so I suspect people will think that the baby is his.
February 10th, 2011, 06:26 AM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
That must be so mortifying. I couldn't even imagine! My oldest is 9 and my youngest is 1 so I don't see that being too much of a problem. At least yet. We plan on having one more in the next year or two, so I guess we'll see!
February 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Lyric's Avatar Veteran
Wow... I'd never really thought about that, but I can see how it could happen. We run a private guitar school, and there are times when people bring in the younger kids for lessons, and I'm not quite sure how to address them.

With my son being 11 years older than his upcoming younger sibling, I doubt we'll get that, but I guess you never know.
♥ and excited to meet Milo, #2 due Feb 1, 2012! ♥

May 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
It is kind of fun for parents, but poor siblings, it takes time to adapt and be happy!
May 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Super Mommy
I'm lurking and I thought this topic was so interesting. My daughter just turned 13 and she loves my son, who is only 3 months old. When we go out, my daughter holds and talks to the baby and people give us the strangest looks. At first I didn't know why but then I realized that they thought she was the mother. UGH. Someone even asked her once. It's strange and mostly I just let people think what they want...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search