blythe

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where in Ohio do you live? I saw in the TRUTH/LIE game that you live near an Amish communty. I live on the Knox/Holmes County line and work in Millersburg sometimes.

</div>
August 16th, 2006, 11:50 AM
blythe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Where in Ohio do you live? I saw in the TRUTH/LIE game that you live near an Amish communty. I live on the Knox/Holmes County line and work in Millersburg sometimes.[/b]
I know your area and LOVE it there. We go to Holmes County/Millersburg about once a year. My favorite restaurant is in Charm called the Homestead Restaurant. I also love Lehman's Hardware in Kidron. I live in Wyandot County next to Hardin County. In Hardin County near Kenton and Mount Victory are a bunch of Amish families. There are a bunch of roads there where you can drive down and see one Amish family homestead after another. There's also a bulk food store where the Amish buy stuff and hitch their horses outside. Also there are a few "stores" based out of Amish homes there where we buy eggs, baked goods, lumber, fruits/vegetables, furniture, etc. That's about 12-15 miles away. Sometimes we just go for drives to watch them working in the fields or the kids playing outside. My kids love it too.

August 16th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its beautiful country here, but its not so great being neighbors with the Amish. They tear up our roads (they don't pay road taxes) with their metal buggy wheels (HUGE potholes in the spring). Their horses poop all over the roads and, if you're not good at dodging it, it ends up on your car. My mom had to have the back part of her mini-van repainted cuz the horse poop ate through the clearcoat! They only bathe once a week (at least the community here does) and you can imagine what standing behind them in line at the local grocery store is like.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some good Amish. But the community/church that has settled here is not typical Amish, I think. They're rude, smelly, they talk down to non-Amish if they bother to speak to you in English at all, opportunistic, etc. The Amish teens have the foulest mouths I've ever heard, and thats just what I can understand. They speak Dutch too! I've gotten the impression that if they could run all of us non-Amish out of here, they'd have a big barn-raising on the square. LOL

There is one funny thing about them. The Amish teens here like gangsta rap. Yes, you read that right! LOL Imagine sitting on your front porch at 1am and you hear *clip clop* coming down the street. A few seconds later, you hear Tupac or Snoop Dog blaring from a boombox in the buggy! LMAO DH says he heard AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long" one night. LOL

</div>
August 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM
blythe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Its beautiful country here, but its not so great being neighbors with the Amish. They tear up our roads (they don't pay road taxes) with their metal buggy wheels (HUGE potholes in the spring). Their horses poop all over the roads and, if you're not good at dodging it, it ends up on your car. My mom had to have the back part of her mini-van repainted cuz the horse poop ate through the clearcoat! They only bathe once a week (at least the community here does) and you can imagine what standing behind them in line at the local grocery store is like.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some good Amish. But the community/church that has settled here is not typical Amish, I think. They're rude, smelly, they talk down to non-Amish if they bother to speak to you in English at all, opportunistic, etc. The Amish teens have the foulest mouths I've ever heard, and thats just what I can understand. They speak Dutch too! I've gotten the impression that if they could run all of us non-Amish out of here, they'd have a big barn-raising on the square. LOL

There is one funny thing about them. The Amish teens here like gangsta rap. Yes, you read that right! LOL Imagine sitting on your front porch at 1am and you hear *clip clop* coming down the street. A few seconds later, you hear Tupac or Snoop Dog blaring from a boombox in the buggy! LMAO DH says he heard AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long" one night. LOL[/b]
I know what you're talking about....When Amish kids become teenagers they go through a period of freedom called "Rumspringa"(Dutch or German word) for up to 6 years or so where they can decide whether or not to continue on with their faith/life or become "Englishers". I've read that 95% of the AMish teens decide to go back to their AMish way of life without the rap music, the conveniences etc. I guess it's probably a good idea to let them be able to see the "English way of life" for a while. I know what you mean about the hygiene issue too. I would love to be Amish so I could quilt and sew and garden and can my own food and have a big, plain house and have a bunch of kids and farm and have animals and live simply but THEN I couldn't take my 30 minute showers 2x day or have the internet. HA! Plus, I love my van... And I really love to sleep in and have good health insurance. HAHA So I guess I wouldn't be a good AMish after all....it's just my little daydream on occasion.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search