Childhood...

Forum: Widely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Widely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
AnnikasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AnnikasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AnnikasMommy
Is there anything from your chlidhood you enjoyed but unfortunately your children will never get to experience?

I was thinking how we lived so far out in the boonies that it wasn't anything for me to go to a neighbors house a mile away by myself at the ripe ole age of 8. Now you don't even let your kid walk a few doors down without you watching them from the yard or walking them there. All the kids would also get together and go to the pond to go fishing. Now you wouldn't dare let your kids do that. I think we had a bit more freedom growing up then kids do now.

March 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Jendaly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Jendaly Send a message via Yahoo to Jendaly
Yes, I teld to agree with you. I wish we were able to offer our children the freedom that we had. I would leave with the neighbor kids on our bikes early in the morning, comeback for lunch and head out again until dinner. I would never let justin out of my sight for that long!! I also remember all the neighborhood kids playing kick the can until after dark. The ages ranged from 5-18. Now, kids have too many other things to do, video games to play, too cool to play with the younger kids!!
March 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Quote:
The ages ranged from 5-18. Now, kids have too many other things to do, video games to play, too cool to play with the younger kids!![/b]
That's how it was with us. We had a wide range of kids that played together. We were all a bunch of bumkins and our houses were far apart. We were never home during the summer. I remember all of us camping together on one farm or the other. I wish Annika could experience what I did growing up.

March 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
blythe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up in town and I rode my bike with my friends all over our neighborhood very early on...and my parents were even considered over-protective then. When I was about 9 or so, we played all over the neighborhood and my only rule was "be back home when the street lights turn on". I had a great childhood, playing outside mostly.

It makes me sad too because my older DS has a rare genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and he breaks bones easily so I won't let him ride his bike much any more at all for fear that he'll fall and break his arms or legs. He spends a lot of time inside playing video games and watching TV and I hate it...I make him read books although he doesn't want to and I try to get him to help me garden and work outside painting, etc. I won't let him go on anyone's trampoline or roller blades, etc because of his E~D Syndrome. It's frustrating for both of us.

March 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Kaypea's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto on the whole freedom thing...we lived out in the country and played in little creeks and up logging trails and in places I would never let my kids go now, too far away from home! BUT I also grew up in an area with hardly any kids. The only kids around moved away when I was 8 so I spent a lot of time on my own and I love that there are kids all around us where we live now........

March 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM
LeeG's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in complete agreement on the freedom we had back then. (I can't believe I just typed "back then"... Now I'm feeling old! ) The world just seemed much more SAFE.

I grew up out in the country on a ranch/farm with thousands of head of cattle and lots of other critters too. It was a great childhood, though to be honest, I didn't always think so. And when I wanted to see my friends, I'd hop on the three-wheeler and scoot to town or if they lived rurally, I'd often ride my horse. We played outdoors alot and usually quite far from home. Now, I can't imagine letting my children go off to play and not knowing their EXACT whereabouts.

March 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Quote:
It makes me sad too because my older DS has a rare genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and he breaks bones easily [/b]
My neice has the same problem. She can be walking across the parking lot and break her ankle. They didn't diagnos her till she was almost 13. I remember each summer her coming to visit and she would have a cast on.

Quote:
I'd often ride my horse.[/b]
I did that a lot also. I enjoyed being by myself at times so I would go off where ever my little heart desired. It's ashame that the world we now live in (which isn't that many years later) has to be such a scarey place.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search