New here HOW many times have you heard "Was it planned?"

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Veteran
Hi there, New here!
I am 33, I have 2 girls aged 10 and 12.
Now pg with #3 (boy due july 15th)<-planned

Yes, I have had people approach me who have heard that I am pg and actually say "Oh, is it good or bad news?"
I reply "Oh yes this was planned"

I can understand peoples curiosity...but where did peoples manners disappear to? "Was it planned"
What difference does it make, would they send commiserations if so?

My story is, I always wanted another child but dh and I were not in a position to, both with work etc. Finally 10 years later, we were good to go

My 12 year old dd is happy but my 10 year old dd isnt impressed with sibling rivalry already.
I have tried to involve her in everything, shes getting there but still semi resistant

I need to read some books on this "how to settle in" period with them

anyway nice to meet you xxx
Lou
January 13th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Regular
Try looking into "birth order" too. Your 10 year old is the baby, and now she will be the middle child. Understanding birth order is a big deal. You can tell a lot about a person from where they fall in the family's pecking order.
January 15th, 2013, 09:57 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
we are in a similiar situation: ds is 14, dd is 12, and new baby is due in June! I also wanted a baby for a long time, but had to wait for a "better" time. Just about everyone we have told has asked us if it was planned. We are all pretty excited !

March 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Regular
I'm scared of this happening to us! I've never been quiet in my desire to have a large family (if you call 4 large) but our families are the type to never really be happy when a new child is announced...
May 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
I have been asked this by friends and strangers. My sons are 12 and 14 and my daughter is 8 weeks. They seem a bit embarrassed when I say she was planned, but a surpise after 6 miscarriages.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

August 11th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
My littlest was very much planned. After sticking a thermometer in my mouth at 6 AM every morning for two years, facing the possibility of liquidating my life savings for procedures that might not even have worked, and then trying "one last time" after essentially giving up my dream of having another child, it definitely puts me on the defensive when people assume that he is the result of laziness, ignorance, and promiscuity and scold me for "forgetting" to use birth control.

My ex-baby was 16 when ds was conceived but he had the same issues your 10 year old is dealing with. Being the youngest in the family was part of his identity. He was also overly concerned about my health during the pregnancy.

Once ds was born, things changed; he adores his little brother and my only worry is that he sometimes tries to take on too much of a parental role and needs to be reminded that he has the rest of his life to be a daddy to as many children as he can take care of, but he only has this one chance to be a big brother.
October 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
ryleighmom's Avatar Member
I got this question all the time while I was pregnant with my son. My daughter was 15 when he was born. I really thought it was rude when someone phrased it as "was this pregnancy a mistake?" People are so rude!
November 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
New here. I'm glad I haven't gotten that question (yet). The closest was 'are you excited'. I think a lot of people just don't think before they speak sometimes.

January 25th, 2014, 04:30 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I have NEVER been asked that… I think I would give them a crazy look…

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search